Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#704295 - 03/21/07 05:24 PM UTMA Accounts
CrashDavis Offline
Gold Star
I guess this is the forum to ask this question. When a child under the age of 21 opens an account with your bank and say it is a checking account for his use. I know that minors cannot legally enter into a contract but does the account have to be set up as a UTMA account. This is the money that the person could be earning in his job.

Then how do you do CIP on the customer.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#704356 - 03/21/07 05:50 PM Re: UTMA Accounts CrashDavis
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We do not consider anyone 18 or older as minors.

We also will not open a DDA account in a minor's name only, they must be joint with an adult.

We will refer to our internal CIP for guidence as this has been addresses in our CIP procedures.

Return to Top
#704450 - 03/21/07 06:40 PM Re: UTMA Accounts #Just Jay
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Baseballfan, it depends on your state laws. Georgia allows banks to open up accounts for minors as long as they can print/sign their own name. However, we do not follow that guideline and require it to be an UTMA or a joint account with a parent. The legal age of majority in Georgia is 18.

Return to Top
#704755 - 03/21/07 11:56 PM Re: UTMA Accounts Skittles
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
We require checking accounts for individuals under the age of 18 to be a joint account also. Debit cards can be issued but the adult owner of the account must sign a statement of responsibility.

Return to Top
#704785 - 03/22/07 04:44 AM Re: UTMA Accounts CrashDavis
RayLynch Offline
Platinum Poster
RayLynch
As Skittles points out, it is a matter of state law as to whether a minor can maintain a bank account without an adult. For example, California permits a minor to have a bank account and all decisions made by the minor are final & can't be rescinded. On this issue you need to check your state law (as well as what is the age at which a minor becomes an adult - I would suspect it is 18).

On the UTMA issue, I would suggest you check your state law to see if a minor beneficiary can be the "transferor" (i.e., the person who is making the transfer to the minor). Somehow I doubt a minor has the legal ability to make the transfer in question - but again this would be a matter of state law.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett