Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#702840 - 03/19/07 02:50 PM CRA-School Activities
Rather be in Vegas Offline
100 Club
Florida
I'm fairly new to CRA and I'm trying to motivate my officers to participate in community activities in order to get CRA credit. Our bank currently does not have branches in a low to moderate income census and we have a very small consumer portfolio. Our bank is more driven to international banking. I would appreciate any tips in providing information on activities that we could get involved in. I was thinking of participating in the "Teach Children to Save" during the month of April and was wondering if any bankers have offered this type of service and what information they are willing to share. Thanks.

Return to Top
CRA
#702860 - 03/19/07 03:02 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Rather be in Vegas
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
This ABA program is a great way to involve staff in teaching financial education in local schools. Just make sure you partner with Title One schools, or at least the majority of schools you partner with are Title One, which just means that at least 51% of the students qualify for the free or reduced lunch program. The schools can tell you this info.

Return to Top
#702905 - 03/19/07 03:37 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Rather be in Vegas
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Originally Posted By: Rather be in Vegas
I'm fairly new to CRA and I'm trying to motivate my officers to participate in community activities in order to get CRA credit.

Good luck

Return to Top
#702947 - 03/19/07 04:39 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Pale Rider
100 Club
Florida
Thanks. I found a website that not only provided me with the public schools in my county, but also the percentage of the students that qualify for free or reduce lunch program. I went with those that had at least over 85% which was the majority of them.

Return to Top
#702992 - 03/19/07 05:27 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Rather be in Vegas
bubs63 Offline
Platinum Poster
bubs63
Highland Park IL
Rather be,

You might want to see if any of your officers are involved with any groups now that are CD qualified. If they are the bank could pay there memberships dues. or make time for them to participate on behalf of the bank. a nice donation to there group could also help.

"truth does not occur in the database" - Actual search result on a goverment website

Return to Top
#709900 - 04/02/07 04:15 PM Re: CRA-School Activities bubs63
100 Club
Florida
To my surprise, not one school has responded to my letter which was submitted to the principal of the each school. The kit that we purchased from ABA brought a nice letter that could be addressed to each school and not one has responded. I found another source through the County where I will be able to get involved in several projects with the schools through the county.

Return to Top
#709961 - 04/02/07 05:32 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Rather be in Vegas
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Keep in mind most of the mail is sorted by the secretaries. Mail with Bank letter head is either tossed as junk, or forwarded to the Finance or Buisness Directors, and they then junk it because they do not see how it applies to them.

I would recommend calling the principle's secretary first and ask them to watch for it, or call and schedule a 5-10 minute appointment with the Principle or Vice Principle for a quick briefing of your intent.

Return to Top
#709996 - 04/02/07 06:25 PM Re: CRA-School Activities #Just Jay
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Have you thought about Junior Achievement? We have our staff participate in their volunteer teacher program and many of the schools in the area participate (though we try to encourage staff to volunteer at the at risk schools).

Junior Achievement is an organization that has been around a long time, so people are pretty receptive to it.

We've also done the Teaching Kids to Save Program with some success.

Return to Top
#710060 - 04/02/07 07:43 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Sing A Little
100 Club
Florida
Thank you for the information.

Return to Top
#710575 - 04/03/07 05:20 PM Re: CRA-School Activities Rather be in Vegas
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I agree with bbsgrant. I called the principals and talked to them and they were very enthusiastic to have us there. However, sometimes they forget to let the teachers know that you are coming (sounds silly doesn't it). After learning the hard way, I asked for the teachers name and number and contacted them to ask if there was anything that they would like for me to cover, that might tie in with what they are teaching. Actually it was my way of making sure the teacher was aware we would be there and when.

Return to Top