Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#714059 - 04/10/07 04:28 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Creditcop
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: Creditcop
Sharpton and Jackson are just trying to take advantage of the situation in my opinion.

When do those two gentlemen not try to take advantage of any siutation?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#714079 - 04/10/07 04:53 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone ACBbank
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
the problem is even if everybody was the same color people would discriminate because of height or body shape. Humans are animals and that's the way it is. Anybody who says they never picked on somebody for being different is a liar. and anybody who says they treat everybody the same now is a liar too.

Return to Top
#714115 - 04/10/07 05:37 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone XODUS
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Why is it everytime I heard the tape of Imus apologizing he was always saying "we were wrong" "we were insensitive" Never "I was wrong". Who is this WE????

I think the best thing would be if all the people that find his comments insulting would just stop listening to him. I can in no way find humor in calling college girls, none of which he knows personally, hos of any kind, nappy-haired or not. I would find it just as insulting if he called an all (or mostly) white girls team "white trash hos". It is degrading and wrong.
Last edited by KCGeoQueen; 04/10/07 05:37 PM.

Return to Top
#714133 - 04/10/07 05:58 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone CRAatBOK
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: KCGeoQueen
Why is it everytime I heard the tape of Imus apologizing he was always saying "we were wrong" "we were insensitive" Never "I was wrong". Who is this WE????

I think the best thing would be if all the people that find his comments insulting would just stop listening to him. I can in no way find humor in calling college girls, none of which he knows personally, hos of any kind, nappy-haired or not. I would find it just as insulting if he called an all (or mostly) white girls team "white trash hos". It is degrading and wrong.

KC-
When Imus made his comments, his producer chimed in as well and made a comment as well. It isn't getting the play for some reason-it was discussed a bit earlier in the thread.

Return to Top
#714139 - 04/10/07 06:02 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone SBR2448
Seadevil Offline
Gold Star
Missouri
Originally Posted By: SBR2448
It wasn't the "ho" part that was racist!! Tell me the last time you hear a white person referred to as being "nappy-headed"!

About three years ago. A person was refering to my son who has very curly and bristlely (sp) hair. It was his H.S. football coach wondering how he got that nappy head into a football helmet. Neither my son or I took offense.

Just because I've heard it used towards a white person, I still do not condone how it was used against the female athletes. I also do not believe that it was used in malice, but as a joke. Still does not justify it not being a racist / offensive remark.

Return to Top
#714140 - 04/10/07 06:02 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone CRAatBOK
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
laying moderator's badge on the table...

As I understand it, Imus' producer made the comment first (heard by the listening audience) and then Imus made a "yea,.........." and reiterated (and possibly embellished) what the producer had said.

You don't hear anything about the retribution coming down on the producer's head.

I agree that it's wrong. I also agree with the poster who commented above regarding the unemployment rate if everyone who made 'bad/wrong/pick-your-adjective' comments was fired.

picks up badge and heads back to the shadows

Return to Top
#714224 - 04/10/07 07:44 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Fork Ate Spoon
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Fork eats Spoon
When something like this happened I always tend to think what if it was turned the other way around, if the reaction would be the same. What if an African American personality was to say something derogatory about some white person(s), like calling a group of white female players trailer park trash, would it be as public as this? Would they call for his/her resignation?? I'm not a racist by any means, but I'm just curious...

I was thinking the same thing, Fork. I don't know why but whenever I hear Sharpton's or Jackson's name in the news- I recall something from my childhood "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me." Maybe they didn't learn that rhyme when they were younger.

Return to Top
#714226 - 04/10/07 07:47 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone mck401
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Why are Al Sharpton and the supposed Reverend Jackson always part of the problem and never part of the solution?

Return to Top
#714275 - 04/10/07 08:25 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bimmer
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Why are Al Sharpton and the supposed Reverend Jackson always part of the problem and never part of the solution?

'Cause apparently there's good money to be made in demagoguery.

Return to Top
#714279 - 04/10/07 08:28 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Sinatra Fan
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Please, Steve, I'm begging you, don't leave a straight line like that around here,,,,,

Return to Top
#714304 - 04/10/07 08:48 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Hrothgar Geiger
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Calling a woman a ho is uncalled for under virtually all circumstances unless:

1) She is accompanied by a pimp
2) The word is preceded by "crack"

In point of fact, it just never should be said, really. I don't know why people feel justified in launching derogatory terms at people they don't know. But that's the state of today's radio for you.

Return to Top
#714337 - 04/10/07 09:34 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone RandomName
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
But, wouldn't you call Imus's comments more sexist that racist? I can understand if the complaints were regarding the comment being sexist, but it is being made a racial issue which I'm having a hard time following.

Return to Top
#714393 - 04/11/07 02:42 AM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone BotV#6
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i just can't believe people are defending imus so stridently. "leave [him] alone"?! is that a joke np? he called the girls "hos" not matter how you slice it; whores!

Return to Top
#714532 - 04/11/07 02:23 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Hated By Some
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
It doesn't matter how you categorize the comment. It was degrading, and it was offensive, and it should never have been said. Period. He made a hurtful remark to a group of people who (how can this be so hard to get) were hurt by it. They spoke up, and others spoke up in their support.

Let's bring this into perspective. Hurtful things have been said here in the cooler. People were hurt, spoke up, and others supported them... Makes you think, huh?

Imus' job depends on an audience. His employer has every right to discipline him in a way so as not to lose the audience. No audience = no show.

And to be honest, I can't see why everyone is in uproar over the fact that he's been called out. I would start to worry when people stopped being called out for these types of comments.

Return to Top
#714537 - 04/11/07 02:27 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bailey.
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
What Imus sad was in bad taste Ron...but to turn Don Imus into David Duke over this is ridiculous.

Return to Top
#714560 - 04/11/07 02:43 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
i just can't believe people are defending imus so stridently. "leave [him] alone"?! is that a joke np? he called the girls "hos" not matter how you slice it; whores!

Should he lose his livelihood over it?

Return to Top
#714575 - 04/11/07 02:58 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone straw
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: straw

YES!!! He said it while on the job. If his job includes not using slurs, and he slurs, goodbye job!

What if a teacher called a student a 'nappy headed ho'? It's part of the teacher's job not to use slurs, and doing so should get that teacher fired!

It really is that simple.

Return to Top
#714589 - 04/11/07 03:08 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bailey.
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bailey.

YES!!! He said it while on the job. If his job includes not using slurs, and he slurs, goodbye job!

What if a teacher called a student a 'nappy headed ho'? It's part of the teacher's job not to use slurs, and doing so should get that teacher fired!

It really is that simple.

What if the teacher was teaching the children about racism? Should the teacher be fired then?

Return to Top
#714613 - 04/11/07 03:19 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone straw
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster

What if the teacher was teaching the children about racism? Should the teacher be fired then?

Oh give me a break. I'm talking about following the rules. If you don't follow the rules at work, you get fired. Was that really not clear??

Return to Top
#714618 - 04/11/07 03:22 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bailey.
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bailey.

Oh give me a break. I'm talking about following the rules. If you don't follow the rules at work, you get fired. Was that really not clear??

Yes it was. Imus' job is too be a shock jock, to be funny, entertaining and provocative.

What he did was hurtful, insulting and dumb.

I for one think he should have been let go years ago for not being entertaining and for not having any ratings.

I just question whether we should scrap heap someone who made a mistake when trying to do what they are paid to do.

Return to Top
#714645 - 04/11/07 03:45 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone straw
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster

I just question whether we should scrap heap someone who made a mistake when trying to do what they are paid to do.

"We" don't have the authority to make that decision. It's up to his employer. If his network feels he crossed the line (and there are lines, even in shock broadcasting), they have every right to "scrap heap" him. Will their decision be based on public outcry? Probably. But that's because he's a public personality. Bottom line. If his show doesn't sell (or costs too much $ to defend), he'll be gone.

So long-winded point made short: I think it's perfectly viable for this guy to lose his job over these remarks.

Return to Top
#714651 - 04/11/07 03:52 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bailey.
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
His network didn't do anything until Sharpton and Jackson opened their mouths...

Return to Top
#714660 - 04/11/07 04:00 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Imagine
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
His network didn't do anything until Sharpton and Jackson opened their mouths...

More to my point! His very job depends on having a public. If the public doesn't complain, the network keeps the show. If the public hates him, there's no show to be had! Disciplining him was a PR move... a NECESSARY rating-saving PR move.

Return to Top
#714712 - 04/11/07 04:53 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone Bailey.
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
I prefer to think that the sentiments of Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, and their minions, aren't representative of the entire population.

Return to Top
#714749 - 04/11/07 05:31 PM Re: Leave Don Imus Alone grmasterb
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Wouldn't that depend on the actual number of minions?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6