Thread Options
#714783 - 04/11/07 06:05 PM A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Yesterday.

OK, so it took them a while.

The OFAC geeks among you are probably curious about how Halliburton has been able to do business in Iran for as long as they have. They created a wholly-owned subsidiary incorporated in the Caymans and headquartered in Dubai solely for the purpose of evading OFAC sanction programs.

I see that hand waving in the back of the room, what's that you say? That defense doesn't hold water? Well, you're right, of course. Chiquita Banana can tell you from recent, painful experience that the 'foreign subsidiary' ploy doesn't work.

In fact, in July 2004, the Treasury Department referred the issue to the Justice Department, and a grand jury subpoenaed the relevant documents. Nearly three years later, the case is still open. Perhaps Justice is overly busy, or short-staffed. Maybe it's because the current Vice President was CEO when the subsidiary was formed (and defended its use in an interview with Sam Donaldson.) Who knows for sure?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#714794 - 04/11/07 06:14 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Hrothgar Geiger
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Cheney, Cheney, Cheney...
It always comes back to Cheney...

Return to Top
#714840 - 04/11/07 06:47 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Imagine
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Just like indigestion...

Return to Top
#714883 - 04/11/07 07:14 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Retired DQ
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
The guy's a crook!!

Return to Top
#714899 - 04/11/07 07:31 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran steven1950
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: steven1950
The guy's a crook!!

Cheney: "I have severed all ties with Halliburton. I no longer have any financial interest in Halliburton."

Well, except for $18,000,000 in stock options.
and, oops, except for $150,000 per year in deferred compensation from Halliburton.

Return to Top
#714917 - 04/11/07 07:49 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Hrothgar Geiger
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So that deferred comp that represents 0.5% of his net worth, along with stock options that he has pledged to charity, are causing evil incarnate to lean on the Justice Department? Funny that they didn't cause the evil one to stop the Defense Dept. IG from reporting on every bit of billing error they've found on Halliburton.

Return to Top
#714930 - 04/11/07 07:55 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: -J-
So that deferred comp that represents 0.5% of his net worth, along with stock options that he has pledged to charity, are causing evil incarnate to lean on the Justice Department? Funny that they didn't cause the evil one to stop the Defense Dept. IG from reporting on every bit of billing error they've found on Halliburton.

Thanks J, for lending the fair and balanced perspective usually missing from the BOL CNN reporters

Return to Top
#714933 - 04/11/07 07:57 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Defending a potentially corrupt Vice President isn't fair and balanced...

It is blind and dangerous faith in a man who has shown dubious intentions since he's been in office.

Return to Top
#714948 - 04/11/07 08:06 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico

It is blind and dangerous faith in a man who has shown dubious intentions since he's been in office.

I did not see the Haliburton story above, nor the comments of the other BOLers in here, detail what J pointed out. Hmmm, now about being fair and balanced....

Return to Top
#714953 - 04/11/07 08:11 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran TheManofSteel
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
unless of coarse, they had a waiver

Return to Top
#714954 - 04/11/07 08:13 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Fella...no one here in this forum is "fair" and I can't speak for others here, but I know I'm not "balanced" (I blame the meds)...

The rabid Republicans will never present a story favorable to Dems, and the diehard Democrats will never present a story favorable to the GOP.

BUT...if we can help shatter the image of certain people for the benefit of the country (such as your post about Feinstein a week or so back and Barbarian's current post about Cheney), then what harm is there of posting these kind of stories?

Return to Top
#714966 - 04/11/07 08:19 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Fella...no one here in this forum is "fair" and I can't speak for others here, but I know I'm not "balanced" (I blame the meds)...

The rabid Republicans will never present a story favorable to Dems, and the diehard Democrats will never present a story favorable to the GOP.

BUT...if we can help shatter the image of certain people for the benefit of the country (such as your post about Feinstein a week or so back and Barbarian's current post about Cheney), then what harm is there of posting these kind of stories?

Of course there is no harm, Neo, but there is also no harm in -J-putting his two cents in two supply the information that is missing to balance it out. I certainly did not know that until -J- posted it, and thus felt inclined to opine as I did.

Return to Top
#714999 - 04/11/07 08:46 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: AMLFella

Thanks J, for lending the fair and balanced perspective usually missing from the BOL CNN reporters

Hey I thought it was MSNBC

Return to Top
#715024 - 04/11/07 09:19 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

I didn't defend him. I pointed out some facts that make the conspiracy theory a little less compelling, in my opinion.

I think what's blind and dangerous is to assume that a person who gives up a job where he could have accumulated tens of millions more in personal wealth, to work for his country instead, has anything but the best intentions.

I think that Bill Clinton had noble intentions; I think his wife does, too; I think the same thing about Mr. Obama and Mr. Edwards. I think they're wrong on a lot of issues, but I don't need to make them the very personification of evil just because I disagree with them. I wish that all politicians could get that same benefit of the doubt from everyone here.

Return to Top
#715026 - 04/11/07 09:23 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

I didn't defend him. I pointed out some facts that make the conspiracy theory a little less compelling, in my opinion.

I think what's blind and dangerous is to assume that a person who gives up a job where he could have accumulated tens of millions more in personal wealth, to work for his country instead, has anything but the best intentions.

I think that Bill Clinton had noble intentions; I think his wife does, too; I think the same thing about Mr. Obama and Mr. Edwards. I think they're wrong on a lot of issues, but I don't need to make them the very personification of evil just because I disagree with them. I wish that all politicians could get that same benefit of the doubt from everyone here.

Well-said , J.

Return to Top
#715043 - 04/11/07 09:37 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

See J; as I said yesterday conspiracies abound.

Return to Top
#715087 - 04/12/07 12:24 AM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Apparently in the BOLCBT glossary; "no" means "well, not very much, and certainly not more than, say, $20million."

Here's another perspective on the the deferred compensation;
The US pays Mr. Cheney $212,000 per year to co-pilot the ship of state. Halliburton pays Mr. Cheney $150,000 per for, well, whatever it is that they pay him for...

I also liked 'billing errors'. Here's what the various entities that have audited Halliburton's stewardship meant by 'billing errors':
DCAA
"significant deficiencies"
"systemic deficiencies in the way Halliburton estimates and validates costs"
"Halliburton repeatedly violated the Federal Acquisition Regulation and submitted a $2.7 billion proposal that did not contain current, accurate, and complete data regarding subcontract costs."
"system deficiencies resulting in material invoicing misstatements that are not prevented, detected and/ or corrected"
"Halliburton does not monitor the ongoing physical progress of subcontracts or the related costs and billings."
"identified significant unsupported costs"

CPA IG
"did not effectively manage government property"
"property valued at more than $18.6 million was not accurately accounted for or was missing."

GAO
"found ineffective planning, inadequate cost control, and insufficient training of contract management officials under the troop logistics contract"

And as -J- rightly points out, except for KBR requesting that the Pentagon not publish its audit, no one prevented these groups from publishing their finding.

It is somewhat curious to note that not a single thing was *done* as a result of the audit findings. No payments withheld, no overpayments recovered, no contracts rescinded, no bids for future work refused, no fines, no additional hearings, nothing. Life, and more importantly, massive billing carried on uninterrupted.

The administration that claimed it could not afford body armor or vehicle armor for troops in theater had no problem paying Halliburton hundreds of millions of dollars for goods and services it could not account for.

Just one of those curious puzzles that needs explaining.

Return to Top
#715093 - 04/12/07 12:48 AM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Hrothgar Geiger
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
Originally Posted By: steven1950
The guy's a crook!!

Cheney: "I have severed all ties with Halliburton. I no longer have any financial interest in Halliburton."

Well, except for $18,000,000 in stock options.
and, oops, except for $150,000 per year in deferred compensation from Halliburton.

Quote:
that deferred comp that represents 0.5% of his net worth, along with stock options that he has pledged to charity

The initial statement was that he no longer had "any" interest.

Comparing compensation to net worth is quite an apples-to-oranges comparison. One is income, the other is a total of assets.

And even if Cheney has actually pledged the stock options to charity an $18 million tax deduction is very valuable and could get to be worth much more with Haliburton doing so well the last few years.

Return to Top
#715222 - 04/12/07 01:25 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: straw
See J; as I said yesterday conspiracies abound.

Yes, conspiracies about in the fever swamps of the left, even on a banking website. My objection was to your characterization of ME as a conpiratorialist.

Good grief. We're going to get our panties in a wad because instead of "no material interest" he said "no interest". Whatever.

And the VP has not only pledged to give any gains from his options to charity, but also to not take a tax deduction on that gift. But, as an aside, to say that the tax deduction could be worth more than the options is about as illogical as anything I've ever read - and having read Ted's posts about NK, that's really saying something. I guess it could make sense, if you assumed that the future tax bracket was in excess of 100%.

Return to Top
#715232 - 04/12/07 01:36 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Good grief

charlie brown wuz hear

Return to Top
#715279 - 04/12/07 02:12 PM Re: A True Patriot: Halliburton pulls out of Iran Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I can't stand it!

Return to Top