Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#7155 - 11/28/01 05:59 AM Patriot Act
Kahola Offline
Platinum Poster
Kahola
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the Patriot Act?

Pat Field
First Arizona Savings

Return to Top
General Discussion
#7156 - 11/27/01 06:07 PM Re: Patriot Act
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Search on HR 3162, Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism at http://thomas.loc.gov/ .

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#7157 - 11/27/01 07:12 PM Re: Patriot Act
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
FYI, the new KYC provisions are in Sec. 326. Also, Sec 352 lays out requirements for formal anti-money laundering programs in banks (i.e. an "AML Officer"). And take a look at Sec 365 while you're at it. Whoa! It requires any US "trade or business" to do currency transaction reporting! (Should make all you BSA experts a very valuable commodity to the outside world!) I'm still digging to find when the reg changes must be effective. I understand the banking trade organizations are already providing input on the first swing at the draft regs.

[This message has been edited by Ken Holmes (edited 11-27-2001).]

Return to Top
#7158 - 11/27/01 08:15 PM Re: Patriot Act
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Ken, you've been spending some proactive time on this, I see. Under 326 there will be regulations effective within a year. And yes, I know the ABA is working on this now starting with 326.

"(6) EFFECTIVE DATE.—Final regulations prescribed under this subsection shall take effect before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date of enactment of the International Money Laundering Abatement and Financial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2001.’".

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#7159 - 11/27/01 09:11 PM Re: Patriot Act
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If the Treasury is as fast getting these regs out as they have been in getting out other required regs, I will not hold my breath waiting!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#7160 - 11/27/01 10:14 PM Re: Patriot Act
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
In the November issue of "Money Laundering Alert" there is a great table listing the various sections of the Patriot Act that will require changes to BSA and what those changes are.

Return to Top
#7161 - 11/28/01 03:41 PM Re: Patriot Act
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Treasury has already published interim guidelines for the foreign shell bank and correspondent certifications in Sections 313 and 319 of the Act. They were published 11/20/2001. Here is the link to the press release:

http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/po813.htm

Return to Top
#7162 - 11/28/01 04:27 PM Re: Patriot Act
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Congress specified widely varying deadlines for the regulatory requirements of the USA PATRIOT act: 60 days for sections 313 and 319; 120 days for section 314; 180 days for sections 312 and 352; one year for section 326; and an unspecified time for section 325. Staying on top of all this will be a challenge.

------------------
This is a personal observation that should not be taken as legal advice nor relied upon for any purpose.

Return to Top
#7163 - 11/28/01 08:43 PM Re: Patriot Act
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
This from the ABA:

The Federal Reserve sent examiners and the institutions it supervises a letter briefly describing the money laundering provisions in the new anti-terrorism law. "All banking organizations...should ensure that their compliance staffs carefully review the act and prepare to implement its provisions within appropriate time frames," the letter said. While the law does not immediately impose any new filing or reporting obligations, it does require certain additional due diligence and record keeping practices. The letter describes provisions that take effect without new regulations, and other provisions that will require further rulemaking. To read the Fed's SR 01-29, go to http://www.federalreserve.gov/BoardDocs/SRLetters/2001/sr0129.htm

------------------
Jim Bedsole, CRCM, CBA, CFSA

Opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Return to Top