Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#718930 - 04/19/07 07:18 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
At that point, seems like it would become a public record . . . of course, no two systems talk to each other, but that's another can of worms.

no! that IS this can of worms (as i mentioned the concept in my last reply to you). that why i said what i said earlier; you don't seem to grasp that these issues are intertwined!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#718943 - 04/19/07 07:26 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Hated By Some
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:
OK, I'll bite. Without mentioning weapons, what else would you address?

wow. that's a lot like telling me to build a house but that i cannot use wood or a hammer. (also, is this "password" )

better background checks. better medical services. a reallocation of resources from the "war on drugs". more police. better communication between medical services and law enforcement.
to name a few

Oo, oo, I know, I steel framed house - seems like that could be welded together and not use wood or nails. Oh wait, wrong subject.

Now, see, there's a bunch of stuff in your post we can agree on.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#718950 - 04/19/07 07:30 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i'm not an animal!

(but you do see why i made the wood and hammer analogy right?)

Return to Top
#718954 - 04/19/07 07:32 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
Maxx Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I'll be happy to subject myself to a stricter background check. I have no problem with that.
I don't agree with a complete ban on guns though.

Return to Top
#718957 - 04/19/07 07:34 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Maxx
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Aries
I'll be happy to subject myself to a stricter background check. I have no problem with that.

Ditto Aries. I pointed out either earlier in this thread, or in another, that I support background check, mandatory periodic testing and psych evals, and the use of automatic weapons only for the military and paramilitary.

But hunting rifles and specific handguns are not necessarily military and paramilitary.

Return to Top
#718958 - 04/19/07 07:34 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Hated By Some
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
i'm not an animal!

was that a John Merrick reference?

Return to Top
#718959 - 04/19/07 07:34 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Hated By Some
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
i'm not an animal!

(but you do see why i made the wood and hammer analogy right?)

Ditto Ron.

I understand, but your need to speak so loudly about gun control overshawdows everything else you might try to get across. It's like I've asked you what architechtual style of house you are building and you keep telling me "wood"

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#718962 - 04/19/07 07:35 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Maxx
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

and i don't either. but i just want to make sure the basis of my PoV as been adequately drilled home and acknowledged.

(ok, i SERIOUSLY have got to get back to work! this has been a ton of fun and i will check in later)

Return to Top
#718964 - 04/19/07 07:36 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
ok dark, extra credit if you guess who said that quote. and i'm looking for his proper name.

Return to Top
#718967 - 04/19/07 07:37 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Hated By Some
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
nevermind dark, bailey got it! ok NOW i'm getting back to work.

Return to Top
#718970 - 04/19/07 07:40 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Would you all support HR 1022, The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007?

To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes

Return to Top
#718977 - 04/19/07 07:53 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Would you all support HR 1022, The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007?

I browsed throug it. Admittedly, I would not be able to recognize any hidden or subtle language that would result in a blanket ban on all guns, but if it is in fact strictly banning guns made for the purposes of paramilitary and military from civilians, I can deal with that. It should not extend to hunting rifles and/or handguns that could be used for self-defense (the specialized assault handguns not included).

Return to Top
#718990 - 04/19/07 08:07 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Darkhorse
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
don't we do this now? Government regs screw everything up, shoot my 17 daughter can't have an aspirin without my written permission at school, but I can't know if she seeks an abortion.

But I digress, I guess rules can be added to check for mental health conditions, but where do you go to get those records without violating someone's rights to medical privacy?

Wasn't there a judge that ordered this guy to a mental health facility (of course, he only stayed a day)? At that point, seems like it would become a public record . . . of course, no two systems talk to each other, but that's another can of worms.

Darkhorse, as I understand it, the judge made it voluntary that he go to a mental health facility, which is why it did not show up on a background check. If the judge had made it mandatory, it would have shown up.

Return to Top
#718994 - 04/19/07 08:11 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Imagine
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico

Absolutely not!

That would make several of my guns illegal!

Return to Top
#718995 - 04/19/07 08:12 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Bimmer
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Bimmer...so you bought the guns between now and 2004?

Return to Top
#719001 - 04/19/07 08:17 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Imagine
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Not all of them. I bought a few of them in 2000 and 2001

Return to Top
#719009 - 04/19/07 08:20 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Bimmer
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I'm just wondering, because this law expired in September of 2004.
This current bill is supposed to be a reauthorization of the law from 1994 - 2004.
Apparently, it has added to the list?

Return to Top
#719016 - 04/19/07 08:27 PM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Imagine
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
It's a possibility. I don't remember all the guns on the old ban. NJ state law made it more difficult to buy certain guns then the federal ban did.

Return to Top
#719105 - 04/20/07 12:14 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Bimmer
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
what do you possibly need military weapons for? you are paranoid.

cruise
missile

or are you bringing one to the table, mr. red dawn?

technically, the "blackrocks" of the world can train and possess. they are the american dream. they are the a-team for the good guys. capitalism is the modern army. how many people would join? i think it makes a lot of sense.

Return to Top
#719117 - 04/20/07 02:19 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Hated By Some
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Ron, try to wrap your thick head around this.

I am not paranoid.

I own my guns because I like them, I can afford them, and I am legally within my rights to own them and I enjoy going to the range and shooting them.

Squeezing off 150+ rounds at the range is the best stress reliever I have ever come across.

Perhaps you should try it sometime. Then maybe you wouldn't be such a tight ass!

Return to Top
#719118 - 04/20/07 02:22 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Bimmer
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Originally Posted By: Darkhorse
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
don't we do this now? Government regs screw everything up, shoot my 17 daughter can't have an aspirin without my written permission at school, but I can't know if she seeks an abortion.

But I digress, I guess rules can be added to check for mental health conditions, but where do you go to get those records without violating someone's rights to medical privacy?

Wasn't there a judge that ordered this guy to a mental health facility (of course, he only stayed a day)? At that point, seems like it would become a public record . . . of course, no two systems talk to each other, but that's another can of worms.

Darkhorse, as I understand it, the judge made it voluntary that he go to a mental health facility, which is why it did not show up on a background check. If the judge had made it mandatory, it would have shown up.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you.

And Neo, I can't support the proposal either, for the same reasons as Bimmer.

Bimmer, my hubby is already at the track and called right after the qualifing today. I fly out tomorrow - WOOHOO! Interested in November tix? We are season ticket holders now, but I like the old seats and hubby likes the new ones better . . . so we always have 4 seats for November - plus (finally) a reserved RV spot in BFE Took us 5 hours last November just to get in to find an unreserved spot - a week before the race.

OT, but if you want to see passionate fans, talk to the folks that tailgate in terms of days instead of hours

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#719119 - 04/20/07 02:23 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Bimmer
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
LOL @ Bimmer

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#719122 - 04/20/07 02:32 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? Darkhorse
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Interesting, even some students at VT feel that if the gun ban was not so stringent, other law abiders could have packed and prevented the tragedy. Adds a different angle I did not think would emerge:

Tennessee Considers Expanding Gun Rights
By Nathan Burchfiel
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
April 19, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - The Tennessee Legislature is considering a proposal that would expand the right to carry weapons on most public property. At least one lawmaker believes the move is a direct result of the Virginia Tech tragedy.

A House panel on Wednesday approved a measure that would repeal restrictions on licensed gun owners carrying their firearms on public property such as parks. The proposal will be considered by the full House Judiciary Committee April 25.

While it does not lift prohibitions on carrying weapons on school property, the bill's sponsor did mention Monday's shooting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster -- or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it -- has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," Rep. Frank Nicely told the Tennessee News Daily. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."

Virginia Tech student Cho Seung-hui killed 32 students and faculty members before shooting himself in what became the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

The violence sparked criticism of Virginia's stance on gun ownership. There are few restrictions on gun ownership in the commonwealth, although purchasers must go through background checks and prove their eligibility to own a gun before buying one.

But while gun control advocates criticized Virginia's gun laws, others, including a student at Virginia Tech, argued that increased gun ownership by law-abiding citizens might have helped narrow the tragedy's reach.
While the commonwealth allows permit holders to carry concealed weapons in most places, the school bans guns from its property.

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, graduate student Bradford Wiles is among those who believe Virginia Tech's campus gun ban made it easier for Cho to carry out his attacks.

Return to Top
#719123 - 04/20/07 02:52 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? TheManofSteel
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Interesting article Fella. Thank you for having the courage to post it. I'm sure it isn't a popular opinion, but it is the first thing that came to my mind.

Nevermind, again those big city folks can't image life any other way but their own
Last edited by Darkhorse; 04/20/07 04:04 AM.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#719126 - 04/20/07 03:03 AM Re: The Gun Lobby Convinces Who of What? TheManofSteel
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
So, out of over 21,000 students at Virginia Tech, this "news service" found a student with that opinion. Very impressive.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7