Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#718384 - 04/19/07 12:24 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Retired DQ
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
::bowing:: Thank you! Thank you very much!
I can't take all the credit, though - it started when bbs said I "piqued" his interest.

Return to Top
#718394 - 04/19/07 12:46 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Bailey.
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Last year I lost somewhere between 30 & 35 pounds through the first half of the year, then I hurt my back pretending I was 15 instead of thirty and lost my motivation, gaining back all the weight in the meantime. I am back at it again this year, and have lost 15 so far. My suggestions:

1. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
2. Stay away from any pre-prepared stuff. Try to make everything from basic ingredients. The more basic you start with the better. If you do need a quick meal, go for a weight watchers or lean cuisine microwave meal.
3. Water! of course. If I can't down it for some reason, I put in lime or lemon juice to make it better.
4. Try to get out and move at least 30 minutes every day. You can do the same thing if you don't get tired of it. I change it up-weights every other, then walking, jogging, swimming or biking.
5. Don't worry if you fall down. I have a weakness for double cheeseburgers and fries from McDs. One meal or one day isn't going to ruin it. Just get back on the wagon tomorrow, or the next day, or whatever.

Return to Top
#719840 - 04/20/07 08:57 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Retired DQ
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I would recommend the Body for Life plan. Combination of eating smart and exercise. http://www.bodyforlife.com

My wife has lost over 120 pounds and I have lost 55. What I like about the plan is that you only follow it for 6 days in a row then it is FREE DAY. You can eat anything and as much as you want and no exercise that day.
Last edited by Creditcop; 04/20/07 09:05 PM.
Return to Top
#719892 - 04/21/07 12:39 AM Re: Weight Loss Help? Bailey.
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
I find and have heard that having a hot liquid before a meal makes the stomach feel full. I've tried this and find that if I have a cup of soup before dinner, I can't eat a full meal. So when we go for Chinese I have soup and 1 egg roll and I'm totally full, also we go to a great Italian restaurant and I have a cup of minestrone (sp) with the house salad and I can barely finish the salad. At lunch if I have soup I can't eat anything else. Apparently the warm liquid tricks your stomach. And remember that it takes about 20 minute for your stomach to tell your brain that it is full.

Return to Top
#721026 - 04/24/07 06:32 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? tahdah
WesMantooth Offline
Gold Star
WesMantooth
San Diego
I have lost 20 lbs since Dec. I eat 6 times a day. I lift weights Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I try to walk with my wife 30 minutes every night except Sunday. I also try to do some intervals on an exercise bike a couple of times a week first thing in the morning. Do your cardio before you eat breakfast. You burn more fat on an empty stomach after sleeping. Lots of water. I try to eat lots of protein and only carbs from good sources (Fruit, not donuts)! A usual day of eating will go something like this:

7:30-8: SlimFast Carb-Concious shake
10: 4 boiled eggs (only one yoke), oatmeal
12: Either tuna (pouch or can), grilled chicken wrap, or a Lean Cuisine; some kind of veggies like carrots or green beans; and maybe an apple or some grapes
3: String cheese, handful of walnuts
6: Some kind of lean meat, veggies
9: Not necessary but I usually eat some cottage cheese or yogurt for the protein before bed

Does this sound like something that is a good plan to those of you that have had success? My biggest challenge is not eating bad at dinner (Burrito and cheese dip, anyone?).

Return to Top
#721057 - 04/24/07 06:43 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? WesMantooth
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Hey y'all.
I don't have time to eat all those times a day.
I'm just watching my calorie consumption and I started walking for 30 minutes a day the last 2 days.

I'm also avoiding soda.
Drinking water and green tea.

Return to Top
#721141 - 04/24/07 07:35 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
RobinS Offline
100 Club
NorthWest
Creditcop- Congratulations to you and your wife. She lost a whole other body!!!

Return to Top
#721426 - 04/25/07 01:31 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? RobinS
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
Has anyone used the Herbal life products??? Opinions?

Return to Top
#721525 - 04/25/07 02:58 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? TXBSA
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Over the past four years, I've lost 50 pounds and kept it off. I still have 25 more to go until I'm back to a svelt high school weight, and what I did was really quite simple and didn't involve a "diet" of any sort.

1. Park as far away from the door to (insert where you are going) as you can instead of looking for the closest spot.

2. Get a zoo membership. Go to the zoo as often as possible and walk around and look at everything.

3. Learn to like water, unsweetened teas, and water. Drink them instead of that Coke, Sweet Tea, etc. Throw in some coffee and iced coffee, but watch how much caffiene you drink. Iced green tea with Mango is really good, and requires no sugar.

4. Snack on broccoli, blueberries, and other fruits and veggies.

5. EAT BREAKFAST!!!!!! Many people trying to lose weight eat less often. This can actually cause weight GAIN. Instead, eat your biggest meal in the morning at breakfast, and your smallest at dinner. Snack on healthy small things in between meals. By eating the same amount of food in more meals, you will see your metabolism run more efficiently.

6. Find a friend with children. Take them to the park and walk with them, or ride a bike with them, or play some basketball with them. The more you are active, the more you will lose, and let's face it, kids are more active than any adult. Besides, their parents will love you for giving them a break once in a while. (Assuming they trust you with their child!)

Return to Top
#721530 - 04/25/07 03:00 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? B_F
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Once other thing....

Do you have a scale?

Put it away, throw it away, whatever. Just don't use it for the next three months. FEEL better, don't worry about numbers.

Return to Top
#721570 - 04/25/07 03:19 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? B_F
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Neo - do you have a gym membership?

I found it useful to work with a trainer for a few months in the weight room. I learned that I needed to increase my protein and reduce (not eliminate) my carb intake.

There's also a great book my dad gave me called 'Getting Stronger' by Bill Pearl. Lots of different training exercises, from the basics to specific combinations for certain sports. And I agree with what he says about focussing on the workout first - the diet will follow as you start to feel healthier. I tried what the gym trainer suggested about counting calories and keeping track of meals, and it just made me paranoid.

Return to Top
#721587 - 04/25/07 03:26 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Becka Marr
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Becka...nah...no gym membership.
Can't afford it, nor do I think gyms are for me.

And I need to lose the fat first before I tone up, I think.

I am walking more and eating less, and even after 3 days, I feel better.

I also feel like I'm getting more sleep at night, but waking up earlier and not feeling like I wanna roll over and stay in bed.

Return to Top
#721613 - 04/25/07 03:48 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Weight loss and muscle/body toning go hand in hand.

Return to Top
#721669 - 04/25/07 04:16 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? #Just Jay
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Except muscle weighs MORE than fst bbs...
If I need to lose weight, how/why should I gain more by turning it all into muscle.

Return to Top
#721682 - 04/25/07 04:21 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Strength training helps you to build muscle or tone which increases your metabolism. Increased metabolism will allow you to burn more fat.

Return to Top
#721684 - 04/25/07 04:22 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
WesMantooth Offline
Gold Star
WesMantooth
San Diego
You don't turn fat into muscle. You should add muscle because it speeds up your metabolism and burns more fat. Trust me, you should not put off the weight training. It will make your overall goals much easier and faster to attain.

Return to Top
#721690 - 04/25/07 04:24 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Neo-muscle may weigh more than fat but also burns more calories, and if you keep up enough protein to feed the muscles, it is the calories in the fat that will be used up first.

Return to Top
#721696 - 04/25/07 04:27 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? RR Sarah
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Hmmm...this is true.
But cardio works just as well, right?

Return to Top
#721703 - 04/25/07 04:30 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Cardio is good for you, yes. But, IMO, I would consider cardio as just one part of the entire program. You know, add some ankle weights when you walk or carry some hand weights. Kills two birds with one stone.

Return to Top
#721707 - 04/25/07 04:34 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? RR Sarah
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
sure sure

Return to Top
#721724 - 04/25/07 04:50 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I was busy with something else so could not respond...thanks for backing me up folks!

Point is, you simply cannot look at losing weight, without sthrengthing your body....you found that out using Atkins that you cannot just rely on one component to lose and keep it off.

Walking is a great start, but it does little to strengthen your body.

Return to Top
#721733 - 04/25/07 04:55 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? #Just Jay
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I had a friend who was a body builder. He said that weight training helps burn fat much better than cardio. Cardio is good (obviously), but for weight loss do more weight training. For women, it also helps to prevent osteoperosis.

Return to Top
#721753 - 04/25/07 05:10 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Skittles
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Neo, I support the comments from bbsgrant and others: weight training will do more to help you lose weight, and is more effective than cardio for burning fat. Just make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet to build the muscles - Apex protein powders (drink mix) are effective, although not particularly tasty.
Last edited by Becka Marr; 04/25/07 05:14 PM.

Return to Top
#721766 - 04/25/07 05:33 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? Becka Marr
WesMantooth Offline
Gold Star
WesMantooth
San Diego
You can find lots of different types of whey protein. Eating a small amount of cottage cheese a couple of hours before sleep will give your muscles casein protein while you sleep. Try to get a gram of protein for every pound you weigh. So, for me, about 230 grams of protein a day, and about 270 (if I remember correctly) for you Neo.

Return to Top
#721788 - 04/25/07 05:54 PM Re: Weight Loss Help? WesMantooth
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Wes,

I don't think he'll be lifting heavy enough to need the '1 gram per pound'. Or the cottage cheese.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett