Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Thread Options
#721344 - 04/25/07 02:06 AM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
What about NARAL fighting the partial birth abortion ban?

great question but that is supremely apples and oranges. i don't find any real need (neither did the court)for partial birth abortions since there are alternatives. what is the need for the brady bill guns that people want to protect? is there even a need for the alternatives?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#721347 - 04/25/07 02:12 AM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
so now we have judges who decide what is constitutional based on current circumstances

umm, that's called applying law to the facts. why could the court not find that there is no longer a risk to the security of the free state to necessitate such militias? these militias are playing chicken little. i guess that is their right.

Return to Top
#721362 - 04/25/07 04:53 AM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
why could the court not find that there is no longer a risk to the security of the free state to necessitate such militias?

Because the constitution does not give the court that option. If you are so insistent (and I commend you for it - honestly) that we look at the full text of the amendment, you should pay careful attention to the structure and grammar of that text:

"A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State . . ."

It does not say "If a well-regulated militia is necessary. . ." or "As long as a well-regulated militia is necessary . . ." or "To the extent that a well-regulated militia is necessary . . ."

It says that a well-regulated militia IS necessary. It takes a constitutional amendment to determine that a well-regulated militia is not necessary. The court simply cannot (without being disingenuous) determine that it is not so.

Ron, congratulations. It takes a special kind of guy to make me start sounding like an NRA apologist (which I adamantly am not!).
Last edited by rainman; 04/25/07 04:54 AM.

Return to Top
#721401 - 04/25/07 01:04 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
dad, i know. but reality tells me that a militia is no longer necessary. it's like one of those "wacky" laws like 'you can't carry a duck in your car on sundays'. sure, at the time it was probably great (and the legislative history would support that) but that is no longer the case.

i know i know "amend it". what i want to do is start making legislation to challenge it (with certain types of guns) and to make it more rigorous to own guns. why can't we make laws with incredibly punitive laws for possession without a license?

Return to Top
#721793 - 04/25/07 05:59 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:
so now we have judges who decide what is constitutional based on current circumstances

umm, that's called applying law to the facts. why could the court not find that there is no longer a risk to the security of the free state to necessitate such militias? these militias are playing chicken little. i guess that is their right.

Because unlike the right to privacy, a well protected milita being necessary is actually written in the Constitution.

I know that is an annoyance to you, but it is actually an important fact that you should take note of.

Return to Top
#721809 - 04/25/07 06:06 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre *DELETED* straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Post deleted by Ron Mexico

Return to Top
#721812 - 04/25/07 06:07 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Hated By Some
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
deleted

Ouch!!
Last edited by Truffle Royale; 04/25/07 06:24 PM.
Return to Top
#721815 - 04/25/07 06:08 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Snowqueen
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Wow. Nice talking to you too Ron.

Return to Top
#721818 - 04/25/07 06:10 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
how long are you going to needle me, straw?

Return to Top
#721848 - 04/25/07 06:24 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
How long are you going to label me as a xenophobic vigilante.

I have not commented on the policy connotations to these militias. Whether they are a good idea or not, whether they are good policy or not, is irrelevant to how they bear on a Constitutional issue.

You are either unwilling, or incapable, to accept that, which makes a Con Law debate with you extremely difficult.

Return to Top
#721856 - 04/25/07 06:27 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre straw
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
As my fellow mod, DQ, would say, please play nice children.

Return to Top
#721862 - 04/25/07 06:28 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
straw, i get the con law debate. i brought the con law up in the first place because i want people to understand the basis of the right that they claim. my real intention is changing policy and perception.

please accept my public apology for being a jerk. i'm in a bad mood and it was not fair to take it out on you. i wasn't thinking clearly. and i especially don't want to offend people who i really like and respect.

Return to Top
#721866 - 04/25/07 06:29 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Truffle Royale
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
As my fellow mod, DQ, would say, please play nice children.

i know. i already PM'd snowqueen to help me clean up the mess that i started. my apologies to everyone.

Return to Top
#721870 - 04/25/07 06:31 PM Re: Media Coverage of the V Tech Massacre Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Everyone relax. Ron pm'ed me very shortly after his message. Just blew off some steam.

No one is upset or angry.

Return to Top
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12