Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#725642 - 05/02/07 06:00 PM Vacation in Orlando
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Heading down to Orlando for 4 days and 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Though i regularly go to Florida for work, I have never been to Orlando.

If any of you have been there, please tell me all of the dos and do nots.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#725657 - 05/02/07 06:22 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando TheManofSteel
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Don't go to Disney, major waste of $$ and way too loud. You can go to 6-Flags Great Adventure for $50 and have as much fun.

Return to Top
#725669 - 05/02/07 06:30 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Retired DQ
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I love Disney and Epcot. Pricey, and for the kiddies primarily. If you're going with just adults, I agree with DQ, not worth it. Maybe MGM is worth it for just adults.

Who is going? Care to share more information as that might help narrow some activities down for the audience.

Return to Top
#725675 - 05/02/07 06:36 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Retired DQ
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
Don't go to Disney, major waste of $$ and way too loud. You can go to 6-Flags Great Adventure for $50 and have as much fun.

Nothing is as much fun as Disney.
Going 6 nights, 7 days in August...

Return to Top
#725678 - 05/02/07 06:38 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Been multiple times with the kids over the past 15 years. Whether you go disney or universal, you must get the passes that allow you to move to the head of the line. Go to a used book store and get the guides on each park. They will be helpful since you have not been before.

Return to Top
#725682 - 05/02/07 06:40 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando MB Guy
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I love Disney and Epcot. Pricey, and for the kiddies primarily. If you're going with just adults, I agree with DQ, not worth it. Maybe MGM is worth it for just adults.

Who is going? Care to share more information as that might help narrow some activities down for the audience.

Won't have kids with me, just the GF, although I can be a kid sometimes.

Return to Top
#725685 - 05/02/07 06:41 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Has your GF ever been to Disney?

Return to Top
#725686 - 05/02/07 06:41 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Pale Rider
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
If you go to Disney, get the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It gives touring plans (with or without kids) that route you to attractions in the optimum order to avoid the biggest crowds.

Return to Top
#725696 - 05/02/07 06:48 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Has your GF ever been to Disney?

Neither she nor I have. I respect that I am being warned about Disney being for kids. But I wonder if it is a little like coming to New York at Xmas and not visiting the Tree at Rockefeller Center.

Either way, if enough people chime in not too, I'll take the advise.

MGM sounds like fun. I hear there is a cool Alligator park there too, I love animals so...

Return to Top
#725697 - 05/02/07 06:49 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando The Incredible ComplyGuy
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I love Disney even if I am not a kid. Of course it is more fun with kids. Definitely go to Animal Kingdom to see the live Lion King performance. It is worth the price of admission. And if you are a thrill rider MGM is the place for you with the Tower of Terror and the other ride that I can't think of that is roller coaster inside in the dark and you are riding in what looks like a big limo. Your're supposed to be riding with some rock band. The Beauty and the Beast live performance at MGM is great and the laser light performance after dark is awesome but get there early to get a good seat.

Get the passes to Disney that allow you to park hop througout the day. Its worth the extra cost.

Return to Top
#725702 - 05/02/07 06:50 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Ready to Retire
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My vote - although it's been 12 years - is SeaWorld. We loved it there.

Return to Top
#725704 - 05/02/07 06:51 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I loved Seaworld, too. I was at the San Diego one last year! Very cool!

Return to Top
#725707 - 05/02/07 06:53 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
I loved Seaworld, too. I was at the San Diego one last year! Very cool!

hey, y'all come to Texas now, we have Shamu right here in San Antone

Return to Top
#725710 - 05/02/07 06:53 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Retired DQ
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I'm 22, my bro is going to be 19 when we go this summer.
We both love.
There is definetely more to do in Disney for adults then people think.

http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Dis...1992&sr=1-1

A book on things to do in Disney without kids.

Return to Top
#725718 - 05/02/07 06:57 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Imagine
A_G Offline
10K Club
Pleasure Island for sure!

Return to Top
#725724 - 05/02/07 07:00 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: AMLFella
Heading down to Orlando for 4 days and 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Though i regularly go to Florida for work, I have never been to Orlando.

If any of you have been there, please tell me all of the dos and do nots.

Thanks.

You will have to decide if its a 4 day pass to Disney or a 3 day pass and 1 day at Universal. Spidy man is pretty cool and you may not want to miss that at Universal.

Return to Top
#725728 - 05/02/07 07:04 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Ready to Retire
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Quote:
And if you are a thrill rider MGM is the place for you with the Tower of Terror and the other ride that I can't think of that is roller coaster inside in the dark and you are riding in what looks like a big limo.

That's the Rock n Roller Coaster. It's the ride next to the Tower of Terror, so you can get a Fast Pass for one of these rides (which allows you a shorter line at a designated time) while you go on the other one. By the time you're done it's often time to use the Fast Pass.

Return to Top
#725745 - 05/02/07 07:19 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Ted Dreyer
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
We went the first time for us to Disney last year. It was great. My husband and I had as much fun as the kids. I love Animal Kingdom. That and MGM were my favorite of the parks. The Tower of Terror is cool and I loved the Aerosmith ride. We stayed each day from open to close for the parades and got the three day pass with the park hopper option. They have a train that takes you to them. We were worn out by the fourth day, but it was lots of fun.
We did Seaworld in Orlando the year before that, and I loved that too. This year we went to Seaworld in San Antonio.

My husband and I love roller coasters and thrill rides, there was as many in Disney as I hoped for, but it has a great balance of shows, rides, shops, etc. And it's Disney!

The end of summer we are doing Universal with my parents, sadly my husband will miss that one. I'll just have to scope it out so when he gets back, we can optimize our trip.

Return to Top
#725813 - 05/02/07 08:40 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando gone
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
There is adult stuff at Dis, as other shave stated...

MGM, Pleasure Island, Animal Kingdom, Epcot (Living Seas restaurant and GM Test Track ride).

Kinda pricey, but easy to hit a park for an item or two, and them move to another. Everyday too, some one or two open earlier and stay open later than the rest.

Sea World is cool too. Also, a couple hour drive from Cape Canaveral(sp) if you are into the space thing.

Return to Top
#725818 - 05/02/07 08:51 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando #Just Jay
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I've been to both Seaworld and Universal 3 times and have enjoyed it each time. Went to Disneyworld once and it was just ok for me.

Return to Top
#725822 - 05/02/07 08:54 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando #Just Jay
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
My hubby and I loved Disneyworld as adults. Our kids were teenagers and thought it was great too. MGM is fun...The Tower of Terror and the Rock-n-Roll rollercoaster featuring Aerosmith are both fun. Lots to do in Disney for all ages. Get hopper passes so you can hop from park to park each day. The recommendation on the travel books is a must. Helps you navigate better and make your time more worthwhile. It is huge so wear good walking shoes.

Universal is great. There are two parks there too. The Islands of Adventure full of thrill rides and the movie themed park. Both are a great experience and again get the hopper pass so you can hop between the parks. Plus, Citywalk is located between the two parks and Margaritaville is a must!!!

We drove to Cocoa Beach for a day and checked out Ron Jon's sport shop. That was a cool place for shopping and the kids all liked the day at the beach.

Return to Top
#725824 - 05/02/07 08:55 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando #Just Jay
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I really like Downtown Disney.. There are LOTS of shops (Disney, memorabilia, HUGE Virgin Records store) as well as House of Blues and Cirque de Soleil. Restaurants.... check it out!

http://www.downtowndisney.com

Return to Top
#725887 - 05/03/07 03:26 AM Re: Vacation in Orlando Ops
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I am a huge Disney fan and would definitely recommend going! There are adult things to do and many things that will amaze you. I've been there are least 10 times, the last several times by myself. Each time there is something new to see.

Disney has a nice program where if you stay at a Disney hotel you can get in early or stay late at particular park each day.

Return to Top
#725932 - 05/03/07 01:07 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando Rubaiyat
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Seaworld is wonderful! Havent' been to disney since I was a kid. What's the name of that adventure camp where you can swim with dolphins? That sounds like fun.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#725940 - 05/03/07 01:17 PM Re: Vacation in Orlando waldensouth
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Seaworld is wonderful! Havent' been to disney since I was a kid. What's the name of that adventure camp where you can swim with dolphins? That sounds like fun.

Discovery Cove.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2