Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options Tools
#72603 - 04/09/03 03:04 PM Statue of Saddam
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you who have access to a tv, turn it on to see the celebration and jubilation in the center of Baghdad as a U.S. tank just assisted the Iraqi people in pulling down a massive statute of Saddam. It is an awe-inspiring sight to behold.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#72604 - 04/09/03 03:10 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
For those of us (at least me)who have a child depolyed to Iraq it is a hugh relief to "see" that the majority of people in Iraq are so pleased and grateful for our presence. But I still will worry until he is home safe & sound (in Killeen TX !!)

Return to Top
#72605 - 04/09/03 03:10 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We had several folks huddled around the tv watching as well. Definitely history in the making!

Return to Top
#72606 - 04/09/03 03:14 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm not around a television right now. Is it like when they took down the Berlin Wall?

Return to Top
#72607 - 04/09/03 03:15 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Exactly.

Return to Top
#72608 - 04/09/03 03:16 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

For those of us (at least me)who have a child depolyed to Iraq it is a hugh relief to "see" that the majority of people in Iraq are so pleased and grateful for our presence. But I still will worry until he is home safe & sound (in Killeen TX !!)

We in Killeen want them all home, safe and sound as well.

I saw that clip a few moments ago. And to think what would have happened to these people just a few weeks ago for even planning to do this.

It was reminiscent of clips I've seen from Berlin after WWII.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#72609 - 04/09/03 03:19 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
There are also images of Iraqis hitting pictures of Saddam with a shoe. In their country showing someone the sole of your shoe (or in this case, hitting a picture of them) is a gesture of contempt and a way of saying "You're beneath me". In any case, this is a great day for the people of Iraq. For those of you who have loved ones over in Iraq, my most sincere thanks, both to them, for putting their lives on the line, and to you, for your unselfish sacrifice and support.

Return to Top
#72610 - 04/09/03 03:22 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Quote:

For those of you who have access to a tv, turn it on to see the celebration and jubilation in the center of Baghdad as a U.S. tank just assisted the Iraqi people in pulling down a massive statute of Saddam. It is an awe-inspiring sight to behold.

I have the goosebumps ...amazing.

Return to Top
#72611 - 04/09/03 03:24 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
We also watched it, as well as some of our customers that happened to be in the lobby. Quite an event. That was the statue, I wonder where the man is. ???

Return to Top
#72612 - 04/09/03 03:25 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Quote:

My son is safe in Auburn, AL ...but his best friend is over there. My thoughts and prayers are with all of them. They are all heros in my eyes ...Let's hope they can come home soon.

Return to Top
#72613 - 04/09/03 03:45 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

Quote:

My son is safe in Auburn, AL ...but his best friend is over there. My thoughts and prayers are with all of them. They are all heros in my eyes ...Let's hope they can come home soon.

Please, everyone, pray for everyone! I have a close friend that is the head of the Army Sniper school in Georgia. His positon is nondeployable. The Army has put him in charge of all funeral arrangements in the entire South Eastern United States. He is having a very difficult time, please keep him in your prayers! Thank you!

Return to Top
#72614 - 04/09/03 04:13 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
One of our employees is the wife of one of the POWs shown on TV a couple of weeks ago. Add their safe return to your prayers too, please!

Return to Top
#72615 - 04/09/03 05:05 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
I had been watching FOX news while I was making my coffee and I knew I was watching history, I just didn't want to leave for work. As I was driving in my eyes kept watering up thinking of those people and all they have been through and the range of emotions they must be feeling. Also, that hopefully our troops will be safe. I am so proud of these men and women and my heart and prayers go out to each of them every night.

Return to Top
#72616 - 04/09/03 07:38 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
There's a rumor that So Damn Insane has gone underground.

Return to Top
#72617 - 04/09/03 08:02 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

There's a rumor that So Damn Insane has gone underground.

He has. We're just not sure yet if it's a literal or figurative statement.

Return to Top
#72618 - 04/09/03 08:10 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, there are all kinds of rumors flying around even now. Some say he's alive, some say he's dead, some say the Russians are hiding him, some say he's gone to Syria. Really, for him, I don't think he could accept being hidden by someone. He doesn't trust anyone. He even keeps (or kept) one of his sons out of the loop. They didn't know what happened to Hilter for a long time. Just wait. Twenty years from now, the grocery store tabloids will have all kinds of crazy stories and all the wacky, late night talk show guys will have all their theories.

Return to Top
#72619 - 04/09/03 08:15 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
My thoughts and prayers have also been with our troops in this conflict whether home or abroad. In these trying times, they all deserve our support.

On a lighter side, I just got this in a email and got a chuckle out of it and thought I'd share it.

I got off my train in Rosslyn because I had to use the bathroom. When I was getting back on the train, there were protestors on the train platform handing out pamphlets on the evils of America. I politely declined to take one. An elderly woman was behind me getting off the escalator and a young (20ish) female protestor offered her a pamphlet, which she politely declined. The young protestor put her hand on the old woman's shoulder as a gesture of friendship and in a very soft voice said, "Ma'am, don't you care about the children of Iraq?"

The old woman looked up at her and said, 'Honey, my first husband died in France during World War II to preserve your right to stand here and bad mouth your country. If you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your ass and open it.'

I'm glad to report that loud applause broke out among the onlookers and the young protestor was at a total loss for words."

Return to Top
#72620 - 04/09/03 08:16 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I just want to see how Saturday Night Live portrays the Iraqi "Information" Minister.

Return to Top
#72621 - 04/09/03 08:22 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#72622 - 04/09/03 08:22 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
That guy was the eternal optimist. American troops were yards away, bombs were exploding and he was still claiming victory.

But, I heard he didn't show up for work today. Vacation?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#72623 - 04/09/03 08:24 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Probably a policy that he takes 2 continuous weeks.

Return to Top
#72624 - 04/09/03 08:26 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

.... But, I heard he didn't show up for work today. Vacation?

No, he phoned in sick saying he was hallucinating!

Return to Top
#72625 - 04/09/03 08:36 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
This says it all.

Return to Top
#72626 - 04/09/03 08:45 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

I just want to see how Saturday Night Live portrays the Iraqi "Information" Minister.

I think they should bring in Jon Lovitz in his "Liar" personna - "We're forcing the Americans to tear down our Government Buildings as a - uh - part of urban renewal - Yeah that's it that's the ticket."

Return to Top
#72627 - 04/09/03 08:52 PM Re: Statue of Saddam
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Like him or not, Rush played a great parody on his show yesterday. It was a commercial for the US military. The announcer says something like "The US military is in the business of communicating with the government in Iraq". Then you hear bombs going off, and an impersonation of President Bush saying "Saddam, can you hear me now?" (like the Verizon Wireless commercial). It'd definately be funnier if you heard it, but it was absolutely hilarious.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3