Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#727593 - 05/07/07 04:42 PM neighborhood bully upsetting pets
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Approximately 15 year old boy lets his smallish (maybe 15-20 lbs.) dog off leash. Dog terrorized one of our cats up trees in our backyard twice, and another one of our cats has been missing for 4 days. When we confronted his stepfather, the man phoned [presumably] the boy's mother and said, "[boy's name] is at it again, really upsetting more of the neighbors."

I won't repeat what my husband said he'd do to the dog if he saw it loose in our yard again.

When we saw the dog on leash with the stepfather, the dog whimpered a bit at the sight of me, but let me scratch it under its chin while the stepfather had it on leash. The stepfather previously told me that the dog loves to chase cats, but the dog clearly can be controlled with a leash and collar; I had no problem grabbing the leash when the dog was in our back yard.

The local community does have a leash law.

Any suggestions? Thanks -

Return to Top
#727595 - 05/07/07 04:47 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Phoenix
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
buy a tiger.

Return to Top
#727597 - 05/07/07 04:48 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Phoenix
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Get a big dog to chase the boy up a tree...

Return to Top
#727601 - 05/07/07 04:50 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets XODUS
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Originally Posted By: XODUS
buy a tiger.

Scratch that... Buy a Liger.

Return to Top
#727614 - 05/07/07 05:00 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Fork Ate Spoon
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Have you thought about putting up a fence? This would keep your cats in and the dog out of your yard.

Return to Top
#727679 - 05/07/07 06:03 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets hmdagal
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
Confront the boy. Ask him to keep the dog on the leash when walking by your yard. Keep asking each time you see the dog off of the leash. Most of the time, teens will do as they are asked because they don't like to be nagged over and over again about the same thing. If he has a routine time to walk the dog by, be standing outside to see if he is complying with your request. From my experiences, fences don't mean squat to cats and it wont really help.

Return to Top
#727697 - 05/07/07 06:20 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets TXBSA
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Agree about the fence being useless. Cat scrambled 20 feet up each tree, far above where we could even put the feral cat fencing that's available that angles in. We also have so many trees in our tiny backyard that there's no obvious route for any sort of fence.

We both work, but I do like the idea of "nagging" as we can until we get the desired behavior.

Return to Top
#727723 - 05/07/07 06:46 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Phoenix
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Originally Posted By: Phoenix

I'd give the family one more chance to correct the situation and then contact the agency reponsible for enforcing the law to determine what they will need from you in order to file a complaint.

Return to Top
#727741 - 05/07/07 06:55 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Cowboys Fan
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
The point I was trying to make (nicely, of course), is that before taking any action against the family with the dog, you should be darn sure that your cats aren't leaving your property - perhaps baiting the boy or the dog?

Yes, I do have both cats and dogs, and with extremely rare exceptions, the only time any of them leave my property they are on leash or in a car.

Return to Top
#728197 - 05/08/07 03:48 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets XODUS
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: XODUS
buy a tiger.

[agreed]
That'll teach the dog not to chase cats...

Return to Top
#728211 - 05/08/07 03:59 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets JacF
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
so you expect the dog to be on a leash, but not your cat? how funny. bleach around the perimiter of your yard will keep the dog away. so will a fence. call the police about the dog being off the leash.

Quote:
teens will do as they are asked because they don't like to be nagged over and over again about the same thing

obviously stated by someone without a teen...

Return to Top
#728237 - 05/08/07 04:31 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Cowboys Fan
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Cowboys Fan
Originally Posted By: Phoenix

I'd give the family one more chance to correct the situation and then contact the agency reponsible for enforcing the law to determine what they will need from you in order to file a complaint.

I agree. Give the family one more chance and then you can contact your local animal control and have them go to the family and speak to them about this.
Last edited by QueenBee; 05/08/07 04:32 PM.
Return to Top
#728247 - 05/08/07 04:39 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets anon2006
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
In rereading this thread...how can your cats run up a tree unless they too are outside unleashed???

Are they wandering into the neighbors yard and baiting the dog and kid?? Maybe the kid is trying to teach you a lesson about wandering animals??

Return to Top
#728252 - 05/08/07 04:41 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets #Just Jay
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
This is an interesting point - I think you should research if the leash law is specific to dogs.

Return to Top
#728351 - 05/08/07 06:07 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Fork Ate Spoon
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Fork eats Spoon

Scratch that... Buy a Liger.

it's only my favorite animal

Return to Top
#728385 - 05/08/07 06:49 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Bailey.
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
My husband phoned the local animal control office: if the dog is in OUR yard again, not controlled by its owner, we can grab it and hold it and call Animal Control and let Animal Control handle the situation.

Yes, we let some of our cats outside. In the incident described, the cat was in our backyard. The dog was not controlled, and, dragging its leash, chased our cat up one, then another, of the trees in our backyard.

I doubt cats "bait" dogs. Sometimes dogs and cats like to chase each other. Most of the time, though, they just stay out of each other's way.

One of our other neighbors hinted that the dog and the boy have caused problems before, and the boy's stepfather seemed to confirm that. Since another one of our cats is now missing, we're especially concerned.

Return to Top
#728388 - 05/08/07 06:54 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Phoenix
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I would echo the "make sure your cats are allowed outside uncontrolled" before jumping on this kid too far. Yes, it's rude - yes, he needs to be reprimanded for it....but your cats being outside (in your yard at the time is possibly irrelevant from a legal standpoint) without a means of containment per your county's leash law could cause issue if this ever required intervention by law enforcement. For example: if you have their dog impounded, don't be surprised if they return the favor in regards to your cats.

Return to Top
#728409 - 05/08/07 07:20 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets RR Becca
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
How many of your communities have a leash law that requires a cat to be on a leash? Cats don't attack people unprovoked. Some dogs do when allowed to run wild. Hence the leash laws in most communities.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#728419 - 05/08/07 07:32 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets waldensouth
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
How many of your communities have a leash law that requires a cat to be on a leash? Cats don't attack people unprovoked. Some dogs do when allowed to run wild. Hence the leash laws in most communities.

In Wisconsin, we do not have leash laws on cats, we assume they are ferral and simply shoot them.

Don't get me wrong...I have three cats (none of which are allowed outside), even if the kid is a trouble maker, I do not think it is fair to hold him to a different standard than you and your own pets. Yes, if his dog will be outside in their yard off the leash, he should be supervised. That should also go for your cats too.

What is good for the goose...

Return to Top
#728437 - 05/08/07 07:43 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets #Just Jay
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
In some counties the leash law applies to all pets - not just dogs. We're just suggesting Phoenix check it out before using it against the kid in question.

Also, leash laws are typically in place for more than to prevent dog attacks. They also guard against spread of communicable disease (between the animals, I don't necessarily mean zoonotics), reduce stray populations, prevent some vehicle accidents, and make animal control's job easier (if it's loose, it must be a stray) just to name a few.

Personally, I'd be more wary of retaliation by the kid if you get his doggie taken away. We all know teen boys can do very spiteful things. Your cats being outside unsupervised (if you let them out without you - I don't know if you do or not) would just make it easier and more tempting for him.

Return to Top
#728444 - 05/08/07 07:48 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets #Just Jay
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm not sure about where Phoenix lives, but in my city we have an animal nuisance law prohibiting cats from running loose. They can be reported and picked up by animal control. The concerns with uncontrolled cats include littering and killing birds.

Again, I would make sure that the cats are controlled before taking any action against the dog and/or it's owners, or it could come back to haunt you.

Return to Top
#728452 - 05/08/07 07:51 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets hmdagal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Forgot to add: "leash law" sometimes is a very general term for "keep your pets contained and under control."

Return to Top
#728574 - 05/08/07 09:01 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets RR Becca
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Many of you bring up some good cautionary notes, and that's why I posted this - to just impulsively react could cause a number of very negative and unnecessary consequences, both to the pets and potentially to some people. That's why I couldn't think of an obvious answer. To simply lash out at the boy, or the dog - hey, there are far worse things he and/or the dog could do; yet to do nothing didn't seem quite right.

When this incident first unfolded, the cat that ultimately went up the trees was curled up on a chair on a deck 2 stories above the yard. She and another cat were looking in the dog's direction warily enough that I figured they'd stay on the deck. Instead, the boy acted his age, and the dog and cat acted typical of their species. We're genuinely concerned that the missing cat may be injured or dead because of something we didn't witness that the boy or dog may have done; that's why I (we) really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks again!

(BTW, I think our suburb would frown on our owning tigers or ligers!)

Return to Top
#728605 - 05/08/07 09:29 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets Phoenix
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Cats don't attack people unprovoked

If my granny was still alive, I'd introduce you to her cat Ms. Miller, who often attacked anything within 10 feet of her. I still have scars today (30 years later) on my ankle where she bit me. I was sitting watching TV, didn't even know she was in the room.

Return to Top
#728609 - 05/08/07 09:32 PM Re: neighborhood bully upsetting pets HappyGilmore
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Just dig some punji pits on your property, problem solved.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett