Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#729900 - 05/10/07 04:48 PM Did she resign?
kandyb Offline
New Poster
An employee in our accounting dept. told her manager she is looking for another job. Can I assume this is a resignation? She deals with alot of sensitive material, including issuing bank checks, etc.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#729973 - 05/10/07 05:55 PM Re: Did she resign? kandyb
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
No, that is not a resignation. Rather, it is an expression of an intent to resign at a future date commonly due to a perception of greener grass, a disguised attempt for additional pay or other compensation, or simply a sign of frustration with her current job prospects or situation.

Whether you wish her to stay will determine if you should inquire as to what she is looking for that you are not offering or, instead, hand her the classified section of the paper with a note you'd be glad to help with her search.

Return to Top
#729979 - 05/10/07 06:02 PM Re: Did she resign? SavannahOne
FraudBuster Offline
100 Club
Indiana
Is "I'm looking for another job" a resignation? I beg your pardon? In a day and age where most people can be expected to change CAREERS (not just jobs) half a dozen times in their lives, it should be a given that a sizeable portion of your workforce is "looking" at any given time. Granted, it may or not be a good idea to tell your boss that you're looking, but it should not shock anyone, nor would I recommend punitive actions for it.

Let's face it: Loyalty isn't what it used to be, and that's every bit as true of employers as employees. If a person does their work faithfully for as long as they're on the payroll, that's as much loyalty as you're entitled to expect.

Return to Top
#730046 - 05/10/07 06:55 PM Re: Did she resign? FraudBuster
joser Offline
NJ
I would think it depends on the nature of the job and how truly sensitive it is. In some cases it might be prudent to remove the employee into another capacity or ensure stronger monitoring is in effect.

For example - The temptation to "bring a book of Business" to a new employor could be a strong motivator, regardless of signed acknowledgements and other tools and training. In my experience I've have found completed loan applications with other bank's name on them in solicitor's desks. Or applicant's calling about their application with us after the solicitor left - of course none to be found.

If I had a disgruntled employee - I might transfer either them or someone else to keep a closer eye on them as well as contact EAP.

Return to Top
#730055 - 05/10/07 07:02 PM Re: Did she resign? joser
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Joser, as I said once before here, disgruntled employee is (or should be, a contradiction in terms. You need to help them become gruntled (??) or help them become an ex-employee. If the job you help them find makes them happy, it is a win-win. They will be an ex-employee, but not a disgruteled ex-employee.

Al

Return to Top
#730134 - 05/10/07 08:10 PM Re: Did she resign? Al Miller
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
WY - still a CO girl, though
I agree with Al. I also believe that sometimes employees are attempting to give ample notice to their employers that they are out looking and don't realize the consequences. Such questions as:

how soon do you tell an employer after you've learned of an upcoming move? do you tell your employer you are looking in case someone calls for reference?

These are important questions that may totally depend on the company, the boss, the time of month, etc... to get the right answers.

I would use the information to start asking questions of your own to find out why this person is looking elsewhere. I would do just as Al says - make sure that they aren't disgruntled and if so, fix it!

Return to Top
#730299 - 05/11/07 01:20 PM Re: Did she resign? cologirl@heart
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
I wouldn't look too far into this person's statement that they are looking for a new job. If you do take action and the person was not serious, this could lead to a lawsuit over "revenge." You heard she was looking for another job, so let her go.... not going to look good. I would not just jump to any conclusions.

Return to Top
#731902 - 05/15/07 01:18 PM Re: Did she resign? TXBSA
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
I have had employees say..."I've been offered a job at XYZ Bank more than once." Or "I was offered a better paying job at ABC Bank." But ironically, they are still here. Sometimes I think they say things like that to let you know that they do have options, they are 'valuable', and you could lose them if you don't keep them happy (most of the time it's about the $$$$).

Like it's already been said above, everyone looks from time to time at some point in their working career, whether it's because they are frustrated with their current job or just looking for a change.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry