Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#730314 - 05/11/07 01:36 PM Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Bush would agree to benchmarks of progress for Iraqi government

While I in no way think that partial funding of the troops is the way to go, the idea that the President would agree to benchmarks is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
"It makes sense to have benchmarks as a part of our discussion on how to go forward," Bush said, even as he threatened to veto the House plan - approved Thursday night on a vote of 221 to 205 - that would require him to seek approval in two months for the balance of the war money.

Now that there is a common ground, let us make it work.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#730333 - 05/11/07 02:03 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I think Bush listen's to congress a good bit, he just chooses to do something other than they suggest (wow, a president who does what he thinks is right and acts on it, isn't that what you and Ronobama are touting about Barack?). I think your arguement would be better serverd by saying that he is agreeing with what they are suggesting and moving from there.

Although I seem to remember on a number of occassions Bush stating we need to determine levels of progress before pulling out (I suppose a wise person could construe that maybe congress is finally listening to Bush and taking action on what he is suggesting)

Return to Top
#730341 - 05/11/07 02:07 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress HappyGilmore
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Good point Happy. And good to have you back.

Return to Top
#730345 - 05/11/07 02:11 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Grumpy, I echo Fella's welcome back.
The President did initially mention benchmarks in his "surge" speech during the beginning of the year.
However, it slowly and quietly slipped away from the talking points of the President's supporters on Iraq.
It seems only to have come back into play due to the pressure from the GOP members of Congress.

Return to Top
#730439 - 05/11/07 03:11 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Pressure from few Repulicans, more moderate ones at that, and their only concern is the upcoming elections next year. They realize if their is either a lack of progress, or a lack of troop withdrawal, their numbers in the Congress may drop as a result...this is only a CYA on their part.

Honestly, I almost would be dissapointed in Bush if we were to agree to benchmarks not on his terms. Do not get me wrong, I never thought going into Iraq was right (Afganistan though, yes).

If he agrees to artificial benchmarks he does not truely believe in, and this war ends up being a bust after all of this, he will go remembered as one of the worst presidents in history. If he sticks to his guns, which I kinda do respect, he may secure himself a better spot in the historybooks.

I had said at the start of the surge I did not agree with it, but if are going to do it, do it right and send 40-50K troops to do it. I almost wonder now if maintaining the troops levels and waiting out the insurgency, while working on continued regional support for their brother Iraq isn't such a bad idea??

Return to Top
#730459 - 05/11/07 03:24 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Quote:
the idea that the President would agree to benchmarks is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
The President did initially mention benchmarks in his "surge" speech during the beginning of the year

So, he brings it up, can 't get congress to buy off, so heads in another direction. Congress finally wises up, agrees that they need to be in place, president says this is what they should be, threatens to veto stupid 90-day criteria, but we are now going in the right direction?

Wow, you could write spin pieces for Obama.

Return to Top
#730501 - 05/11/07 03:51 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
#1. It was the President who dropped it. Congress has been calling for benchmarks since the Surge.

Return to Top
#730511 - 05/11/07 03:56 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine

Return to Top
#730520 - 05/11/07 04:05 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Let's be clear here neo... Bush was not against BENCHMARKS. He was against the FUNDING BILL with benchmarks. In other words, lets give our troops what they need and discuss benchmarks somewhere else.

Return to Top
#730525 - 05/11/07 04:08 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Well...where does he think the benchmarks are going to come from?
The temporary supplemental will be vetoed.
And the new funding bill will include the benchmarks.
Congress wins.

Return to Top
#730534 - 05/11/07 04:12 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Quote:
Also today, President Bush said that he would consider accepting an Iraq spending bill that included progress benchmarks.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/House_votes_to_fun_Iraq_war_0510.html

Return to Top
#730538 - 05/11/07 04:14 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Well...where does he think the benchmarks are going to come from?
The temporary supplemental will be vetoed.
And the new funding bill will include the benchmarks.
Congress wins.

Assuming the new funding bill that includes the benchmarks does not get vetoed.

Congress doesn't win. In fact, so long as Congress continues to try to thwart the war plan, NOBODY wins.

Return to Top
#730551 - 05/11/07 04:21 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Right BF...we get it...blind support of the President...

Return to Top
#730558 - 05/11/07 04:26 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
Congress wins.

not about congress winning...at least, it shouldn't be

Return to Top
#730562 - 05/11/07 04:27 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Well, Neo, yes, we (as a country) elected him, thus by our vote we do support him and the choices he makes...we have given him that discretion.

We can argue and disagree about it all we want, but we did put him in place to do what he is doing. In two years we will have the chance to go a different direction if we like.

Return to Top
#730571 - 05/11/07 04:33 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress #Just Jay
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
You all know what I mean.
This should be about our troops.
Why I don't like the idea of this short, temporary spending authorization.
The President SHOULD veto it.

However, we do need to think about our troops. And if the Iraqis are messing around, taking 2 month vacation while our boys are dying, then we need to get out.

Return to Top
#730584 - 05/11/07 04:46 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
no, we need to over throw the country and start slaughtering people until they acquiesce. then send in massive amounts of troops and assault Iran so that we will only need to fight one direction later. Once Iran has fallen, turn our attention to the West and sweep through to Isreal. Once all resistance has been quelched begin the advance down the east coast of Africa.

Return to Top
#730602 - 05/11/07 04:57 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
you know what, sometimes I find what you say so ridiculous that I am not even sure where to begin replying... lol

Return to Top
#730614 - 05/11/07 05:04 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Right BF...we get it...blind support of the President...

Right neo, blind hatred of the President. I get it.

I didn't say blind support of the President. LISTEN to military advisors. You know, the guys who make a profession out of fighting these wars. Just because the President is listening to them doesn't make them wrong. They have said pulling out too early will be worse than just about any other option. They have said we need these items to keep our troops safe. The President listened to them.

You, and much of the liberal congress just seem think that since the President said something, it MUST be wrong.

Return to Top
#730624 - 05/11/07 05:15 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I don't hate the President.
I think in his heart he is a good man.
I think he has gravely misjudged many responses in his Presidency.
I am merely pointing out that on April 29, 2007 SecState Rice said the President was against benchmarks in a funding bill. On May 10, the President said he would consider it. He has flip-flopped on the issue because of the pressure the GOP put on him.

KMS...you talking to me?

Return to Top
#730631 - 05/11/07 05:20 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress kms
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Originally Posted By: kms
you know what, sometimes I find what you say so ridiculous that I am not even sure where to begin replying... lol

me? thanks, that was somewhat my intent. as these political posts have become somewhat ridiculous. I hoped by throwing the the Africa stuff people would realize it was in jest...

Return to Top
#730654 - 05/11/07 05:37 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress XODUS
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Neo, at one point you say the Prez is taking a step in the right direction, and now later int he same thread you appear to be critizing him for flip-flopping.

I guess I do not understand your position here.

Return to Top
#730667 - 05/11/07 05:42 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
I think he has gravely misjudged many responses in his Presidency

Short of William Henry Harrison, who died 31 days into his term, I believe that every president has gravely misjudged responses while in office (Mr. Harrison misjudged his swearing in ceremony, and contracted pneumonia while giving a 2-hour speech in the rain and cold).

Quote:
He has flip-flopped on the issue

So he re-evaluated the options, and has said he will consider them. If he chose not to do this, you would say he is unbending. Yet, since he has said he will listen, he is now flip-flopping.

Simply amazing...

Return to Top
#730677 - 05/11/07 05:48 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I am merely pointing out that on April 29, 2007 SecState Rice said the President was against benchmarks in a funding bill. On May 10, the President said he would consider it. He has flip-flopped on the issue because of the pressure the GOP put on him.

KMS...you talking to me?

Wait a second, it is flip-flopping when someone else says you are against something and you say Well, I'd consider it?

Return to Top
#730678 - 05/11/07 05:48 PM Re: Bush FINALLY Listening to Congress Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

KMS...you talking to me?

Wait a second, it is flip-flopping when someone else says you are against something and you say Well, I'd consider it?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2