BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#731579 - 05/14/07 07:58 PM Pregnant
nat Offline
100 Club
nat
Frisco, TX
I found out a few weeks ago that my husband and I will be expecting our first baby! I am so exctied, but I am feeling SO sick! I have been especially nauseous and tired the past several days. Does anybody have any tips? Thanks!

Return to Top
#731585 - 05/14/07 08:02 PM Re: Pregnant nat
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
My mom suggests nibbling saltine crackers and sipping Sprite. She used to keep some on the night stand and it was one of the first things she reached for after waking up.

Congratulations, nat!!!

Return to Top
#731594 - 05/14/07 08:07 PM Re: Pregnant Bacon Boy
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
Hi Nat - Bacon is right on ....

Get up slowly in the am and try eating something before you get out of bed...

Try eating a little something every 1/2 hour to keep something in your stomach. If your stomach gets empty, that will probably make you more sick (it's the opposite of what you think). Even if it is one pretzel, eat something.

I had a hard time adjusting to the pre-natal vitamins and I found that was making me sick....have you tried taking your pre-natal vitamin at night?

Oh and ps - congratulations!

Return to Top
#731617 - 05/14/07 08:17 PM Re: Pregnant anon2006
nat Offline
100 Club
nat
Frisco, TX
Originally Posted By: QueenBee

Try eating a little something every 1/2 hour to keep something in your stomach. If your stomach gets empty, that will probably make you more sick (it's the opposite of what you think). Even if it is one pretzel, eat something.

I had a hard time adjusting to the pre-natal vitamins and I found that was making me sick....have you tried taking your pre-natal vitamin at night?

Thanks for the advice! I will try that for sure. My doctor suggested taking the vitamins at night so that is what I have been doing. I sometimes wake up with an upset stomach, but i'm sure it's better to sleep through that than to deal with the stomach ache all day! I will hopefully only have a couple more weeks of this!

Return to Top
#731620 - 05/14/07 08:19 PM Re: Pregnant anon2006
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Ditto what Queen Bee said. The pre-natal vitamins were my downfall until I started taking them at night. And the tiredness will go away after the first trimester. At least mine did.

Return to Top
#731633 - 05/14/07 08:30 PM Re: Pregnant Ready to Retire
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
Nat,
congratulations! I'm 15 weeks along now and still waiting to feel better. I wish I could offer you a magic bullet, but if there is one, I haven't found it. I will ditto keeping something in your stomach. I'm not sure how much it helps with the nausia, but I find that when I don't eat, not only do I still feel sick, but then I'm also weak and sick from not eating.
Ginger and mint are also supposed to help. Sometimes just sucking on hard candy will help me keep the nausia down.

My Dr. recommended that if my vitamins were making me sick, to switch to a childrens vitamin (i.e. Filntstones) and take two twice a day. She says they'll give you what you need and won't make you sick. I think she said it was all the iron they put in the pre-natals that tends to get to people.

Good luck and happy belated mother's day!

Return to Top
#731674 - 05/14/07 08:52 PM Re: Pregnant Jaeger Schnitzel
nat Offline
100 Club
nat
Frisco, TX
Originally Posted By: Jaeger Schnitzel
Nat,
congratulations! I'm 15 weeks along now and still waiting to feel better. I wish I could offer you a magic bullet, but if there is one, I haven't found it. I will ditto keeping something in your stomach. I'm not sure how much it helps with the nausia, but I find that when I don't eat, not only do I still feel sick, but then I'm also weak and sick from not eating.
Ginger and mint are also supposed to help. Sometimes just sucking on hard candy will help me keep the nausia down.

My Dr. recommended that if my vitamins were making me sick, to switch to a childrens vitamin (i.e. Filntstones) and take two twice a day. She says they'll give you what you need and won't make you sick. I think she said it was all the iron they put in the pre-natals that tends to get to people.

Good luck and happy belated mother's day!

Thank you so much! You are so sweet! Good luck with your pregnancy! And Happy belated Mother's day to you as well!!!

Return to Top
#731728 - 05/14/07 09:35 PM Re: Pregnant nat
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope the nausea soon goes away. I remember another fairly recent thread on the same topic, and I hope something in there may help you. Click here:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...e=4&fpart=1

Return to Top
#731789 - 05/14/07 10:38 PM Re: Pregnant BurntSienna
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I was told to keep crackers and sprite by the bed...when I woke up I was to eat a few crackers and sip on the sprite before I ever got out of bed...sometimes it would help...

Congratulations!!!

Return to Top
#731858 - 05/15/07 12:10 PM Re: Pregnant nat
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: nat
Originally Posted By: QueenBee

Thanks for the advice! I will try that for sure. My doctor suggested taking the vitamins at night so that is what I have been doing. I sometimes wake up with an upset stomach, but i'm sure it's better to sleep through that than to deal with the stomach ache all day! I will hopefully only have a couple more weeks of this!

Nat - what I actually ended up doing was switching to a children's chewable vitamin plus a folic acid (at my dr's recommendation of course) and that took care of it. I tried taking the vitamin at night, but I would wake up sick.

My second pregnancy, I didnt have any problems with the pre-natal.

Yea - like jaeger said I didnt see that when I first posted/
Last edited by QueenBee; 05/15/07 12:11 PM.
Return to Top
#731868 - 05/15/07 12:24 PM Re: Pregnant anon2006
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
When my wife was expecting our first child she began getting nausea and started wearing one of those motion sickness bands that go around your wrist. There is a small ball that presses on a pressure point in the wrist and is supposed to alleviate nausea. It sounded far fetched, but it worked like a charm for her and got her through that part of the pregnancy. We ordered ours through the mail but now you can buy them at most drug stores. Congrats on the baby!

Return to Top
#731894 - 05/15/07 01:04 PM Re: Pregnant thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Never having had morning sickness, I can only wish you well and congrats and hopefully the misery will end for you soon!

Return to Top
#732020 - 05/15/07 02:21 PM Re: Pregnant Retired DQ
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
I had morning sickness bad too. The prenatals made it worse. I am still taking childrens Flintstones and am 30 weeks along.

Return to Top
#732370 - 05/15/07 04:53 PM Re: Pregnant TXBSA
Rosebud123 Offline
Platinum Poster
Florida
Congrats! I am 23 weeks. This is my second and I had little morning sickness, but I must agree Sprite and crackers was the best!

Return to Top
#732854 - 05/16/07 12:18 AM Re: Pregnant Rosebud123
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I can't help at all. I was sick (throwing up and all) for 5 months. Nothing helped. My solution - I never got pregnant again.

Return to Top
#732864 - 05/16/07 03:54 AM Re: Pregnant CRAatBOK
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: KCGeoQueen
My solution - I never got pregnant again.

Sounds quite effective.

Return to Top
#735397 - 05/18/07 02:32 PM Re: Pregnant #Just Jay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Congratulations, y'all! I was much sicker the 2nd time around (darn boys). I found that keeping something in my stomach as much as I could helped. Also, go for protein if you can stomach it - peanut butter was my saving grace. Cheese might work as well (cheese toast, cheese & crackers, peanut butter crackers, etc.) Lemon drops also helped soothe my nausea.

Return to Top
#741237 - 05/26/07 12:34 AM Re: Pregnant E.E.G.B
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Congratulations, I have a 4 month old boy, and can't believe how wonderful it has been.
As for the morning sickness, I ate saltines and "Prego-Pops" that seemed to help. So did eating popsicles, I am not sure why, but it seemed to help.
I have heard the chewing gum helps too.
Good luck and keep us up to date on the pregnancy.

Return to Top
#744747 - 06/01/07 05:30 PM Re: Pregnant thomasj
Satika Offline
New Poster
Oklahoma
I am 30 weeks with our first and I too had a terrible time with 'morning' sickness (yeah right - more like around the clock sickness)! I found that the motion sickness bands were helpful for me. I think they are called 'Sea Bands'. I also did the cracker thing in the morning but my doctor suggested a flat coke instead of sprite. It helped a little but the sea bands did a lot more for me.
Hang in there Nat, hopefully it won't last much longer for you...

Return to Top
#744845 - 06/01/07 06:22 PM Re: Pregnant Satika
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
When I was pregnant with my first one (10 years ago) My friends mom was one of those certified herbal doctor things, and she gave me hyland tablets, they are like humphries (for teething babies) you put six little chalky tablets under your tongue and lay down, the nausea is gone within seconds. They are completely herbal, so they are fine during pregnancy. But.... I don't know if they are still around, I had no "morning sickness" with my other two. Try googling it or ask your doctor. It worked wonders for me. Congratulations, and good luck.

Oh, and I read that you've had bad luck with pregnancies in the past, so just for some encouragement, I had 4 miscarriages before I got my middle child, and 3 before I got my youngest, so don't let bad luck in the past ruin the enjoyment of being prego now. Don't worry, soon enough you'll be changing diapers, waking up every couple of hours, walking around your house like a zombie wondering why you wanted kids in the first place! Just kidding, kids are great, I have 3, and would like 2 more, but I got my tubes tied to ensure my sanity!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett