Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#723014 - 04/27/07 01:20 PM Cash Count Records
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We are going through a software conversion. And the new software allows for the teller to count and record her cash count each night in the software. And while tellers may be able to print off the cash count, they are wanting not to do so, if they balance. While the total cash count will remain part of the day's balancing records, a record of the actual denominations counted, will not.

So my question is, is there any retention requirement or purpose for retaining cash counts slips?

Thanks

Return to Top
Audit
#723019 - 04/27/07 01:24 PM Re: Cash Count Records biz
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I liked to have the slips on hand in the event a random cash count showed the teller did not balance, then we could look back at her last count and compare the denominations.

Return to Top
#723024 - 04/27/07 01:26 PM Re: Cash Count Records Countess Kiwi
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
We require tellers to print out their cash list daily and they are reviewed by another non-teller employee.

Return to Top
#723042 - 04/27/07 01:38 PM Re: Cash Count Records Happy Drugs
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Please understand, I'm not arguing with you, in fact I agree with you and would prefer them to be printed like we've done forever, and appreciate your comments. But from a teller's point of view, printing them is "old school and what's the point". Do we continue to do it, "because we always have" or is there a required reason to do it?

Music Mom-What's your thought process of having another employee review it. Do they sign off-initial it. What are they verifying-that what is on the list, is what in the drawer-are they counting it?

Countess-Do completing random cash counts every now and then support completing this every day and storing them. Maybe that's a question. How long do you keep them?

Again, keep in mind, I'm on your side. I'm just trying to see it from the teller line point of view.

Return to Top
#723136 - 04/27/07 02:40 PM Re: Cash Count Records biz
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Do you have access to a retention schedule? If so, I believe there is a requirement for cash counts. I don't have access to one right now, but that is where I would check first.

From a teller point of view, cya. You only have a total amount that was in your drawer, if it is discovered through some count that the bank is missing a bundle of 100's that shows was sold to you via tracing tickets back from the vault, how are you going to try to prove that bundle was in fact in your drawer when you counted it? Far fetched scenario, but simply printing a piece of paper is not a big deal. Get a binder and put them all in there at the end of the day. The teller supervisor can then make sure everyone's count is in there. Probably wouldn't take too much time to cover yourself.

Sorry-going on a tangent

Return to Top
#723153 - 04/27/07 02:54 PM Re: Cash Count Records Countess Kiwi
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We hold our cash count slips for three months. They are rpinted daily (our software cannot maintain them), and them verified and proofed by the closer in charge.

The only reason that we maintin them is that once in a great while, something pops up from the backroom showing that the teller possibly did not balance afterall, so it is a nice go to for us to have to see what the cash count was that day.

Keep in mind, the tellers do always realize what goes on behind the scenes, and do not realize the value of the slips. I would confer with your supervisors, and backroom support, and see if and how they would use them. If they have no use for the slips, and the branch staffs cannot see a point for them either, then perhaps it is time to try a change!

Return to Top
#727247 - 05/04/07 09:06 PM Re: Cash Count Records #Just Jay
D Gem Offline
New Poster
10000 Lakes
Not sure what Midwest state you are from but,

Minnesota Bankers Association Retention Manual states

Tellers' Proof Sheets (Recap used to balance cash on hand) has a one year retention.

Return to Top
#733927 - 05/16/07 11:58 PM Re: Cash Count Records D Gem
momof4! Offline
New Poster
Teller journal retention at our institution (in VA) is 1 year. I don't believe that a record of the actual denominations counted would truly be needed. I came from an institution that did not use cash in/out counters or lists in the teller system therefore they were never printed. If the amount I count balances to what the system says I have then I balance....period! If it is all 20's or even all pennies, it should not matter. You mention that your new software records the tellers cash count. If the software is retaining the information for the necessary retention time I see no problem. Our monthly drawer audits are completed on paper and are retained with the branch's monthly audit package.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z