Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#736260 - 05/18/07 07:53 PM CTR and expired DL
joeball Offline
100 Club
joeball
Bluegrass State
A customer came in to cash a check and was receiving over $10,000 back in cash. When completing the CTR the DL the customer gave the teller had expired. The CTR does not have a place for an expiration date and the instructions only mention an official document.

Would this be acceptable ID for CTR purposes?

Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#736270 - 05/18/07 07:58 PM Re: CTR and expired DL joeball
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I don't believe so because it was not a valid ID.

Return to Top
#736337 - 05/18/07 08:24 PM Re: CTR and expired DL Sing A Little
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Would you accept an expired DL for purposes of ID when cashing a check for a non-customer? If not, you should not accept it for purposes of checking ID for a CTR.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#736354 - 05/18/07 08:30 PM Re: CTR and expired DL John Burnett
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
John is correct - the instructions indicate that:

Acceptable forms of identification include a driver’s license, military and military/dependent identification cards, passport, state issued identification card, cedular card (foreign), non-resident alien identification cards, or any other identification document or documents, which contain name and preferably address and a photograph and are normally acceptable by financial institutions as a means of identification when cashing checks for persons other than established customers.

Unlike the CIP regulations, there is no mention that the identification document has not be "unexpired".

Return to Top
#736578 - 05/18/07 11:41 PM Re: CTR and expired DL joeball
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
When BSA usually uses an adjective like "physical" in connection with an address or "unexpired" in connection with identification, but doesn't repeat it at every opportunity such as in wire transfer record retention or CTR completion respectively, I suggest you assume the missing adjective. Any other decision may cause you to waste some time down the road.

Expecting someone who probably drove to the bank to have a valid driver's license does not impose much of a burden.

Return to Top
#736633 - 05/21/07 05:43 AM Re: CTR and expired DL joeball
Titanic Offline
Gold Star
Titanic
My Workplace
Originally Posted By: joeball
A customer came in to cash a check

Is the person a "Customer or NON-Customer"

If a customer, then is a matter of matching the information present to cash the check against the information presented at the account opening.

If a non-customer, then I have to agree with the rest of the posters. A valid ID is "preferable"...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z