Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#7379 - 12/03/01 08:33 PM Skip Tracing
PBM Offline
PBM
Wisconsin
I'm looking for effective ways to locate people who owe my company money and would rather not be found. If any one can suggest things that have worked for them (other then credit reports which we use) as well as how to contact the organization and the costs involved I would really appreciate some input.

------------------
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#7380 - 12/03/01 10:13 PM Re: Skip Tracing
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I believe ChexSystems offers a service. If the individual you are looking for should try to open an account with an institution which utilizes ChexSystems, they are able to skip trace.

Return to Top
#7381 - 12/03/01 10:27 PM Re: Skip Tracing
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
If you haven't had a mail return, send a certified letter return receipt requested. This will show any forwarding address.

Believe it or not, check with information for a new telephone listing.

People at the borrowers work generally know something about where someone went. Ask them. Generally, all you have to say is Gee! I just found out XXX is no longer here do you know how I can get in touch with them? Many won't even ask who you are.

Same thing with neighbors.I usually opened with Hi, I'm Mr XXX and I'm preparing a confidential report on XXX can you confirm they lived at XXX. Stop and wait for a response. Don't ask more than you need to. 2nd question - About how long have they been gone - Do you know where the moved to.

Call landlords, apt managers. and local creditors, as they are probably looking, or have found them. Big lenders probably won't share information as everything is automated on computers these days, but the smaller ones will.

Check with local businesses in the neighborhood the borrower may have used.

Even if these folks don't have a current address, they may be able to pass on some information that will assist in finding them. Plus you will be amazed at what people will tell you.

Will they share? you won't know until you ask? Remember they are not subject to GLB and people generally want to help. In 30 years of collecting money I can count on one hand the number of people that told me to get lost.

Report the loan as a "SKIP" on the credit bureau. Don't just wait for it to show up as past due. Some agencies have programs in place that will notify you of any inquiries they receive which may have a new address.

If its a car loan and they have insurance call the insurance company and see if they have a new address.

Assign it to a reputable repo agency. Many also skip trace. Check the yellow pages.

Depending on the dollar amount and other legalities, get a judgement in Small Claims count. Its inexpensive, and often you will hear from the borrower as they need to get it cleared up in order to buy a home or something else they want.

If the loan is being charged to loss, you can always assign it to a collection agency. They will do all of the above and more. Plus the bank is not involved in the process. Getting back 50% or more is better than not recovering anything. Make sure you read and understand their contract throughly.

Skip Tracing is an art and the biggest obsticle is getting over a reluctance to ask questions of strangers.

Return to Top