Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#740168 - 05/24/07 11:27 PM Do You Remember These?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
http://oldfortyfives.com/DYRT.htm

Turn your volume up and enjoy!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#740198 - 05/25/07 02:50 AM Re: Do You Remember These? Fraudman CFCI
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Oh my gosh, I remember sitting at the corner drug store reading Veronica and Archie comics. And 45's, yes Gene Pitney. Have I dated myself enough? And the song about the car crash, 1965, can't remember the lyrics right now since my kid is playing some rap [censored]. Thanks for the memories. PS, I'm not old.
Do you remember those little wax bottles filled with a sweet drink?, little "buttons" on paper? Wax Lips that you could chew on? Soda fountains? Kids today will never know those great times. I could go on and on. Dr. Kildare, and who was the other Dr on TV?,not Marcus Welby. "Drive your Chevrolet across the USA",(Sunday night) Oprah and Gail just did that. Kids on this will never understand what I am saying.

Return to Top
#740230 - 05/25/07 12:32 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Dr. Ben Casey.

I would walk the mile down Central Ave to the Polk Bros. store every week and check out their selection of 45s. In the year 2525, by the Amboy Dukes. Was that the bank Ted Nugent got started in?

Candy lipsticks were my favorites. And the afre flying saucers with the beads of sugar candy inside. Penny candy actually was a penny, but for a nickel, you could get a large slab of taffy. Reese's peanut butter cups were a nickel too, but back then I was more into sugar than chocolate.

Return to Top
#740244 - 05/25/07 12:45 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
when i was little, i used to sneak my dad's 45s into my bedroom, and play them on my portable turntable. (i'm sure he knew...) my favs included

-hello mudda, hello fadda
-beep beep (that nash rambler song)

Return to Top
#740245 - 05/25/07 12:48 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I remember my Dad taking me to the soda fountain in the local drug store (there were actually three drug stores within a block of each other and I think 2 had soda fountains) for a REAL cherry Coke. I also remember the display cases of hot roasted nuts in the drug store and department store and the mechanical horse that cost a nickle to ride. I think Hershey bars were a dime back then.....

Return to Top
#740249 - 05/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky
"and the song about the car crash, 1965"

Can't remember all the lyrics, but the chorus was

Oh where, oh where can by baby be
The Lord took her away from me
She's gone to heaven so I got to be good
So I can see my baby when I leave this world

Course now this song will be stuck in my head all day.

Return to Top
#740260 - 05/25/07 01:02 PM Re: Do You Remember These? KYAuditor
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Blame it on my big cousin Linda, she started me with listening and dancing to 45s with Sherry Baby by the 4 Seasons. She named her first daughter Cherise, Sherry for short, who I babysat.

Mom and I would walk each week to Belmont and Central to shop for stuff like shampoo and band aids. We would stop at the Kresge's 5 and dime (forerunner of K-Mart) where she would get a cup of coffee before the long walk home. They would serve the cream in a little glass that looked like a mini-milk can. Real cream, not that skim milk I drink now! Ma would only use half of it, so I got to drink the rest. Yum!

Return to Top
#740262 - 05/25/07 01:09 PM Re: Do You Remember These? KYAuditor
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: KYAuditor

that's Last Kiss. and I only know because Pearl Jam covered it.

Return to Top
#740265 - 05/25/07 01:11 PM Re: Do You Remember These? A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Why am I thinking of 8-tracks?...

Return to Top
#740271 - 05/25/07 01:30 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Retired DQ
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
I remember going to JC Penney and watching the clerk put the money into a plastic bottle, then into a chute where air pressure would take the bottle upstairs. A minute later, the bottle would return with the change.

I remember my mom doing housework while listening to soap operas on the radio.

I remember going to the A&W and buying a half gallon of Carnation Vanilla Ice Cream and a gallon of root beer that they put into a glass bottle.

I just got an email announcing my 40th high school reunion will be held this year.

Damn!!!

Return to Top
#740275 - 05/25/07 01:34 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: tahdah
Oh my gosh, I remember sitting at the corner drug store reading Veronica and Archie comics. And 45's, yes Gene Pitney. Have I dated myself enough? And the song about the car crash, 1965, can't remember the lyrics right now since my kid is playing some rap [censored]. Thanks for the memories. PS, I'm not old.
Do you remember those little wax bottles filled with a sweet drink?, little "buttons" on paper? Wax Lips that you could chew on? Soda fountains? Kids today will never know those great times. I could go on and on. Dr. Kildare, and who was the other Dr on TV?,not Marcus Welby. "Drive your Chevrolet across the USA",(Sunday night) Oprah and Gail just did that. Kids on this will never understand what I am saying.

We had a drug store about two blocks away. At the soda fountain they actually mixed your Coke for you - syrup and seltzer separately. They also had two telephone booth in the store. Almost every corner had it's own grocery store. Everyone within at least a 5 block radius knew who you were. Woolworth's was our 5 and dime. If you were going to the shopping district - you said you were 'Going to the Avenue'. My aunt still lives there and they still call it the same thing.

The candy was the best - I loved those wax bottles, Tahdah, and the candy buttons. Do you remember Pixie Stix? They were paper straws with flavored sugar inside. Also loved Mallo-Cups - they're like a peanut butter cup but with soft marshmallow inside. They also had a point-coupon in each pack that you saved and if you ever had enough points you could send away for prizes.

Bonanza, The Wonderful World of Disney and Ed Sullivan were Sunday nights. I remember the Beatles first appearance on Sullivan - but me, I'm not old!

Return to Top
#740284 - 05/25/07 01:41 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I had forgotten those little things at JC Penney that took the cash away. No one even uses cash these days.

My grandfather had a gas station with the pop (soda) in bottles sitting in ice in the big red CocaCola cooler. I always got the chocolate pop. And the penny candy.

And I wore the origianl petal pushers and the hose with seams.
I still remember walking down the hall in high school when I was in 7th grade and having one of the senior girls telling me that my seam was crooked. How embaressing.
Am I dating myself

Return to Top
#740288 - 05/25/07 01:47 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Ready to Retire
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
What about crinolins and petty-coats and your first pair of high-heels with a little 1-2" heel for Easter. With new shoes we went out to the sidewalk and rubbed them back and forth to scuff the leather soles so they wouldn't be slippery.

Return to Top
#740296 - 05/25/07 01:55 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
DQ, 8 tracks came after. We are talking early 60s, 8 tracks were late 60s/early 70s.
Kayo was the chocolate pop.

Crinolins scratched!

Return to Top
#740298 - 05/25/07 01:57 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
How about stockings with garter belts (before they were fashionable) and the panty-girdles that we graduated to even when we were all as skinny as sticks.

Return to Top
#740308 - 05/25/07 02:11 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I was only just born, Nanois...

Return to Top
#740320 - 05/25/07 02:20 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Retired DQ
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
DQ, I must be old! There were 78s before there were 45s, but I only remember the 45s. Then, there were 33s, reel to reel, 8 tracks, cassettes, Beta, VHS, CDs, and DVDs. And most are obsolete already!

But the funny part is fashion. Wait long enough and everything comes back! I wore pedal pushers when I was a kid. Now everyone's wearing "capri pants". In high school, I wore tie dyed shirts, midriff tops and hip hugger pants. Now they are called "belly shirts" and "low riders". In college, with the disco craze, platform shoes were all the rage. Gee, look what's back this year? Platform shoes!

Return to Top
#740322 - 05/25/07 02:21 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Retired DQ
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Oh yes, those ugly stockings with garter belts and the panty girdles. You're right Pooh, I was 5'7" and weighed a whole 110 lbs. I needed a panty girdle like I needed a hole in my head. And then came pantyhose when I was in college. What a relief!!!!

And yes those crinolins scratched. I remember they were defined by the number of yards. Mine was a 100 yard crinolin if I remember right.

Return to Top
#740411 - 05/25/07 03:10 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Ready to Retire
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Best times visiting my grandparents in Ft. White, FL and walking down to my Aunt's general store..a real general store (it's actually been moved to an "old" town around Tampa and has been preserved...I'd like to revisit it one day!..anyway, we always got a REAL small bottled coke..the absolute BEST coke EVER! Or an orange drink in the brown bottle...Orange Crush it was! ummmm...and she had the glass fold down doors with those penny candy jars behind them with those good peanut butter logs, taffy, peppermints, those little carmel "bats", brachs carmels...oh, the list could go on and on. Oh, and how could I forget the cake size block of real aged cheddar cheese on the counter just begging for a chunk to be cut off and handed to me...better than cake!)

Used to LOVE candy cigs...don't remember the buttons tho! I think they still have pixie sticks, but maybe a different name, (just like clothes styles now)!

I loved the car wreck song and I remember the Beetles on Ed Sullivan. Still enjoy Bonanza as much now as then and even Leave it to Beaver, My favorite Martian, Lost in Space and all those good ole shows. I wish I still had all those old 45's!
Last edited by joker; 05/25/07 03:11 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#740448 - 05/25/07 03:33 PM Re: Do You Remember These? RR Joker
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Well, I'm really going to tell my age. I worked at a soda fountain when I started college. I worked only on Saturdays - all day - 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. - for $5.00 a day BEFORE taxes and SSA. That paid for my lunches and snacks for the next week at college.

I got bored one afternoon when things were slow behind the fountain and invented the chocolate cherry coke - tastes like a chocolate covered cherry! Doesn't look too good though. But don't knock it until you try it!

Return to Top
#740488 - 05/25/07 03:50 PM Re: Do You Remember These? A_G
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Originally Posted By: KYAuditor

that's Last Kiss. and I only know because Pearl Jam covered it.

This was a song done by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. Check it out.

http://www.jimbowieband.com/Lyrics/last_kiss.htm

The "Cavaliers" played at my parents wedding. Two of the original band memebers are friends of ours.

Return to Top
#740516 - 05/25/07 04:06 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Dlynn58
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Loved that Sunday night line up. And I remember the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. As a kid my neighbors took me to one of their parents houses in Canada and when I used the phone to call home, it was one of those crank up where you got connected to an operator who placed the call for you. Never had seen that in the States.
We also had the first colored TV in the neighborhood.
I remember listening to the radio on Christmas Eve to find out where Santa was.
And I remember where I was when we landed on the moon, making out with some guy in the parking lot of the library.
Watching the Vietnam war everynight on the 6:00 news, Dan Rather.

Return to Top
#740534 - 05/25/07 04:15 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
My Dad listened to the fights on the radio - there was this up and comer you might remember, Cassius Clay? And Edie Adams singing about "cigars, cigarettes, tiparillos?"

Mt. Dew had a hillbilly on the bottle and the commercials went "Ya-hoo! Mountain Dew!"

And Dr. Pepper was good at "10, 2 or 4". If I behaved myself at the bowling alley, Dad would buy me a Dr. Pepper at the end of his second game. (Dad took me to watch while he bowled in a league.)

Return to Top
#740535 - 05/25/07 04:16 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
We had the first black and white TV in our town way back in the 50s. All the neighbors and friends came on Sautrday night to watch the Saturday Night fights.

We actually didn't have a phone until I was 12. Scary huh? Now we have 3 house phones, two cell phones, and the Internet.

I too remember the Beatles on Ed Sullican and I watched Howdy Doody and Sky King on Saturday mornings. And Elvis!!! Swoon!!!!

Return to Top
#740575 - 05/25/07 04:31 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Ready to Retire
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Only one family had a color TV "set", as we called it. When I was in 3rd grade, our class went to the Bozo the Clown show at WGN in Chicago. We were told to wear white shirts and dark skirts; Ma put me in a hunter green dress so she could pick me out of the crowd! Then, all the moms went to the one family's house with the color set and looked for their kids on TV!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3