Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#740577 - 05/25/07 04:32 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Oooh party line phones. Anyone remember those?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#740651 - 05/25/07 05:00 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Oh Yea!! They were awful. We had a very talky neighbor who never gave up the phone line.

Return to Top
#740652 - 05/25/07 05:00 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Party lines, until recently our family cabin in norther mi had to have a party line.
And Dr Pepper, it was never sold in Mi when I was a kid but every summer we'd drive to Fl and we'd buy a bottle when we stopped to get gas in the South.
Sky King, howdie doodie, popeye, Johnny Ginger and Milky the clown (those may have been local), great Saturday Morning shows. Always also watched and met the three stooges (have a signed autograph) and Charlie Chan movies, Shirley Temple ones too.

Return to Top
#740688 - 05/25/07 05:23 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Captain Kangaroo, Rin Tin Tin, Wagon Train. Loved watching the old Shirley Temple movies! My dad would watch the bull fights from Mexico on Saturdays. We were in the Peanut Gallery for a Howdie Doodie show.

We had a party line up until we went on line a few years ago. In our area it was actually a good thing to do - no one else had them anymore, so you got phone service for a lot less than everyone else.

I remember watching the early space flights in school - they would bring a portable TV into the classrooms. Did you have air-raid drills? We would go to the 'cloak room' (where we hung our coats) and crouch down with our faces to the wall.

But the big question: Where were you on 11/22/63 - Since we're all about the same age, I'm sure you all know. Me - 7th grade history class in the middle of a thunderstorm. Everything stopped for days. If I close my eyes, I swear I can see it all again. :-(

Return to Top
#740689 - 05/25/07 05:25 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
The smell of fresh ink from the mimeograph!!

11/22/1963 I was 5 years old at my grandmother's house. She was crying all day.

Return to Top
#740718 - 05/25/07 05:47 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Dlynn58
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
On 11/22/1963 I was a junior in high school and in social studies class. And Pooh, you're right I can still see it all in my mind.

Return to Top
#740734 - 05/25/07 05:55 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Dlynn58
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
The Original Star Trek!

Return to Top
#740736 - 05/25/07 05:56 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Dlynn58
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Dlynn58
The smell of fresh ink from the mimeograph!!

Us late 70's kids can still recallt hat from elementary school in the early 80's still!!!

Loved the feel of the damp paper lifted to my nose as I too a deep, long, intense, strong whiff.....mmmmmmmm.

Heavenly!

Return to Top
#740738 - 05/25/07 05:57 PM Re: Do You Remember These? #Just Jay
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
bbs, was that the beginning of huffing?

Return to Top
#740741 - 05/25/07 05:59 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: tahdah

Do you remember those little wax bottles filled with a sweet drink?, little "buttons" on paper? Wax Lips that you could chew on? Soda fountains? Kids today will never know those great times. I could go on and on.

This website: Candy You Ate as a Kid will really take you down memory lane! I like to give decade assortments as birthday gifts -- its a great bit of nostalgia and really brings to mind one's long lost youth!

Return to Top
#740748 - 05/25/07 06:03 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Nanwa
The Original Star Trek!

Heard on the radio this morning that today is the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars.

Return to Top
#740754 - 05/25/07 06:06 PM Re: Do You Remember These? RebekahL CRCM
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
"...wore matador boots, only Flagg Bros had em, with the Cuban heel, iredescent socks with the same color shirt and a tight pair of chinos. I'd put on my sharkskin jacket, you know the kind with the velvet collar, biddy-bop shades. Oh yes. Took a fresh pack of Luckys and a mint called Sen-sen. My old man's Trojans and his Old Spice after shave. Comb my hair in a pompadour, like the rest of the Romeos wore, a permanent wave, oh yeah, I was keepin' the faith..." Billy Joel

Return to Top
#740763 - 05/25/07 06:12 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I remember getting cans of soda (we call it pop here!) from the cooler at the local Mom and Pop store. I was too young to read, but the can was green and had a palm tree on it - wish I could remember what it was called.....

I also remember the soda machine at the garage where my Dad worked, small glass bottles of Coke, Grape and orange Ne hi that you really had to tug on to get out. The metal lids that you opened with the built in bottle opener, and the wooden crates stacked up next to the machine for the empties.

I was born in 1967, but living in a small rural town, I guess some of these things were around a little longer than in the more metropolitan areas.

Return to Top
#740768 - 05/25/07 06:13 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
CelticsPride Offline
Platinum Poster
CelticsPride
The Boston "Gahden"
Quote:
Mt. Dew had a hillbilly on the bottle and the commercials went "Ya-hoo! Mountain Dew!"

That brings back a memory! I was staying for the Summer in Fairlawn New Jersey and that commercial was all over the radio. We would dive into the pool yelling that tag line. I was seven years old.

BTW: On Sunday nights in Boston, there is a radio show called "The Lost 45's". Plays stuff like Bobby Sherman, the Osmonds, The DeFranco Family. Stuff you would never hear otherwise.

Return to Top
#740777 - 05/25/07 06:19 PM Re: Do You Remember These? CelticsPride
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
West Texas, windmills and small sheds full of glass containers containing acid with a wire to the house; that is how electricity came to the west. I still have one of those large glass jars, shoot we may have to go back to this way of getting electricity when we run out of oil, gas and nuclear fuels

Return to Top
#740865 - 05/25/07 07:01 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Pale Rider
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Summers down the Jersey shore with Kohr Brothers soft ice cream and Mack's Pizza.

Return to Top
#740883 - 05/25/07 07:10 PM Re: Do You Remember These? RR Joker
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: joker
Still enjoy Bonanza as much now as then and even Leave it to Beaver, My favorite Martian, Lost in Space and all those good ole shows.

One of my favorite channels is "TVLand" It's got all the good ole' reruns. I Love Lucy being my favorite, along with The Andy Griffith Show and soo many more......(sighs) I miss those days!!

Return to Top
#740906 - 05/25/07 07:20 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Dlynn58
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
11/22/63 it was Friday, my dads day off. Parents went shopping and left my grandmother with me, I was home sick. Watching a local station that showed old movies when it was interrupted with the "news". Told my parents when they got in (no radios in the car back then because it was an added luxery).

Aah, the smell of mimeograph, loved it.

Return to Top
#740912 - 05/25/07 07:23 PM Re: Do You Remember These? tahdah
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I did not understand death much at that time. (I was 7.) But i understood it much more when Bobby was killed.

Return to Top
#740922 - 05/25/07 07:26 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Snow Bunny
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
stockings with garter belts

I sure wish that they would make a come back, big time.

Return to Top
#740944 - 05/25/07 07:35 PM Re: Do You Remember These? °X°
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: _X_

Now why doesn't that surprise me?:D

Unfortunately, I remember when Bobby died all too well. I was watching coverage of the California primary when it came on. I was a big Kennedy fan at the time. The weekend of his funeral we were at the shore. Sunday morning we were sitting in church. It was so foggy outside you could barely see. The church doors were open and the priest was giving a sermon about the Kennedy's and Martin Luther King. The fog was drifting in through the open doors. It was really eerie.

Return to Top
#740946 - 05/25/07 07:35 PM Re: Do You Remember These? °X°
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA

Women should realize that they are much cooler to wear in the summer than pantyhose.

Return to Top
#740976 - 05/25/07 07:48 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Too time consuming to get on and off.

Return to Top
#740995 - 05/25/07 07:55 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Nanwa
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Nanwa

Women should realize that they are much cooler to wear in the summer than pantyhose.

So, listen up - required summertime attire for all female coolies.

Return to Top
#740998 - 05/25/07 07:56 PM Re: Do You Remember These? Ready to Retire
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: jdh
Too time consuming to get on and off.

That really all depends on the circumstances, sometimes it's not necessary to take them off.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3