Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#742482 - 05/30/07 05:53 PM Lowering Rates on installments
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Good afternoon, Reg. Z stipulates specific disclosures required when increasing the rate on an installment loan. What is required, if anything, when lowering the rate? TY!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#742521 - 05/30/07 06:20 PM Re: Lowering Rates on installments goingtoexperts
Jemele Offline
My understanding is . . . as long as the change benefits the client, redisclosure is not required.

Return to Top
#742844 - 05/30/07 09:44 PM Re: Lowering Rates on installments Jemele
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Refer to ยง226.20(a). If you modify the loan (and don't replace it) no new disclosures are EVER needed - whether benefiting the borrower or not. If you replace the loan with a new loan (a refinance), you must provide all new disclosures.

Return to Top
#742859 - 05/30/07 10:12 PM Re: Lowering Rates on installments David Dickinson
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
If you modify the loan (and don't replace it) no new disclosures are EVER needed....

There are always exceptions in Reg. Z (that's what makes it so much fun!) and the exception here comes from the OSC--Section 226.20(a), Comment #3:
3. Variable rate.
i. ....
ii. Even if it is not accomplished by the cancellation of the old obligation and substitution of a new one, a new transaction subject to new disclosures results if the creditor either:
A. Increases the rate based on a variable-rate feature that was not previously disclosed; or
B. Adds a variable-rate feature to the obligation....

Notice that Subsection ii(B) this rule is triggered by the addition of a VR feature and would apply even if the the resulting VR is lower than the FR it replaces.

Return to Top
#742873 - 05/30/07 10:43 PM Re: Lowering Rates on installments Richard Insley
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
He's right. I should know better than to use words like Never and Always when it comes to regulations. There is ALWAYS an exception.

Return to Top
#742883 - 05/30/07 11:12 PM Re: Lowering Rates on installments David Dickinson
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Thank you so much. Just so I understand, if the rate is lowered on an installment loan (secured or unsecured) after the loan has booked, we would be required to notify the consumer disclosing the information in 220.20(c45)? Does this apply as well to loans in which the rate is lowered under the SCRA provisions?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z