Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#743462 - 05/31/07 04:54 PM I need some advice
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
I posted this in a different forum, but I have had no responses and I know that you guys will at least try to help.

I am doing the job duties that a BSA Officer would do. The old BSA Officer still has that title, but does not do any of the work for BSA. I have been told that I am not ready to have the title. I am ready to do the work, but not have the title? I have been doing this for well over a year and a half and I have been in banking for 4 years. They just made someone an officer who does loans and has no experience whatsoever not even a college education. I have a college degree and they know that I am interested in loans. I was even considered for a loan position before, but a more experienced individual got that job, which is perfectly fine.

I just really need some advice on what I should do?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#743467 - 05/31/07 04:55 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
How long ago was it that you were told that you weren't ready for the title?

Return to Top
#743469 - 05/31/07 04:56 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would be polishing up my resume, right now.

Return to Top
#743470 - 05/31/07 04:56 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Update your resume and start searching for a new job. Good luck.

Return to Top
#743471 - 05/31/07 04:56 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Document that 1 1/2 years of experience on your resume and market it elsewhere -- you'll get the title and probabaly a lot more money.

Return to Top
#743473 - 05/31/07 04:57 PM Re: I need some advice Beige
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: smilin' sunshine
How long ago was it that you were told that you weren't ready for the title?

Shortly after the current BSA Officer said she thought that since I was doing the work I should have the title. She said she was going to tell the right people.

Return to Top
#743483 - 05/31/07 04:59 PM Re: I need some advice Retired DQ
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
I would be polishing up my resume, right now.

DQ, thanks! I have been polishing it up and I have been trying to get it out there as quick as I can.

Return to Top
#743489 - 05/31/07 05:01 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
So the current BSA officer even (supposedly) told Management that you should have the title?

Buh Bye!!!

Return to Top
#743493 - 05/31/07 05:02 PM Re: I need some advice Beige
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
So the current BSA officer even (supposedly) told Management that you should have the title?

Buh Bye!!!

Supposedly she said she was going to do that. What do you think?

Return to Top
#743495 - 05/31/07 05:02 PM Re: I need some advice Beige
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
I agree with everyone else. Run, don't walk, to a new job. Something similar happened to me once, and it won't get better. Good luck to you!!

Return to Top
#743499 - 05/31/07 05:03 PM Re: I need some advice Sandy Beech
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
BSAF...time to get out...
I'm supposed to have an interview myself today

Return to Top
#743505 - 05/31/07 05:06 PM Re: I need some advice Imagine
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
BSAF...time to get out...
I'm supposed to have an interview myself today

It probably won't get any better will it?

Return to Top
#743507 - 05/31/07 05:06 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Originally Posted By: BSAFrustration

Buh Bye!!!

If you realy like the company you're currently woring for, it might be a good idea for you to go directly to the "right people". Have your game plan ready, a list of what the BSA responsibilities are and which of those you are currently doing. If it's every last one of them - super sweet!

If you don't like where you are - don't waste your time!

Return to Top
#743518 - 05/31/07 05:09 PM Re: I need some advice Beige
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star

Buh Bye!!!

If you realy like the company you're currently woring for, it might be a good idea for you to go directly to the "right people". Have your game plan ready, a list of what the BSA responsibilities are and which of those you are currently doing. If it's every last one of them - super sweet!

If you don't like where you are - don't waste your time!

I'm pretty sure the "right people" know that I am doing the work. I am the one that is doing the training for the employees!

Return to Top
#743526 - 05/31/07 05:14 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
See, I knew that you guys and gals would help me out. Thanks!

Return to Top
#743527 - 05/31/07 05:15 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I have to agree with everyone. In my previous life, I was managing 25 people but I would not get the manager title until I did the job for a year...then I could no longer attend management training sessions due to the lack of title, then a consultant basically told me they were setting me up to fail by not giving me the title that went with the responibilities.

Ultimately I got laid off and never got the title. Loyalty to a company these days is wasted time. Go somewhere new where you can start with the title and advance from there!

Return to Top
#743536 - 05/31/07 05:17 PM Re: I need some advice Comp Guy No More
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
I have to agree with everyone. In my previous life, I was managing 25 people but I would not get the manager title until I did the job for a year...then I could no longer attend management training sessions due to the lack of title, then a consultant basically told me they were setting me up to fail by not giving me the title that went with the responibilities.

Ultimately I got laid off and never got the title. Loyalty to a company these days is wasted time. Go somewhere new where you can start with the title and advance from there!

Basically they phased you out? I was beginning to think that they had someone here that they want to have this position, but I do my job well and they can't find anything to get me out. I don't know. Frustrating!

Return to Top
#743600 - 05/31/07 05:46 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy

Basically they phased you out? I was beginning to think that they had someone here that they want to have this position, but I do my job well and they can't find anything to get me out. I don't know. Frustrating!

Basically, yes. Certainly, if this is your first company, move on. It's so hard to advance beyond a certain point until the top brass changes. I started as a CSR and that's what I was seen as for a long time after I had advanced. I didn't get a job as a CS Manager because "I was too concerned with having happy employees" Hello!!! A happy CSR is a great CSR.

Anyway, thank your current company for the experience and find a new company to take you to the next level.

Return to Top
#743611 - 05/31/07 05:52 PM Re: I need some advice Comp Guy No More
i*sam Offline
100 Club
i*sam
Southern California
It may be that management doesn't want to be scruntinized by their regulator for having a underexperienced BSA Officer (reference the BSA manaual and what it says about the BSA Officer). If so, that is a valid concern, but the regualtors would probably be comfortable with you in that role if you were given enough training and considering your experience.

I was in the same boat in a way...I was actually hired as the BSA Officer for my old bank with virtually no experience (some teller and internal audit). But, I showed I was sharp, management sent me to training and BSA seminars, and the regulators were confident I could do the job (and I WAS!). If you think you might leave anyway, try talking to your managers about their decisions and what I mention here. See what happens!

Return to Top
#743686 - 05/31/07 06:26 PM Re: I need some advice i*sam
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
If you like where you are and you are sure the "right people" are aware that you have been doing the job of a BSA, have you considered having a meeting wtih the "right people" to ask them why they do not think you are ready for the job? I agree with taking a look at the requirements of a BSA officer and how it relates to your current role. Take that to your meeting to prove your point. You could do this as you are updating your resume and looking for a new career. Good luck!

Return to Top
#743705 - 05/31/07 06:29 PM Re: I need some advice i*sam
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: i*sam
It may be that management doesn't want to be scruntinized by their regulator for having a underexperienced BSA Officer (reference the BSA manaual and what it says about the BSA Officer). If so, that is a valid concern, but the regualtors would probably be comfortable with you in that role if you were given enough training and considering your experience.

I was in the same boat in a way...I was actually hired as the BSA Officer for my old bank with virtually no experience (some teller and internal audit). But, I showed I was sharp, management sent me to training and BSA seminars, and the regulators were confident I could do the job (and I WAS!). If you think you might leave anyway, try talking to your managers about their decisions and what I mention here. See what happens!

I have been to a compliance school in Memphis and I try to hit all the trainings the BOL has to offer, plus I am working on getting certified in BSA, but they frowned at the idea of having to purchase a book for $300.00 to be able to get the test. Strange?

Return to Top
#743708 - 05/31/07 06:30 PM Re: I need some advice anon2006
Seeker Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: QueenBee
If you like where you are and you are sure the "right people" are aware that you have been doing the job of a BSA, have you considered having a meeting wtih the "right people" to ask them why they do not think you are ready for the job? I agree with taking a look at the requirements of a BSA officer and how it relates to your current role. Take that to your meeting to prove your point. You could do this as you are updating your resume and looking for a new career. Good luck!

Some companies have a way for you to request a desk audit or job assessment from the HR or Process Engineering depts. Also, if you would have had a promotion or raise that is lacking due to their inaction, it may be an HR issue.

Return to Top
#743727 - 05/31/07 06:37 PM Re: I need some advice BSAFrustration
i*sam Offline
100 Club
i*sam
Southern California
You really need BSA specific training... ACAMs offers a BSA conference in July I think, and the ABA's is in October...both are upwards of $1000 to go plus travel expenses. MoneyLaundering.com offers the best there is for mucho mula in about March. Also, check out the West Coast AML forum for events. Personally, I find little value in telephone and web-courses.

Even a seasoned BSA Officer needs continuing BSA education as the laws, best practices, and threats/crimes change. Do you have contact with your assigned regulators? Would it be possible to get a recommendation from them? One thing is, they might know of other banks in your area who need a BSA person and if you manage your relationship with them right, they might give you a nice recommendation (I mean, you wouldn't want to hire a BSA person that the regulators support, especially come exam time!).

Return to Top
#744246 - 06/01/07 01:15 AM Re: I need some advice i*sam
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I wouldn't be too quick to push the panic button. I started handling security and BSA duties in 2001 (little did I know how much BSA would soon change...). I was named Security Officer after about 1 1/2 years, and it was another year after that when I was named BSA Officer.

So it's not necessisarily a reflection on you- perhaps getting to the right level of experience where your board is comfortable with the Officer tag, or getting through an exam or two first is all you need.

Return to Top
#744340 - 06/01/07 01:36 PM Re: I need some advice JacF
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: JacFSB
I wouldn't be too quick to push the panic button. I started handling security and BSA duties in 2001 (little did I know how much BSA would soon change...). I was named Security Officer after about 1 1/2 years, and it was another year after that when I was named BSA Officer.

So it's not necessisarily a reflection on you- perhaps getting to the right level of experience where your board is comfortable with the Officer tag, or getting through an exam or two first is all you need.

That's possible. But the current BSA Officer thought that I was ready to have the title and she said she was going to tell the "powers to be" that I was ready. Nothing has happened so far.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2