Thread Options
#749563 - 06/08/07 03:12 PM Re: Dr. Death Jokerman
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
[quote=Comp Guy
I do agree that assisted suicide should not be more than a last resort for people who have no quality of life and choose to end their days as dignified as possible.

Ok, good. Now, at what point are you ok with a doctor killing someone - how about the logger who amputated his own leg? Is that reason enough - permanent disability?
[/quote]

As I clearly indicated, this should be a last resort for terminal patients with NO quality of life. There is a clear difference between no quality of life and a diminished quality of life. The logger can get a prosthesis and therapy. A patient in a permanent vegatative state cannot get a new brain, body, or therapy.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#749568 - 06/08/07 03:17 PM Re: Dr. Death Comp Guy No More
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i think j's point is that there is a slippery slope.

perm vegatative state is a living will/end treatment decision. assisted suicide is a "do something more" not "discontinue what was being done".

i think that the ethics of the medical community would provide a good framework to assure that AS is only used for the terminally ill and in pain. j essentially posits that since there is no perfect way to guarantee that this isn't abused by "lesser" suicide-worthy events that an absolute prohibition is the best way to go. nothing in society is perfect, j.

Return to Top
#749599 - 06/08/07 03:37 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico

perm vegatative state is a living will/end treatment decision. assisted suicide is a "do something more" not "discontinue what was being done".

i think that the ethics of the medical community would provide a good framework to assure that AS is only used for the terminally ill and in pain. j essentially posits that since there is no perfect way to guarantee that this isn't abused by "lesser" suicide-worthy events that an absolute prohibition is the best way to go. nothing in society is perfect, j.

If you refer to my post from yesterday evening, you will see that the SCOTUS referenced the very fact that just such slipery slopes did in fact come into play, costing the lives of thousands in the Netherlands at the hands of doctors. To presume that it cannot happen here is sheer folly.

Return to Top
#749603 - 06/08/07 03:39 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

If AS is allowed, how do you keep a doctor from making his/her own value judgments on whether a life should be ended?

Return to Top
#749605 - 06/08/07 03:41 PM Re: Dr. Death TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
perhaps those statistics show that there are thousands of people who are living in severe pain with no hope of recovery but yet we have a moral crusade to save them from he!!.

what is the public policy concern to outlaw this practice? the same as or related to the concern of what gay marriage will do to society?

Return to Top
#749606 - 06/08/07 03:41 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I believe it would be up to the patient, not the doctor.

Return to Top
#749607 - 06/08/07 03:42 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw

If AS is allowed, how do you keep a doctor from making his/her own value judgments on whether a life should be ended?

Precisely, this was among the disasters pointed out in the Remmelink Report, and among the factors contributing to the SCOTUS decision in Washinton vs. Glucksberg 1997.

Return to Top
#749609 - 06/08/07 03:43 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
perhaps those statistics show that there are thousands of people who are living in severe pain with no hope of recovery but yet we have a moral crusade to save them from he!!.

what is the public policy concern to outlaw this practice? the same as or related to the concern of what gay marriage will do to society?

Read it again Ron. There was no evidence in thousands of those cases that people were terminal or in unremitting pain. They were killed without controls in place and based uppn the doctors subjective judgment. The doctors became God.

Return to Top
#749611 - 06/08/07 03:45 PM Re: Dr. Death Retired DQ
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

dq, i think the point is that proponents have to satisfy the concerns of those opposed that doctors who agree to this won't take liberties in how broad the circumstances are where they will agree to help.

straw, to answer the question, i think that you have to objectivize the criteria as much as possible. terminal or no hope of recovery and unnecessary suffering. i think you can make those things pretty objective.

Return to Top
#749613 - 06/08/07 03:47 PM Re: Dr. Death TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
There was no evidence in thousands of those cases that people were terminal or in unremitting pain.

i think it's possible to create criteria to account for this though. if there are no lack of controls, create them. i don't think that's impossible to do.

Return to Top
#749616 - 06/08/07 03:49 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

The public policy concern is we do not want others, even medical professionals, ending people's lives. Why bring gay marriage into this?

So Fella has cited Danish studies showing AS in questionable circumstances. Protecting life is a public policy concern and even an atheist can look at this study and say that AS might not be a good thing.

I have said, I have not made up my mind on this, but again, stop demonizing everyone who argues against you.

Return to Top
#749619 - 06/08/07 03:50 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:
There was no evidence in thousands of those cases that people were terminal or in unremitting pain.

i think it's possible to create criteria to account for this though. if there are no lack of controls, create them. i don't think that's impossible to do.

I think we can create some objective criteria, although quality of life is inherently subjective. Additionally, I am not sure what controls could be put in place. Any thoughts on what control might work in these scenarios?

Return to Top
#749622 - 06/08/07 03:52 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Quote:

Ron, the Netherlands had created the controls. The requirements of defining terminal illnes; the necessity of at least two doctors who did not practice together agreeing and showing evidence that each was present when the patient made the request; no hope of recovery, family notification etc.

In spite of these, the doctors played God, because rather than adhering to the Hippocratic Oath, they applied the "Quality of Life Ethic" which is a very subjective standard. Doctor does not believe the patient is worth further medical treatment or palliative care, then do away with them, controls be damned.

Attorney Wesley J. Smith details this and far far more in his landmark book "Culture of Death - The Assault on Medical Ethics in America". As an attorney, you may find this very informative.

Return to Top
#749637 - 06/08/07 04:01 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
The public policy concern is we do not want others, even medical professionals, ending people's lives. Why bring gay marriage into this?

the patient is ending the life. the doctor is merely facilitating it. much like the gun shop owner is facilitating another suicide victim's death. i brought gay marriage up because, just like AS, the rationale for making such a law is what will happen to society if it is allowed.

Quote:
Protecting life is a public policy

that's a very broad public policy. sounds like a general policy. we are talking about a specific, limited set of circumstances.

Quote:
I have said, I have not made up my mind on this, but again, stop demonizing everyone who argues against you

i'm not demonizing, i'm trying to get through to the psychology/motivation behind the arguments.

Return to Top
#749641 - 06/08/07 04:03 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
Additionally, I am not sure what controls could be put in place. Any thoughts on what control might work in these scenarios?

It's legal in Oregon. As you can see below, many of the "controls" in Oregon are carried out and certified by the attending physician. Here are Oregon's controls:

(more information on Oregon's website at: Oregon govt. FAQ on assisted suicide law)

Q: How does a patient get a prescription from a participating physician?

A: The patient must meet certain criteria to be able to request to participate in the Act. Then, the following steps must be fulfilled: 1) the patient must make two oral requests to the attending physician, separated by at least 15 days; 2) the patient must provide a written request to the attending physician, signed in the presence of two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient; 3) the attending physician and a consulting physician must confirm the patient's diagnosis and prognosis; 4) the attending physician and a consulting physician must determine whether the patient is capable of making and communicating health care decisions for him/herself; 5) if either physician believes the patient's judgment is impaired by a psychiatric or psychological disorder (such as depression), the patient must be referred for a psychological examination; 6) the attending physician must inform the patient of feasible alternatives to the Act including comfort care, hospice care, and pain control; 7) the attending physician must request, but may not require, the patient to notify their next-of-kin of the prescription request. A patient can rescind a request at any time and in any manner. The attending physician will also offer the patient an opportunity to rescind his/her request at the end of the 15-day waiting period following the initial request to participate.

Physicians must report all prescriptions for lethal medications to the Department of Human Services, Vital Records. As of 1999, pharmacists must be informed of the prescribed medication's ultimate use.

Return to Top
#749644 - 06/08/07 04:04 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
although quality of life is inherently subjective

true enough. but future prospects and pain are pretty objective.

Quote:
Additionally, I am not sure what controls could be put in place. Any thoughts on what control might work in these scenarios?

future prospects and pain.

Return to Top
#749650 - 06/08/07 04:06 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
And if the motivation is religious in nature, you automatically dismiss it. While you are tyring to get to the psychology, we all clearly know yours.

You further argue there is basically no public policy that would want to prevent people from being killed. While we may want to define this type of killing as an exception to murder, there is clearly public policy implications, whether you choose to acknowledge them or not.

Interesting gun analogy. Does the gun shop owner pull the trigger? If not, the analogy doesn't really hold.

Return to Top
#749651 - 06/08/07 04:06 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
rationale for making such a law is what will happen to society if it is allowed.

Not entirely true. AMLF's point (or at least one of them) is what will happen to specific people (perhaps euthanized against their will) if it is allowed. As the Netherlands study showed (even if its statistics are only half right), this is a very real concern.

Return to Top
#749653 - 06/08/07 04:09 PM Re: Dr. Death TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
In spite of these..

then perhaps this is what needs policing. it's like one argument in the immigration debate: "why do we need all these laws when we should just start enforcing what exists".

if we policed the objective criteria, they wouldn't be able to follow the subjective "quality of life".

Return to Top
#749656 - 06/08/07 04:10 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:
although quality of life is inherently subjective

true enough. but future prospects and pain are pretty objective.

Quote:

future prospects and pain.

THat is only part of the control. By control, it is how would we know the patient wants this?

Then we have to determine eligibility. Prospects and pain aare both subjective i.e. pain threshold varies from person to person.

Prospects are completely subjective, as some who are paralyzed become suicidal and depressed, while others move on with extremely productive lives.

Any other ideas on how we control the process and qualify the individuals?

Return to Top
#749659 - 06/08/07 04:13 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
And if the motivation is religious in nature, you automatically dismiss it.

not so, i just want it on the table so people aren't hiding the ball so to speak. as weird as it may seem, i'm a very religious/spiritual person.

Quote:
You further argue there is basically no public policy that would want to prevent people from being killed

stop saying it this way. i am talking about terminally ill people in pain. the public policy is limited to termianlly ill in pain people in my opinion. this isn't a culture of death.

Quote:
Interesting gun analogy. Does the gun shop owner pull the trigger? If not, the analogy doesn't really hold.

does kevorkian pull the trigger?

the analogy stands.

Return to Top
#749666 - 06/08/07 04:19 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
By control, it is how would we know the patient wants this?

they ask.
Quote:
Prospects and pain aare both subjective

i think prospects are pretty objective. medicine is a science. pain is also something that is tested rather objectively.

Quote:
as some who are paralyzed become suicidal and depressed

those people wouldn't meet the requirements of the test.

Return to Top
#749678 - 06/08/07 04:25 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:
And if the motivation is religious in nature, you automatically dismiss it.

not so, i just want it on the table so people aren't hiding the ball so to speak. as weird as it may seem, i'm a very religious/spiritual person.

Quote:
You further argue there is basically no public policy that would want to prevent people from being killed

stop saying it this way. i am talking about terminally ill people in pain. the public policy is limited to termianlly ill in pain people in my opinion. this isn't a culture of death.

Quote:

does kevorkian pull the trigger?

the analogy stands.

For an ALS patient, I believe he did.

Return to Top
#749689 - 06/08/07 04:29 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
That doesn't follow - if it's only viable in certain circumstances, then there are some situations where it should be prohibited, right? I mean, if a teenage kid wants Kevorkian to inject him because he has acne - should that be a legal act by the doctor?

You certainly are not helping to say that you are one for a logical debate when you continue to throw out a argument like this, especially when no one is even debating something so illogical in the first place. I do not believe that anyone here has advocated for a free for all as you continue to suggest.

No, no one has said that a teenager should be able to legally obtain a physician's "assistance" for their suicide because of acne. No one has said that they shouldn't either. I want to know where you are drawing the line.

Quote:
Me thinks Tom agrees with assisted suicide in certain situations, especially if he was the one in the situation.

Me also thinks that Tom will be damned though if he will admit to it here.

You don't think very clearly, then, because I could not have been less vauge about my opinion on the matter.

Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
As I clearly indicated, this should be a last resort for terminal patients with NO quality of life. There is a clear difference between no quality of life and a diminished quality of life.

Then I don't understand why you support Dr. Kevorkian, who killed patients who weren't terminal, and had were certainly not vegetative. Most of his patients, as I posted previously, suffered from disabilities and depression, not terminal illness.

So, I'm still confused about where you are drawing the line.

j, "because people are killing themselves anyway"...

what does logic tell you about this?

It tells me that you ought to look to the statement that I responded to. Becka appeared to be positing that since people suffering from depression committed traditional suicide, it ought to be ok for a "doctor" to "assist" them.

Return to Top
#749691 - 06/08/07 04:30 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
ok, but did kevorkian decide or was he essentially an attorney-in-fact in that situation. (and i realize that that is effectively like the gun store owner actually shooting the guy buying the gun to commit suicide)

other than the situation where because of pain condition that the person cannot "pull the trigger" themself, isn't this still a matter of the person choosing their own fate?

Return to Top
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9