Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#749981 - 06/08/07 07:24 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Originally Posted By: straw
terminal or no hope of recovery and unnecessary suffering. i think you can make those things pretty objective.

Is this the test?

Terminal I think is objecive. No hope of recovery - what does this mean? Recovery from what?

Objective define unnecessary suffering? Who determines what is necssary and unncessary? The individual. If so, subjective. The legislature? Medical boards?

Pain and suffering and comletely subjective concepts that we attempt to objectify, but they are unmeasurable.

straw, i would think that the medical people and social philosophers can work together to hammer out the details.

Earlier you answered that a paralyzed person would not qualify, which means you have some qualifications in mind. Now, as usual, you will defer to experts.

Does that mean that a paralyzed person could request AS?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#749983 - 06/08/07 07:24 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
ok, j, but unlike you, i think that the person affected means a lot. take a look at roe. is it carte blanche abortions on demand? no, there are limits. here, the limits of what we as a society demand must be subordinated in certain circumstances to the rights of the individual.

What makes your values judgement superior to J's?

Return to Top
#749990 - 06/08/07 07:29 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What the [censored] do you mean by that? That I don't think the person means anything? I think it's pretty easy to argue that I think they mean more than you do. I think it's incredibly wrong headed to say that it's no one else's business whether they live or die. I value people with MS, or with brain damage, or who are paralyzed. I believe that no matter the disability, no matter the disease, no matter the mental state, they have something to contribute to life here.

And, counselor, what limits do Roe and Doe, together, allow to be placed on abortion? Effectively, none - an abortion must be allowed at any time if it determined to be in the best interest of the "mental health" of the mother. Even the recent decision allowing the prohibition of one particularly grotesque procedure will still not allow government to ban all ninth-month abortions. The Court specifically said was only allowing the law to stand because other late-term abortion procedures were still available.

Quote:
here, the limits of what we as a society demand must be subordinated in certain circumstances to the rights of the individual.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Just as I am entitled to mine. Even though [gasp!] mine is informed by ideas about the inherent worth of human beings as children of God and the value of the life He has granted.

Return to Top
#750011 - 06/08/07 07:43 PM Re: Dr. Death Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
unlike you, j, i don't think that i know what is best for everyone.

Quote:
The Court specifically said was only allowing the law to stand because other late-term abortion procedures were still available.

AS laws were upheld today because gun stores and pharmacies are still operating...

i'd rather try to acknowledge reality and make an attempt to help certain people who want to help themselves. rather than trying to find a common ground in the criteria, you and straw will just dig in in some academic exercise and ignore the practical one.

Return to Top
#750062 - 06/08/07 08:15 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
It's not that I think I know what is best for everyone, while you only know what is best for the 99.99% of the population not facing the exceptional conditions in which you would allow "assisted" suicide. It's that I think that life is valuable, no matter who is living it; you think that some lives aren't of the same value, and thus it's ok for doctors to end them.

Return to Top
#750074 - 06/08/07 08:21 PM Re: Dr. Death Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
while you only know what is best for the 99.99% of the population not facing the exceptional conditions in which you would allow "assisted" suicide.

huh?

i'm not sure how allowing some people dignity is degrading life. but right, rather than allow a doctor to help them ease their suffering, let's effectively require them to hang themselves or shoot themselves. much better.

Return to Top
#750101 - 06/08/07 08:32 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
unlike you, j, i don't think that i know what is best for everyone.

Quote:
The Court specifically said was only allowing the law to stand because other late-term abortion procedures were still available.

AS laws were upheld today because gun stores and pharmacies are still operating...

i'd rather try to acknowledge reality and make an attempt to help certain people who want to help themselves. rather than trying to find a common ground in the criteria, you and straw will just dig in in some academic exercise and ignore the practical one.

So, when I try to find common ground in the criteria, you return to experts better capable can decide.

How is this finding common ground in the criteria?

Furthermore, finding common ground in the criteria concedes the point that AS is a grand idea, which I have said I am not sure about. I have not decided if we should allow it or not, and that is why fleshing out the criteria would help.

Instead of doing that, you retreat to I think we do this, but have no idea how ground that you keep going to.

Discussions, arguments, disagreement, communications of any kind, require two people. Two people who actually value each others opinions.

Not sure you value anyone elses, so why should we value yours?

Return to Top
#750110 - 06/08/07 08:36 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Furthermore, finding common ground in the criteria concedes the point that AS is a grand idea, which I have said I am not sure about. I have not decided if we should allow it or not, and that is why fleshing out the criteria would help.

ok, well, while you are trying to decide, people are still going to pharmacies and gun shops.

Quote:

in 2 months time you won't have to worry about the scourge to this board known as Ron Mexico.

Return to Top
#750121 - 06/08/07 08:43 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
hey where do you think you are going?

Return to Top
#750129 - 06/08/07 08:49 PM Re: Dr. Death kms
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
back to school rodney dangerfield-style! i've been practicing my "triple lindy"!

Return to Top
#750138 - 06/08/07 08:52 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
back to school rodney dangerfield-style! i've been practicing my "triple lindy"!

Maybe you will learn something this time.

Return to Top
#750139 - 06/08/07 08:53 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

ok, well, while you are trying to decide, people are still going to pharmacies and gun shops.

Quote:

in 2 months time you won't have to worry about the scourge to this board known as Ron Mexico.

Simply repeating your improper analogies will not make them any more correct.

And as you have said, let's start somewhere.

Return to Top
#750140 - 06/08/07 08:54 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I wish I could go back to school, I would love to be a professional student. Just go to school as a job. See how much stuff I could truly fit into this blond head of mine!!!

Return to Top
#750145 - 06/08/07 09:00 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: straw

Maybe you will learn something this time.

let's hope, straw. :pats head:

Return to Top
#750146 - 06/08/07 09:00 PM Re: Dr. Death straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Simply repeating your improper analogies will not make them any more correct

of course they are. :pats head:

Return to Top
#750164 - 06/08/07 09:18 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Condescension from Ron; how unusual.

Return to Top
#750179 - 06/08/07 09:37 PM Re: Dr. Death Retired DQ
GMgal Offline
New Poster
SW FL
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
I say amen!!! Why is that we treat our dying pets with more dignity than our dying relatives?

I agree 100%!

I also agree 100%

Return to Top
#750262 - 06/09/07 03:09 AM Re: Dr. Death GMgal
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
This thread made me think of this song:

Let Me Go Easy

Come pleasure me again. I'm so tired of digging in.
I've done my share, don't need to win, just let me go easy.
For two years my body fights. At this point it don't seem right.
Just to do it out of spite and keep hanging on.

Go on let me go easy. Won't you let me go easy, you let me go right now.

I see the numbers dwindling, of my enemies and my friends.
And still I know it never ends, so I'm passing you this torch.
Fight the greed and the federals. Fight the need and the toxic spills.
Drink from that wishing well, but may it never quench your thirst.

Let me go easy. Go on let me go easy. Won't you let me go easy,you let me go right now.
Let me go easy. Go on let me go easy. Won't you let me go easy,you let me go right now.

So when you get to Ladenville, 'fore the tears the fare thee wells, for a moment stand real still and you'll feel me moving on.
You go ahead with your plans, you won't be seeing me again, but you'll feel me in the hand, the hand that holds the plough.

written by Amy Ray (Indigo Girls) to honor a friend that died after a long struggle with cancer.

Return to Top
#750280 - 06/09/07 04:05 PM Re: Dr. Death Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:
while you only know what is best for the 99.99% of the population not facing the exceptional conditions in which you would allow "assisted" suicide.

huh?

You said that you're only going to allow it in certain circumstances. Circumstances that are, thankfully, very rare. So, you're going to prohibit is for everyone else. Almost as if you know what's best for them. Moralizer.

Return to Top
#750281 - 06/09/07 04:06 PM Re: Dr. Death Becka Marr
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
This thread made me think of this song:

Let Me Go Easy

Letting go is not the same as being sent off.

Return to Top
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9