Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#746755 - 06/05/07 05:40 PM How did you share your pregnancy news?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
My girlfriend just found out she's preggers and wants to come up with a creative way to tell her hubby and her parents. This is their first baby and the first grandchild. However, she wants to stay away from the trite "Father's Day" concept. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone want to share their stories on how they broke the good news?

Return to Top
#746763 - 06/05/07 05:43 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? someone else
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
She should buy him a crying baby doll and say, "Start learning to change diapers, because I'm not getting up in the middle of the night." (jokingly, of course)

Return to Top
#746780 - 06/05/07 05:49 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? someone else
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We were handed a Christmas 'wish' list while my son said "You always complain you never get these early enough to shop the sales!" The list read "crib; diapers; bibs" etc.

But then he's quite creative. He proposed at Damon's when you could play that trivia game on the big screen tv's they have there. The question popped up "D____, will you marry me?" Good thing he'd convinced her to have dessert and play another round!

Return to Top
#746876 - 06/05/07 06:28 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Truffle Royale
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

How about skywriting???

Return to Top
#746885 - 06/05/07 06:34 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Retired DQ
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

How about skywriting???

They still do that?

Return to Top
#746950 - 06/05/07 07:02 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? BSAFrustration
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#747012 - 06/05/07 07:26 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Retired DQ
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
How did you make up those web pages so fast DQ?
Last edited by BSAFrustration; 06/05/07 07:26 PM.

Return to Top
#747077 - 06/05/07 08:01 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? someone else
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
My girlfriend just found out she's preggers and wants to come up with a creative way to tell her hubby and her parents.

When I first read this, I thought I was watching an episode of Jerry Springer...then I realized that this was posted by a female.

Why the need for something creative? If it is their first, it will be memorable, regardless...

Return to Top
#747096 - 06/05/07 08:07 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? HappyGilmore
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
That's just the kind of person she is. She's very excited about this and really wants to do something special.

How did your wife tell YOU the good news?

Return to Top
#747148 - 06/05/07 08:28 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? someone else
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
first one...crying...

2nd one (10 years later)...crying

Return to Top
#747154 - 06/05/07 08:30 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? HappyGilmore
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Originally Posted By: happygilmore
first one...crying...

2nd one (10 years later)...crying

She was crying? Or you were? LOL!!

Return to Top
#747198 - 06/05/07 08:54 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? someone else
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Pregnancy #1 - DH - called him and said "You aren't going to believe this." My parents - got them a cake that read "Congratulations Nana & Granddad"; my ILs - gave them little gift boxes that said "Congratulations Grandma" and "Congratulations Grandpa." (Told my parents on my birthday and ILs right before Christmas, so those methods were appropriate.)

Pregnancy #2 - DH - Announced "HOORAY, we're pg again!" after getting BFP. Both sets of parents - sent them a photo calendar that had cute pictures of DD for each month, except my due date month, which was a sonogram picture with the due date for DS. I made the calendars on Shutterfly, super easy.

Return to Top
#747230 - 06/05/07 09:16 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? E.E.G.B
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
When I was in college, my brother got married, and about a year or so later, they called to tell me I was going to be an "auntie". I got all excited, but then they explained they were adopting a dog from the shelter. LOLoad. A few months later, they called and told me, "Guess what, you're going to be an auntie!" Not falling for it at all, not even batting an eyelash, I replied, "Wow, you guys are getting ANOTHER dog?" There was a really long silence, then she started laughing and says, "Um, no... we're pregnant!!!"

A friend of mine got copies of the ultrasound photo and put them into 2 greeting cards to her and her hubby's parents. She wrote, "You probably can't see just yet that he has your nose and mom's ears, but you will in 5 months!" or something like that. It was very cute and well received by the grandparents-to-be.

Congratulations!

Return to Top
#747363 - 06/06/07 10:33 AM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? BSAFrustration
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: BSAFrustration
How did you make up those web pages so fast DQ?

Return to Top
#747690 - 06/06/07 03:29 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Retired DQ
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Going to be first time Grandma in December I was working on a cross-stitch bib for a friend when they were over at our house one Sunday and they told me I was going to need to do a lot more bibs and pictures - - - - for my own grandchild!!!! They bought a pink baby bib and wrote "Big Sister" on it for their dog to wear at her parents house to let her family know that she is pregnant.

Return to Top
#747781 - 06/06/07 04:14 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? corkygirl
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Wrap up a baby rattle or a binky and give it to them. When they unwrap the gift, they will get the idea. Congrats to your friend!

Return to Top
#747835 - 06/06/07 04:37 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Nanwa
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
My daughter-in-law who is a great cook made cut-out sugar cookies of baby buggies and baby bottles, etc. and gave them to us. My husband and I both ate one before we realized what we were eating. Everyone got a good laugh out of that.

Return to Top
#747950 - 06/06/07 05:36 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Ready to Retire
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
After we had been married, my Mom started saving silver half dollars (the pure silver and silver clad ones) to buy our first child a crib. It took 5 years for us to conceive and when the time came to tell my parents I asked her if she was ready to turn in those half dollar coins she had been saving.

After resigning ourselves to the fact that we would likely only have one child after another 5 years of trying, we were surprised to find out our son was on the way. I told my Mom and Dad that my wife had a medical condition that we needed to tell them about. In hindsight that was not the smartest thing to do as I could tell by the looks on their faces they assumed the worst and I quickly had to blurt out that we were expecting!

Return to Top
#748191 - 06/06/07 07:26 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? thomasj
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
I just called my husband and told him... nothing exciting. We were going to wait to tell our parents in a fun way, but I just couldn't wait.

My friend just left a positive pregnancy test on the bathroom counter, so when he got out of the shower in the morning, he saw it sitting there...

Return to Top
#748212 - 06/06/07 07:40 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? MelissaAnn
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
My wife and I were both off from work and my wife went to the bathroom and comes out and says "You're going to be a Daddy." I just said "What?". Then she showed me the test and I said just let it sit there a while and we will look at it later. We looked at it later and it still said positive. I even looked at it the next morning to make sure it was not a dream! We went and told her mom and dad and her mom said "Oh, No!"

Return to Top
#748369 - 06/06/07 09:24 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? BSAFrustration
WesMantooth Offline
Gold Star
WesMantooth
San Diego
Not to hijack this thread, but as some of you may recall my wife had a miscarriage in March. It was very disappointing and heartbreaking for everyone we had told. How long do you all suggest to wait to tell friends and family that you are pregnant. After you see the hearbeat? After you find out the sex?

Return to Top
#748400 - 06/06/07 10:02 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? WesMantooth
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I've miscarried twice myself, Wes, and I personally would wait until at least 2 weeks into the second trimester before telling anyone (if I ever conceive again), because I don't want to repeat the heartbreak of sharing the happy news followed by breaking the sad news with/to anyone, again. I'm so very sorry for you and your wife's loss, Wes. My prayers are with you both that you can find peace and remember your lost child always.

Return to Top
#748403 - 06/06/07 10:07 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? BurntSienna
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
When my mom was pregnant with my lil sis she got everyone a little baby type gift and when they opened it she told them (silver rattle, spoon, cup, etc.)

Return to Top
#748449 - 06/06/07 10:59 PM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? Mrs. Rizzo
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
After years of infertility, we were camping in NC. I bought a pregnancy test and my husband said, why are you setting yourself up for dissapointment? I went to the showers, did the test and came back crying. He said, I told you not to get your hope up. After I told him it was positive, he was speechless. We took down the tent and never said a word for about an hour. Then we stopped and called his parents, told them they were going to be grandparents and they thought we were talking about out cat!
My thought, after all the infertility, just blurt it out. The occasion is special enough without trying to find any other way to say it. This is not a "Hallmark" moment.
Last edited by tahdah; 06/06/07 10:59 PM.
Return to Top
#748483 - 06/07/07 01:54 AM Re: How did you share your pregnancy news? tahdah
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
After 5 years of infertility, I simply didn't want to take another pregnancy test and go through the heartache yet again. When I finally did take it, I had myself so set up for a negative result that I completely forgot how to read the dumb thing. I'll never forget taking the stick to my husband, who was brushing his teeth at the time, and asking "does this look like a plus sign to you?" His incredulous, foamy-mouthed "uh huh!" will forever live in my memory.

We told our families by phone (they live two states away) by simply saying we were going to have an addition to our family. His folks thought we'd gotten another dog! We told some friends that the "tin roof rusted". (The B-52's song "Love Shack" has this phrase in it). We really thought they'd get it, but the blank look told us we had to be a bit more explicit. After five years, nobody wanted to make any hasty assumptions, I guess! That was just about a year ago -- our precious son is 4 months old now!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett