Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#749038 - 06/07/07 07:30 PM Renew Consumer Loan by Modification
Wiqit Offline
Can the bank renew a consumer loan secured by real estate that has matured with a balloon payment by completing a modification agreement or must we originate a new loan?

The modified terms will affect the payment and the interest rate and do not positively affect the consumer.

I appreciate any help! Thank you!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#749235 - 06/07/07 10:26 PM Re: Renew Consumer Loan by Modification Wiqit
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
There might be a state law issue, but federal regulations don't care if the loan has matured or not. Whether it positively affects the customer or not, is of no concern.

Refer to ยง226.20(a) for help with Reg Z on this issue. RESPA and HMDA line up the same as well.

Return to Top
#749261 - 06/07/07 11:09 PM Re: Renew Consumer Loan by Modification David Dickinson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Hmmm... If the loan has matured - isn't that loan extinguished and would not this be considered a refinancing??? It might depend on State law as David alluded too.

Return to Top
#749674 - 06/08/07 04:23 PM Re: Renew Consumer Loan by Modification rlcarey
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
What . . . you've never heard of back dating an extension agreement to make it look like it happened before the loan actually matured?!?

Randy's the attorney. I just play one on TV. I think his first sentence is worth looking into.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z