Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#749076 - 06/07/07 07:53 PM Documentation of Reference Checks & Degrees
hawksfan Offline
100 Club
Iowa/Illinois
Just curious if other banks are verifying potential employees references. Are you verifying that individuals did actually receive the degrees from the colleges or universities that they say they did? Thanks for your input!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#749179 - 06/07/07 09:06 PM Re: Documentation of Reference Checks & Degrees hawksfan
hrlady Offline
100 Club
In a word .. Yes. Falsifying an application is grounds for dismissal if discovered after hire. We would also rescind any offers made if applicants were less than truthful on their application. That is way it is critical to have applicants actually complete an application. It becomes a legal document that will generally hold up in court.

Return to Top
#749205 - 06/07/07 09:42 PM Re: Documentation of Reference Checks & Degrees hrlady
hawksfan Offline
100 Club
Iowa/Illinois
I agree with your comments and I will be recommending that they check and document references along with verifying the employee's degree. It just seems strange that we haven't done it all along. We do do criminal and credit checks so at least we have a little assurance in those areas.

Return to Top
#749252 - 06/07/07 10:54 PM Re: Documentation of Reference Checks & Degrees hawksfan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We had an HR Director one time that got caught (and arrested) soliciting a prostitute at BAI school one year in Madison. Management then did a follow-u check on him and found out he lied on his college degrees - he had been with the bank for 10 years. You just never know without checking.

Return to Top
#749293 - 06/08/07 02:55 AM Re: Documentation of Reference Checks & Degrees rlcarey
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
We had an HR Director one time that got caught (and arrested) soliciting a prostitue at BAI school one year in Madison

What happens in Madison apparently doesn't stay in Madison.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry