Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#749208 - 06/07/07 09:47 PM Ciada invasion!!
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Ok, the din from the Ciada in this area is incredible!!! In some areas I drive thru to get home I have to close the car windows if I want to hear my radio. Who else has been invaded?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#749211 - 06/07/07 09:49 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! corkygirl
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we've only been invaded with illegals...maybe they are eating the cicada's, becuase I' haven't seen or heard any

Return to Top
#749223 - 06/07/07 10:06 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! HappyGilmore
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
We'll be getting ready for the invasion of the fish fly. Slip sliding away! Roads will be like ice by the lake (St Clair and Erie) and outside stairs by the Detroit river will be a slippery mess.

Return to Top
#749226 - 06/07/07 10:12 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! tahdah
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
We're starting to see fireflies, does that count?

Return to Top
#749264 - 06/07/07 11:18 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! homestar
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
we should be getting the cicadas shortly..I used to love them as a child, as an adult, not so much...

Return to Top
#749310 - 06/08/07 10:35 AM Re: Ciada invasion!! kms
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
What are fish flies? Never heardof them.

Ewww... cicadas, I remember when my town was invaded, you couldn't walk anywhere without crunching.

Return to Top
#749340 - 06/08/07 12:25 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Retired DQ
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
In less than a month those wonderful japaneese beetles will be invading my space. I'm armed to the hilt this time around.

Return to Top
#749355 - 06/08/07 12:41 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! tahdah
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Originally Posted By: tahdah
We'll be getting ready for the invasion of the fish fly. Slip sliding away! Roads will be like ice by the lake (St Clair and Erie) and outside stairs by the Detroit river will be a slippery mess.

I remember having to get gas in Hamtramack one year during that time, so gross!!! Steping on hundreds of the nasty little things with every step - car completely covered - windshield wipers before you start driving. Do they still get that bad??

Return to Top
#749357 - 06/08/07 12:42 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! pjs
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Originally Posted By: patrice
In less than a month those wonderful japaneese beetles will be invading my space. I'm armed to the hilt this time around.

Patrice - have you tried Sevin? That stuff is awesome! A beetle bag trap in the neighbors lawn also works great!!

Return to Top
#749374 - 06/08/07 12:59 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Beige
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Prior to just spreading pesticides like Seven around, I would suggest that you do your homework. These chemicals are not as safe for the homeowner, pets, kids, and unintended targets (honey bees, etc.) as the manufacturer would like you to believe. Also if you are in a watershed, it presents increased danger to aquatic life - including permeating the fish that you might eat from a local lake or river.

Return to Top
#749412 - 06/08/07 01:29 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! rlcarey
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Cicadas are harmless noisy little buggers.

Return to Top
#749414 - 06/08/07 01:30 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! rlcarey
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Corky, I'm in Naperville and haven't heard a single one yet -- must be because we have no older trees.

Return to Top
#749428 - 06/08/07 01:39 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! The Incredible ComplyGuy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
They are predicting them on June 16th here in SE WI, give or take a day.

Return to Top
#749448 - 06/08/07 01:51 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! #Just Jay
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Fact: Cicadas are vicious killers that will eat you as if they are out of a horror movie

Fact: Cicadas prey on human children and our pets

Fact: This year, Cicadas will kill more humans than sharks, bears, dogs, gangs, thugs, bankrobbers, snakes, alligators, scorpions, spiders, and skydiving combined!

Fact: Cicadas are seething with a violent and deadly flesh eating bacteria

Q & A

Q: What do Cicadas eat? A: The primary source of Cicadas are children.

Q: Are Cicadas Poisonous? A: Yes, Cicadas possess venomous poison that is injected through a tube known as the “Deadly cicada venom bone” The venom can kill a human being instantly. Back when the Cicadas emerged in 1990, over 3 million Illinoisans died from Cicada venom injections. This included 70,000 stupid brides who planned their outdoor wedding during the invasion of the Cicadas.

Q: How do cicadas reproduce? A: The female injects the eggs into the skin of a human baby. The Cicada eggs hatch and younglings grow inside the child until they hit an age where they can claw their way out of that child. If you do not keep your children away from these monsterous insects your child will become the host of thousands of cicada younglings.

Q: With a little minor surgery and a little makeup can a large Cicada resemble Brad Pitt?

A: Yes, there have been many documented cases of Cicadas being mixed up and thought to be Brad Pitt.

Q: How large are Cicadas? A: Many youngling Cicada are born at the size of 4 feet tall and over 80 lbs. The largest Cicada to date appeared in Chicago back in 1990 and caused several hours of traffic congestion while it searched through cars trying to feed on human children.

Q: Do Cicadas make that buzzing sound you hear to truly attract a Mate?
A: The truth is that sound has been scientifically proven to translate as “Kill the Humans” in Cicadian. When you hear that sounds run indoors and take cover. It means that the killing spree is ready to begin.

Q: How do Cicadas make that loud buzzing noise?

A: The noise originates from their legs as they sharpen the claws used to attack humans when they prepare for their killing spree. As I mentioned in the last anwer, immediately head indoors and look for cover.

Return to Top
#749455 - 06/08/07 01:55 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Comp Guy No More
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LOLoad @ Comp Guy.

Return to Top
#749466 - 06/08/07 02:02 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Retired DQ
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
No cicadas here but the grunion will be running next weekend!

Return to Top
#749473 - 06/08/07 02:11 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! KK
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OK, what is a grunion???

Return to Top
#749478 - 06/08/07 02:14 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Beige
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: smilin' sunshine
Originally Posted By: patrice

Patrice - have you tried Sevin? That stuff is awesome! A beetle bag trap in the neighbors lawn also works great!!

Yes, thanks, I have the beetle traps and I do use some Sevin but just a bit. I can't stand those buggers. Prob my worst kind of bug except for those big black fuzzy spiders.

Return to Top
#749482 - 06/08/07 02:16 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! Retired DQ
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have, by my conservative estimate, 2.3 million cicadas camped right outside my bedroom window, all making as much racket as possible. We've had them for a little over 2 weeks. They are ENORMOUSLY loud. I'm in the SW burbs of Chicago, and they are everywhere. I can't walk from the house to the mailbox without 2 or 3 landing on me or flying into my face or hair. My brothers, out in and near Naperville (less than 35 miles away) have not seen a single cicada. Bizarre!

LOL CompGuy, that was great!

And yes, someone please tell us what on earth is a grunion?

Return to Top
#749484 - 06/08/07 02:22 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! BurntSienna
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
We have, by my conservative estimate, 2.3 million cicadas camped right outside my bedroom window, all making as much racket as possible. We've had them for a little over 2 weeks. They are ENORMOUSLY loud. I'm in the SW burbs of Chicago, and they are everywhere. I can't walk from the house to the mailbox without 2 or 3 landing on me or flying into my face or hair. My brothers, out in and near Naperville (less than 35 miles away) have not seen a single cicada. Bizarre!

LOL CompGuy, that was great!

And yes, someone please tell us what on earth is a grunion?

If you want to really have a good time with those cicadas, find a child between the ages of 6-10 and buy them a tennis racquet. Then pay them to go out and swat the bugs. This game is more fun to watch with girls, because the boys really don't seem to mind the bugs as much.

Return to Top
#749493 - 06/08/07 02:26 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! B_F
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
LOL Bengalsfan, too funny. I'll have to try that with the neighbors' girls.

A teenage relative was at our house on Memorial Day and absolutely horrified his mother by picking one up and calmly eating it... alive. I thought it was pretty hilarious, and I know they're completely harmless to eat, but his mother was SCREAMING and horrified. According to him, they really do taste just like almonds. I'll take his word for it, cuz I'm not trying one. Some teachers at one of the local schools were eating cicadas to raise money for charity - their students paid to see this spectacle. LOL

Return to Top
#749506 - 06/08/07 02:32 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! BurntSienna
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
BS, that is too gross. Ugh!

Return to Top
#749553 - 06/08/07 03:05 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! BurntSienna
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
...My brothers, out in and near Naperville (less than 35 miles away) have not seen a single cicada. Bizarre!...

We here in Naperville pay God to keep them away

Return to Top
#749569 - 06/08/07 03:18 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! corkygirl
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Originally Posted By: corkygirl
Ok, the din from the Ciada in this area is incredible!!! In some areas I drive thru to get home I have to close the car windows if I want to hear my radio. Who else has been invaded?

Gee, Corky, I have barely heard them at all downtown. Not even much in the parks.

Return to Top
#749577 - 06/08/07 03:24 PM Re: Ciada invasion!! The Incredible ComplyGuy
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
...My brothers, out in and near Naperville (less than 35 miles away) have not seen a single cicada. Bizarre!...

We here in Naperville pay God to keep them away

LOLoad!!! Yes, yes, I suppose that would make sense. I tend to think of Naperville as "the town called Perfect" from the Walgreens tv commercials.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2