Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#751 - 02/22/01 02:26 PM Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
Pat Patrick Offline
New Poster
Winston-Salem, NC
If you haven't run the numbers to see if selling credit protection insurance (credit life, A&H, disability or unemployment) on your home equity/home improvement/refi loans will pull you under HOEPA, better do so. Many lenders who aren't covered by HOEPA now are finding that they will be covered if the Fed proposal to change Reg Z/HOEPA coverage -- lowering the APR trigger and including optional credit insurance in the points/fees trigger -- goes through.

(When doing the calc to see if the 8% trigger is tripped, don't overlook that you must deduct the optional credit insurance from the Reg Z Amount Financed as well as add them to the list of fees.)

Comment deadline is March 9.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#752 - 02/22/01 04:19 PM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Pat is right on the money. An examiner with a curious mind tested some files using the current reg and the proposed test. This examiner discovered that banks that have no Section 32 loans under the current rule could have as many as 10% of their loans fall in under the proposed test. Get your comments in!

Return to Top
#753 - 02/23/01 05:09 AM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I think a comment I would like to make is that the 8% trigger is too low for loans that are secured by a secondary lien.

Risk based pricing demands that you increase the rate when the risk is higher. A secondary lien is not as secure a position as a first because of what must happen if you need to foreclose. A senior lienholder can wipe you out in foreclosure unless you want to pony up the money to pay the senior lien. Likewise if you need to foreclose, you are still on the hook for the amount of the senior lien.

To compensate for that risk, a higher interest rate is justified. I think the area that the should have the 8% trigger would be any FIRST LIEN REFINANCES!!!! After all, those can be the most predatory loans of all!!!

Return to Top
#754 - 02/22/01 07:52 PM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
Pat Patrick Offline
New Poster
Winston-Salem, NC
Good point, Bonnie.

Another problem with this proposal is its link with the HMDA/Reg C proposal, where the Fed wants reporting on whether a HMDA application is covered by HOEPA. Since so many activists equate HOEPA-loans to predatory loans, I think bank reputation risk is involved.

Also, while I'm not certain of this, I've seen other bankers assert that privacy issues are at stake with the HOEPA and HMDA proposals: That in rural areas or small towns, where there's not much lending activity, you'll be able to figure out, via matching HMDA LAR data with courthouse records, who the HOEPA loan went to and what the person's APR is.

Return to Top
#755 - 04/12/02 08:45 PM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
KimC Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
Are the proposed revisions to Reg Z final? I read the Fed Reg from 4-9-02 But do not see where they are including the optional credit life and disability insurance under the finance charge. Am I blind or is the issue final? Our insurance vendor is warning us that we will not be able to sell insurance on 2nd mortgages without them becoming HOEPA covered loans. We ran the numbers on a $10,000, 7 year loan the CR and A/H will put it over the 8% trigger.

Return to Top
#756 - 04/15/02 01:36 PM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
The rules are final. Compliance is mandatory October 1, voluntary until then.

Return to Top
#757 - 04/15/02 06:45 PM Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
Does BOL, or any our illustrious members, have an audit worksheet or matrix for performing tests on loans to determine if HOEPA is triggered?

Return to Top
#758 - 04/15/02 07:01 PM Re: Credit Insurance May Pull You Under HOEPA
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Louvera posted one in the Tools section.

http://www.bankersonline.com/tools/tools_lender.html#2
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top