Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#755940 - 06/19/07 05:18 PM Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Interesting concept - I'm not sure if I totally agree with it, but it would be interesting to see what happens in the future

Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics

By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP
Associated Press Writer

June 18, 2007, 2:31 PM EDT

SEATTLE -- When Brian Steik lived on the streets, the government spent tens of thousands of dollars on emergency room visits and other services to keep the alcoholic alive.

Now social-service agencies are conducting an experiment: Offering Steik and dozens of other homeless drinkers subsidized apartments where they can keep boozing at a fraction of the cost.

"The average citizen who hears about this project probably is appalled," said Bill Hobson, executive director of the city's Downtown Emergency Services Center, which constructed the apartments.

"Their concern runs something along these lines: 'Why do I want to spend my tax money on people who are not doing anything to help themselves?' The answer to that is: You're already spending it."

The four-story $11.2 million building is one of few such facilities in the nation. Minneapolis has a similar program.

The Seattle apartments were built with taxpayer and privately donated dollars. The center expects to spend about $11,000 per resident to operate the building each year, less than 10 percent of the money chronic drunks would cost if left on the streets. Preliminary figures suggest the building will pay for itself in less than five years.

Before moving into an apartment, the 40-year-old Steik was a frequent visitor to the Seattle Sobering Center, a nonprofit agency where police bring homeless alcoholics to dry out. He spent 700 nights there in 2 1/2 years.

"I had a place to live every night as long as I was intoxicated enough," Steik said.

At the apartment building, residents pay less than $200 a month in rent and must buy their own alcohol. Seventy-five people live there, with more waiting to get in.

"We need more places like this," said Steik, who lives on disability payments. "I can afford living here, but I can't afford an actual apartment someplace else."

Residents are selected by social-service providers who agree on a list of the worst alcoholics. Once in, they can stay for the rest of their lives as long as they follow a few rules focusing mostly on avoiding violence.

On a recent visit to the building, a big sunny dining room was half-full of residents in various stages of intoxication. The air smelled slightly of alcohol, but there were no cans or bottles around.

Residents usually drink in their small studio apartments. Some have smaller cubicles with three walls and just enough room for a bed, a freestanding closet and a chair.

Some residents say the program has helped cut their drinking in half; one person claims to have quit drinking entirely.

Steik says his drinking hasn't changed that much -- he still consumes a couple of tall six-packs on most days. But he's eating better, watching his health and paying his rent on time every month.

The Metropolitan Improvement District reports alcohol activity on the downtown streets has been cut in half. Human-service agencies report their contact with downtown drunks has been reduced by 56 percent.

But the program still has its skeptics.

Police Sgt. Paul Gracy acknowledges it may save money at the emergency room, but officers continue to pick up drunks all over town.

The 75 residents represent a "minuscule" portion of the alcoholics on the streets, Gracy said. "We still have to deal with these people."

Dr. Michael Copass, chief of emergency services at Harborview Medical Center, thinks the results are worth it.

"Two or three people who were double or triple daily visitors are now down to two or three a week," Copass said. Getting chronic inebriates out of the cold and away from situations where they get beaten up or fall down improves their chances for survival.

A 1999 King County study of 123 chronic public inebriates found they cost government and social-service agencies more than $100,000 per person per year in emergency room costs alone.

Since the apartment building opened in late 2005, preliminary figures show emergency room visits by the worst cases have been cut by more than 90 percent. And use of the Sobering Center has dropped 24 percent.

At least one neighbor, a business called Northwest Trophy, is unhappy about the project, Gracy said. The owners sued unsuccessfully to block its construction and have complained nonstop about noise, litter and trespassing. In April, they announced they were giving up and selling their building.

Marriott Springhill Suites Hotel, another plaintiff in the unsuccessful 2002 lawsuit, has found the reality better than expected.

"They've kept things right. I've been surprised. It keeps people off the streets," Louis Haslett, Springhill's general manager, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Mike Webb, 46, had been living on the streets since arriving in Seattle about five years ago with hopes of working on a fishing boat.

The Marine veteran from Colorado Springs, Colo., survives on disability and whatever he makes as a street musician, playing blues harmonica with a guitar player who also lives at the building.

Webb said he values the family atmosphere in the building and the comfort of knowing that he has a safe place to stay.

"This is actually kind of a gift in a way," he said.

Webb said he still has a few friends on the street -- mostly people who tried the new building but couldn't get comfortable inside.

"Some of the people I know had their chance here and they blew it. They couldn't handle it. They prefer to be out there and that's their choice," Webb said.

Nan Roman, president of the National Alliance to End Homelessness in Washington, D.C., was not surprised at the success of the Seattle project. But she says the issue is more about housing than alcoholism.

In the 1970s, chronic alcoholics could find cheap places to live, but affordable housing has all but disappeared in cities like Seattle.

"Now you need probably $3,000 and a clean credit history and a job just to get in the door," Roman said.
Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#755946 - 06/19/07 05:26 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Beige
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't understand: why they are being rewarded for negative performance/behavior?

Return to Top
#756040 - 06/19/07 05:58 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Retired DQ
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
That's my problem with the program too. The part that makes me wonder is the supposed "savings" on the normal treatment these people need.

The Seattle apartments were built with taxpayer and privately donated dollars. The center expects to spend about $11,000 per resident to operate the building each year, less than 10 percent of the money chronic drunks would cost if left on the streets. Preliminary figures suggest the building will pay for itself in less than five years.

I guess it's kinda of an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality, but I really do wonder how it will work out economically.

HOWEVER - it pi$$es me off that the people that aren't contributing like the rest of us get "perks".

Return to Top
#756049 - 06/19/07 06:02 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Beige
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
We need more places like this," said Steik, who lives on disability payments. "I can afford living here, but I can't afford an actual apartment someplace else."

Quote:
Steik says his drinking hasn't changed that much -- he still consumes a couple of tall six-packs on most days

Hey - here's a thought...quit drinking, get a job, live like most of society...oh, nevermind

Return to Top
#756054 - 06/19/07 06:07 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics HappyGilmore
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
Why drink alone if you can have an apartment building full of drunk friends??

On a serious note, ok - saving tax dollars. Great --but wow. Talk about enabling people

Return to Top
#756055 - 06/19/07 06:08 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics anon2006
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
For real!! Where do I sign up?

Return to Top
#756068 - 06/19/07 06:16 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics ~Special K~
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
only the worst drunks are selected too.. talk about failing all the way around, can't even be a bad enough homeless drunk to get into that place.

I think it is a horrible idea, but hey I guess I don't live there, so I don't know how bad the problem is.

Return to Top
#756092 - 06/19/07 06:26 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics kms
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:
"I had a place to live every night as long as I was intoxicated enough," Steik said.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :crazy

This plan isn't doing anything to solve the problem - it's just trying to hide it from public view.

Return to Top
#756099 - 06/19/07 06:29 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Becka Marr
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
So instead of going to the ER or the shelter, they can drink themselves to death in their apartment.

How about as a condition of living in these subsidized apts, they stay sober? I would have no problem with that.

Return to Top
#756104 - 06/19/07 06:33 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics TB 12
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: sox in '04
How about as a condition of living in these subsidized apts, they stay sober? I would have no problem with that.

I sometimes have a problem with myself staying sober...

Return to Top
#756108 - 06/19/07 06:34 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics TB 12
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
wishful thinkin'...it aint gonna happen!

Return to Top
#756111 - 06/19/07 06:35 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics TB 12
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
So instead of going to the ER or the shelter, they can drink themselves to death in their apartment.

Because when they don't stay sober, they'd be kicked back out on the street and wind up in the ER, etc...

The apartments are a way of conceding defeat - they acknowledge that these people simply will not (or cannot) stop drinking.

Return to Top
#756114 - 06/19/07 06:37 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

I sometimes have a problem with myself staying sober...

Me too...maybe I can apply...cheaper than my mortgage...

Return to Top
#756126 - 06/19/07 06:44 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Retired DQ
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
I don't understand: why they are being rewarded for negative performance/behavior?
training for government work.

Return to Top
#756196 - 06/19/07 07:29 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Blade Scrapper
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only disease you can get yelled at for having: Dammit Otto, you're an alcoholic. Dammit Otto, you have Lupus. One of these doesn't sound right!

--Mitch Hedberg

Return to Top
#756371 - 06/19/07 09:14 PM Re: Apartments Welcome Homeless Alcoholics Comp Guy No More
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
As long as all of these alcoholics don't high five or hug each other everything is fine! LOL

I am blown away by stuff like this, give homes to people who are trying to better themselves! What about all of those people on welfare and in Section 8 housing who are working 2-3 jobs to support their families? Why not give them $200 a month rent.

Return to Top