Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#749677 - 06/08/07 04:24 PM Wish me luck
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
Haven't posted here in awhile, but I am a wreak today, and need to share...
I am going on an interview today, for a job that would be a 40% raise. But it is in a much much larger organization, and involves some travel (15-20%). I love where I work now, and didn't go looking (a co-worker ws asked by a recruiter friend if she knew of anyone whom she respected and was qualified, and she sent it on to me). It is all moving very fast - I just contacted the recruiter on Monday, sent him by resume on Tuesday, and the organization set up an interview on Wednesday. I am the sole breadwinner, and the pay raise would help my family tremedously. The recruiter tells me I am tremendously underpaid (which I kind of knew). I just hate "sneaking" behind my boss's and co-workers back - and I am feeling disloyal. Sorry for rambling - I just needed to say something to someone (even if you are all online).

Return to Top
#749682 - 06/08/07 04:26 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
Good luck! I hope that if you get the position it all works out for you!

Return to Top
#749684 - 06/08/07 04:27 PM Re: Wish me luck JustMe!
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
Thanks. I am actually making myself sick over this. And I ahven't even been offered the job!

Return to Top
#749686 - 06/08/07 04:28 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: pookiesgirl
Haven't posted here in awhile, but I am a wreak today, and need to share...
I am going on an interview today, for a job that would be a 40% raise. But it is in a much much larger organization, and involves some travel (15-20%). I love where I work now, and didn't go looking (a co-worker ws asked by a recruiter friend if she knew of anyone whom she respected and was qualified, and she sent it on to me). It is all moving very fast - I just contacted the recruiter on Monday, sent him by resume on Tuesday, and the organization set up an interview on Wednesday. I am the sole breadwinner, and the pay raise would help my family tremedously. The recruiter tells me I am tremendously underpaid (which I kind of knew). I just hate "sneaking" behind my boss's and co-workers back - and I am feeling disloyal. Sorry for rambling - I just needed to say something to someone (even if you are all online).

Don't feel bad about doing something that will help your family. How long have you been with your present company?
A 40% percent raise is tremendous though.

Return to Top
#749690 - 06/08/07 04:29 PM Re: Wish me luck BSAFrustration
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
3 1/2 years. If it were offered, I think that it is just too much to turn down.

Return to Top
#749695 - 06/08/07 04:32 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
BSAFrustration Offline
Gold Star
If that much of a pay raise was offered to me and I did not think my present employer would match the offer then I know I would leave especially since it would be better for my family.

Return to Top
#749701 - 06/08/07 04:35 PM Re: Wish me luck BSAFrustration
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
I know that they won't match. But again, I am worrying and and acting like an offer has alrady been made.

Return to Top
#749769 - 06/08/07 05:31 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Wait until you hear from the new company, then give your current bank a chance to give you a counter offer. If you are underpaid, it behooves you to try and get as much money you can since you are the one bringing home the paycheck.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#756714 - 06/20/07 02:44 PM Re: Wish me luck *BUSTER*
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
Just an update - interview(s) went well. I was there 2 1/2 hrs! Ended up interviewing with both hiring manager and her boss. Other then hearing from recruiter that hiring manager was very impressed, and hearing from their HR that they will be contacting me shortly, I haven't heard a thing. Its been 1 1/2 weeks. Is this a good sign (if they definitely didn't want me, would I have heard by now), or a bad sign (if they did want me I woukd have heard by now). Or, am I just reading too much into it? Is this a normal timeline (previously, I had always heard back pretty quickly).

Return to Top
#756720 - 06/20/07 02:49 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
They might still be interviewing other canidates, hold tight a little longer.

Return to Top
#756728 - 06/20/07 02:52 PM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
I think it's a good sign that you haven't heard yet. Usually if a candidate isn't a right fit, it's known fairly quickly. I have had the experience it's taken as long as 4 weeks to hear positive feedback. I pray that you recieve good news soon!

Return to Top
#756758 - 06/20/07 03:07 PM Re: Wish me luck mck401
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I interviewed for a position a few years back and got the job, but the process took over 6 weeks. So hang in there!

Return to Top
#756763 - 06/20/07 03:11 PM Re: Wish me luck TINKerBell
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
send a letter to the person who interviewed you, thanking them for the time and letting them know you re very interested in the career opportunity it give you. Don't mention how nice the 40% increase would be

My process took 7 weeks for current job, so don't be discouraged.

Return to Top
#756811 - 06/20/07 03:30 PM Re: Wish me luck HappyGilmore
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
the thank you letter is a must if you want the job--ive sent out 5 thank yous and had all end in offers.

i'd send the thank you and consider yourself still being thought of for the job. they might jsut have internal candidates that they have to interview, even if they dont want them

Return to Top
#756861 - 06/20/07 03:49 PM Re: Wish me luck Dip
pookiesgirl Offline
New York State
Thank you for all your input. I sent out thank yous to all three people I met with immediately. As for internal canidates, they did ask me how I woud deal with internal people who I got the job over. I told them I had to deal with that before, and that the best way I know how is to show them that you are qualified - earn their respect, but at the sane time not to feel "bad" for them.

Return to Top
#759646 - 06/25/07 11:38 AM Re: Wish me luck pookiesgirl
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Any update?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett