Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#753548 - 06/14/07 07:32 PM Pepper spray
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
My sister has a psycho ex boyfriend that is giving her the creeps. I want to order some pepper spray or something similar that she can keep on her keychain and nightstand.

Is it legal to carry pepper spray as long as you don't take it in a Federal building or an airport?

Does anyone have a good source where to buy this or a particular brand or product you would recommend? They don't apparently sell it at Wal-Mart or Target.

Return to Top
#753551 - 06/14/07 07:37 PM Re: Pepper spray 8675309
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
i bought mine online, along with my taser pen (it's also a flashlight). i think if you get the pepper spray strength as opposed to mace or something that is combat strength she will be fine.

Return to Top
#753567 - 06/14/07 07:47 PM Re: Pepper spray Sandy Beech
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
My local hardware store sells it.

Return to Top
#753571 - 06/14/07 07:49 PM Re: Pepper spray Sandy Beech
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
It's ok to carry pepper spray, but you need a permit to carry mace.

Don't carry your pepper spray into the airport, mine was on my key chain and for some stupid reason I brought my keys with me to the airport...I spent a little quality time with security. LOL

I bought mine on-line after a security seminar here at work, I'll get you the info tomorrow.

Return to Top
#753579 - 06/14/07 07:52 PM Re: Pepper spray anon2006
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Some smaller local hardware stores sell it around here, which is where I bought mine. My friend bought hers at a gun shop in her area, because that and the internet were the only places they sold it in her state. Mine's called capsacin, and it's the extracted pepper juice, concentrated a whole bunch. We know it works quite well... because a relative accidentally sprayed himself in the face with it when putting it on his wife's keychain a couple years ago. Poor guy was miserable.

Return to Top
#753581 - 06/14/07 07:53 PM Re: Pepper spray Sandy Beech
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
They sell HALT!, the pepper spray assigned to postal workers at many sports stores. I bought mine a Wheels and Sprockets. It comes in a metal can about 4-5 inches tall.

I had to spritz a dog the other day; we had been biking and stopped to check something when this dog came running out. MOML yelled at it and made threatening noises, and I put my bike between it and me, but it would not back down. So I spritzed it on the nose. The dog immediately lost interest in us, ran back in his yard, and started pawing at his nose. I felt bad, figuring his nose was burning, but I did not want MOML or I to get bit. And it will wear off.

Return to Top
#753730 - 06/14/07 09:17 PM Re: Pepper spray Nanwa
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
They have big one's for hiking and camping in case you run in to a bear. They can be found at outdoor stores or camping places.

Return to Top
#753790 - 06/14/07 10:50 PM Re: Pepper spray Comply 101
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Pepper spray is very effective. I was walking my dog (8 lb chihuchua mix) in my neighbor and a pit bull came out of no where and tried to attack her. I was able to pick her up, but the dog then starting biting my legs and ankles to get to her.

I sprayed the dog in the face with my pepper spray, and was able to get moving back home. I had to spray him a few times, but we made it home in one piece.

Some of the overspray got in my eyes....and burned so bad, but it wore off in a few days.

Return to Top
#755113 - 06/18/07 05:57 PM Re: Pepper spray Sing A Little
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Depending on where you live, pepper spray and stun guns are easy to acquire. I can pick both up at the swap meet. As far as I know, the only restriction is on airplanes and fed buildings. We don't need permits for either, and both are recommended by some communities while walking at night.

Your sister needs to make sure she knows how to use either effectively, and be careful the psycho doesn't overpower her and use them against her.

On a side note, I would suggest self-defense classes as well. If not only for this situation, but to feel confident in tense situations.

Best of luck to your sister. Hope all works out well.

Return to Top
#755151 - 06/18/07 06:30 PM Re: Pepper spray Bacon Boy
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Practice once or twice with the spray, make sure you know by feel that the nozzle is facing the correct way.

Now, this part will sound silly, but it's important. Decide on the distance at which you will fire the mace and stick to it. When the pyscho-ex-bf is walking towards you saying "Baby, I'm sorry, can't we go back to the way we were..." is not the time to decide he's too close.

Return to Top
#755156 - 06/18/07 06:33 PM Re: Pepper spray Hrothgar Geiger
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
My uncle is a cop and he said that is the more important thing about pepper spray. People buy it, but then when it comes time to use it, they don't know how, and either spray themselves, or why they are trying to figure it out, the "bad guy" takes it from them and uses it on them.
So.... BE CAREFUL!

Return to Top
#755288 - 06/18/07 08:05 PM Re: Pepper spray MelissaAnn
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Buy 2. Practice with 1 until it's empty. Carry the 2nd.

Return to Top
#756938 - 06/20/07 04:43 PM Re: Pepper spray Hrothgar Geiger
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
As other posters stated, pepper spray is a good idea. Mace is not. Using mace on someone will land you in front of a judge.

Return to Top
#757034 - 06/20/07 05:43 PM Re: Pepper spray Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

PM me and I'll send you a list of BOLers you can practice on

Return to Top
#757105 - 06/20/07 06:35 PM Re: Pepper spray HappyGilmore
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Thanks everybody for your great advice! The psycho is an attorney so I wanted to be extra cautious.

I ended up ordering the Tri-Pack from safetygearhq.com:
- 2 ounce pepper spray for home use with wall mount
- 1/2 ounce auto visor clip to keep in your vehicle
- 1/2 ounce pepper spray with a quick key release keychain

I also ordered a motion light for her back porch.

Happy - I will tell her she might get some practice in during the Six Flags BOL trip keeping that crazy group in line! ; )

Return to Top
#760561 - 06/26/07 12:52 PM Re: Pepper spray HappyGilmore
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: happygilmore
Quote:

PM me and I'll send you a list of BOLers you can practice on

Do not tempt me.

Return to Top
#760765 - 06/26/07 02:40 PM Re: Pepper spray 8675309
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: 8675309
Happy - I will tell her she might get some practice in during the Six Flags BOL trip keeping that crazy group in line! ; )

good chance the need will arise for pepper spray at the Coaster trip, can I stand near you?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett