Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#760939 - 06/26/07 04:21 PM Denied or withdrawn?
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
We were unable to grant credit to an applicant on a HMDA reportable application because of legal issues dealing with ownership of the propety. I know that this transaction does not qualify as "adverse action" under Reg B, but how should we report it on the HMDA LAR? I'm having difficulty finding this issue addressed under Reg C.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#761068 - 06/26/07 05:20 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? Lissa P.
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm not a Reg B expert, but here we would turn it turn for collateral value (because we're not able to perfect a lien on the property) and report it as a denial for HMDA.

Return to Top
#761090 - 06/26/07 05:30 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? hmdagal
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
I would agree with hmdagal.

Return to Top
#761135 - 06/26/07 05:43 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? sue's mom
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
Thanks.......

Return to Top
#761161 - 06/26/07 05:51 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? Lissa P.
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't think that the proper denial reason is "collateral value" under the Reg. B specificity rules. The denial had nothing to do with the value of the collateral. It had to do with the title. A more appropriate reason would be "unable to obtain a enforceable lien".

Even the commentary to the model Reg B forms state:

The sample forms are illustrative and may not be appropriate for all creditors. They were designed to include some of the factors that creditors most commonly consider. If a creditor chooses to use the checklist of reasons provided in one of the sample forms in this appendix and if reasons commonly used by the creditor are not provided on the form, the creditor should modify the checklist by substituting or adding their reasons.

If the reasons listed on the forms are not the factors actually used, a creditor will not satisfy the notice requirement by simply checking the closest identifiable factor listed.

Return to Top
#761641 - 06/26/07 08:45 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? rlcarey
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Would you not have approved the application subject to clear title? And if later you find that your borrower can't get such, would you not have an approved, not accepted? Didn't the loan get approved, subject to certain conditions-clear title. (I just hate to see a borrower "denied" a loan (as do most of them hate to see it), when the circumstances for the denial, are likely not in their control-isn't there something else?)

Just a thought but isn't the appraisal value subject to marketable title? And if there isn't such, isn't the value of the property diminished?

Only way to learn is to ask the stupid questions . . .that's where I come in.

Return to Top
#761802 - 06/26/07 10:37 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? biz
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Approved subject to conditions is not approved. If conditions are not met, the application is denied - no way around that.

While the appraisal may say that, the fact of the matter is not that the collateral does not have sufficient value - it really is a title issue.

The reason for denial is suppose to allow the applicant to clear the specific reason. If you tell them that the collateral value is insufficient - it is not really the reason. If this person could clear the title - then they would be good to go.

Return to Top
#761914 - 06/27/07 12:34 PM Re: Denied or withdrawn? rlcarey
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks again for explaining

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM