Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#761963 - 06/27/07 01:25 PM Weddings
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
A co-worker was just telling me about the wedding she stood up in last weekend. Nine couples in the wedding party. The bride paid for all the bridesmaids to have manicures and pedicures. Yikes! I didn't even have a manicure or pedicure for my OWN wedding!

Her wedding's dinner was fancy h'ordeuvres (sp?), followed by an expensive dinner, followed by pizza and sub sandwiches at midnight.

While that sounds like alot of fun, I liked my wedding better. To remind you, this was 1980 in Chicago. Made my own dress and headpiece, had one other couple in our bridal party, and the dinner! Since MOML is Italian and I am Polish, we had a homestyle dinner (bowls of food on your table, take as much as you want) of salad, ravioli, polish sausage, beef, smashed potatoes and peas. The wedding cake had cannoli filling. I figured that covered all bases.

The only drawback was that MOML and I wanted the color scheme to be brown, but when my matron of honor became pregnant, she ballooned to 200 pounds. The only dress she could find that would fit was burgundy red. I didn't care so much, but MOML was mad that she, in the end, got to choose our color scheme. My attitude was, "What would you have an 8 month pregnant woman wear then? You find her a dress."

I also see that, for years now, the wedding couple gives the guests each a little gift. Like golf balls and tees with the date and names on them, or little splits of champagne with the date and names on the labels.

At weddings you have had or attended, what unusual things stick in your memory?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#761971 - 06/27/07 01:29 PM Re: Weddings Nanwa
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Nanwa

At weddings you have had or attended, what unusual things stick in your memory?

I was in my cousin's wedding a few years back...
When the bridal party and groomsmen were introduced...we came out to a NASCAR themed song...
And when the bride and groom came out...we held up green, white, checkered, etc. flags for them to walk under...

And this was in central NJ...

Return to Top
#761978 - 06/27/07 01:34 PM Re: Weddings Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I have got to ask.....what does MOML stand for???

I have been wondering about this for several months now.

Return to Top
#761979 - 06/27/07 01:35 PM Re: Weddings #Just Jay
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Man of My Life

Return to Top
#761981 - 06/27/07 01:36 PM Re: Weddings Imagine
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
I was in my friends Groom party or whatever it's called. We all wore all-black Chuck Taylors because that's the only shoes he wears and has been for years. We had tuxes on as well. It was very comfortable and looked pretty good.

Return to Top
#761988 - 06/27/07 01:40 PM Re: Weddings #Just Jay
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I just went to a wedding a few months back. The groom and his 2 brothers are very close, but one of them was shipped back to Iraq all of a sudden and had to miss the wedding.

The other brother went and had a life size cardboard cut out made of the missing brother and placed it right next to the bride and groom! He sent a lovely letter, which the other brother read (not a dry eye in the house), and then they started a conga line...with the cardboard cutout!

Return to Top
#761990 - 06/27/07 01:42 PM Re: Weddings Sing A Little
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
That sounds soooo fun!!

Return to Top
#761994 - 06/27/07 01:45 PM Re: Weddings ~Special K~
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
My friends brother just got married and the guys all wore short sleeve cream button downs, khakis and flip flops. it was an outside wedding and very hot so it was very fitting.
Weddings should be comfortable.

Return to Top
#762041 - 06/27/07 02:12 PM Re: Weddings ~Special K~
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
OK, I just have to say that so many of these weddings (and Sweet 16 Parties) are getting OUT OF CONTROL.

Why anyone would spend $100k or more on one day is beyond me. I know it's a free country, but these people are idiots if you ask me.

And, TV is seems to be glorifying this type of behavior. Those Sweet 16 Party shows on MTV make me wretch. What a bunch of spoiled little brats. Those future Paris Hiltons make me nauseous.

OK, putting my soapbox away now.

Return to Top
#762058 - 06/27/07 02:19 PM Re: Weddings MB Guy
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
And, TV is seems to be glorifying this type of behavior. Those Sweet 16 Party shows on MTV make me wretch. What a bunch of spoiled little brats. Those future Paris Hiltons make me nauseous.

hear hear!

Return to Top
#762059 - 06/27/07 02:19 PM Re: Weddings MB Guy
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
That's OK MB Guy, I agree. No matter how two people get married the result is still the same. I've seen perfectly lovely weddings that were inexpensively done and have known of lavish weddings where the marriage didn't last 2 years.

Now for one of my favorite stories. Several years ago I attended the wedding of the daughter of a friend of mine. My friends 19 year old son was attending the seminary and he was allowed to perform the ceremony for his older sister. It was very touching - especially since the young man teared up many times during the wedding.

Return to Top
#762129 - 06/27/07 03:02 PM Re: Weddings Skittles
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
MB Guy, I think there is a direct correlation between how much you spend on the wedding day and the duration of the marriage. The more you spend, the shorter the marriage!

MOML and I were looking to buy our first house and some furniture. We didn't have money to lavish on a wedding. So we kept it small; 50 guests. We did not invite all the distant cousins whom we hadn't talked to in years.

My friends got married on a beach in Florida last September. It was simple, comfortable and beautiful! A sunset service. Instead of bouquets, the bride, mom, and maid of honor wore floral leis.

Return to Top
#762249 - 06/27/07 04:00 PM Re: Weddings Nanwa
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
2 VERY overweight people getting married...thank you Dear Lord I got out of being in the wedding...mother of the bride carried DRIED flowers....why? I don't understand...caught them on fire while lighting her candle...then the groom sang some COD awful John Michael Montgomery song so nasally that the pew I was sitting on was litterally shaking from people laughing so hard...

It was a HOOT!!!

Return to Top
#762305 - 06/27/07 04:30 PM Re: Weddings Mrs. Rizzo
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I was the matron of honor at my best friends wedding. Her husband-to-be belonged to a motorcycle club, and they got married at the clubhouse. We walked down an aisle lined with Harleys....the most unusual yet most fun wedding I have ever attended!

Return to Top
#762337 - 06/27/07 04:56 PM Re: Weddings TINKerBell
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I once attended a "shotgun" wedding of a girl with whom I worked. The reception was held at the local bowling alley/VFW Post (all in one building), which was also being repainted. There were dropcloths everywhere and the smell of paint. We ate our 6 foot Subway sub and chips from a big plastic bowl of chips to the sounds of someone playing bad music on a boom box, with the lovely sounds of bowling in the background.

I made my date wear a suit to this affair, and I had on a nice dress. As we arrived, the couple getting out of the pickup truck next to us in the parking lot were wearing matching cutoff raggedy jean shorts and matching black harley davidson t-shirts and arguing with their son over whether he had to wear shoes to go inside. The child was told, "it's X and Y's wedding day, I think they'd like it if you wore shoes, junior!" My date, needless to say, was not pleased with me telling him he had to wear a suit and tie. Everyone except the two of us and 2 other people (my boss and her husband) including the groom's and bride's parents were wearing either jeans or shorts and tee shirts. Nobody had indicated any sort of dress code or suggestions, and the invitations had only included the address of the reception and "dinner will be served" so we were clueless until arriving. It was pretty eye-opening, but we danced and made it a fun time. I've never forgotten this wedding, that's for sure!

Edited cuz I forgot to add: The 8 1/2 month pregnant bride and her groom arrived at the reception wearing a white bridal gown and khakis/button down shirt and tie, but disappeared after about 5 minutes and returned wearing maternity jeans & tee shirt and cutoff shorts, sandals & tee shirt.
Last edited by BurntSienna; 06/27/07 05:00 PM.

Return to Top
#762364 - 06/27/07 05:14 PM Re: Weddings BurntSienna
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My son just got married. It was held in a museum in the Great Hall so that tables served as seating for the ceremony and reception. No attendants, she wore a simple gown (actually was a bridesmaid's dress and he wore a suit. I made the wrappers for the miniature candies and the stickers for the bottoms of the hugs and kisses that were on all the tables. The cake was different flavors on the layers so only one cake instead of a groom's cake too. Reception has Jerk Pork Tenderloin and breads, cheeses, asparagus, sliced vegies with chipotle sauce and a mashed potato bar with all fixins. Got champagne, etc. at the wholesale store and we danced the night away to songs he downloaded on his laptop. Was one of the funner weddings we have been to in awhile and very simple.

Return to Top
#762377 - 06/27/07 05:22 PM Re: Weddings Queen Mum
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
My son & I both were just in a wedding this last weekend. My son was originally supposed to be the Ring Bearer, but since he wouldn't actually be carrying the rings (which we all know a child does not do) he was the Bible Boy. He carried the bible down to the Pastor. The wedding was outside at 12:15 pm with very little shade. The groomsmen and my son wore black tuxes. The bridesmaids wore little black dresses. The wedding was beautiful and turned out great, even though it was extremly hot! The only bad part was that we had to have the reception and everything cleaned up by 4 b/c there was another wedding after theirs. So it didn't seem like anyone got to spend anytime with the couple after the wedding. I forgot to mention that we had to finish pictures after the wedding so the bride and groom only got to mingle at their reception for about an hour and a half.
Overall it was a beautiful wedding, but seemed somewhat rushed.
Last edited by JustMe!; 06/27/07 05:23 PM.

Return to Top
#762385 - 06/27/07 05:26 PM Re: Weddings JustMe!
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
My cousin was married about 4-5 years ago in Ocho Rios.

Just them, no other family, very romantic.

But we were all sent lovely wedding announcements, along with an invitation to send a gift of cash to the following address, XYZ.

I sent a very nice, but empty, card.

Return to Top
#762417 - 06/27/07 05:42 PM Re: Weddings #Just Jay
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
when my cousin got married in ireland a few years back, he was so nervous that he started with the pints of guinness by about 8 am. then while they were at the altar, in addition to rattling the change in his pocket, when the priest got to the part about "do you take this woman...", he very solemnly looked at him and said "yes, father" instead of i do. there was a lot of giggling...

Return to Top
#762426 - 06/27/07 05:45 PM Re: Weddings Sandy Beech
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Originally Posted By: mag&moo
when my cousin got married in ireland a few years back, he was so nervous that he started with the pints of guinness by about 8 am. then while they were at the altar, in addition to rattling the change in his pocket, when the priest got to the part about "do you take this woman...", he very solemnly looked at him and said "yes, father" instead of i do. there was a lot of giggling...

That's hysterical!!!!!! Yes Father! I LOVE IT!!

Return to Top
#762427 - 06/27/07 05:45 PM Re: Weddings BurntSienna
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
I was a bridesmaid once and while standing in the windy breeze smoking a cigarette, my dress blew into my cigarette and caught on fire. Since I had been drinking and standing there talking to friends, I failed to notice that my dress was melting. It melted a huge hole on the side of the dress. lol

Return to Top
#762431 - 06/27/07 05:48 PM Re: Weddings Sandy Beech
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
At the last wedding I went to, the best man (and brother) of the groom used white out on the bottom of the grooms shoes to write a message saying "Help Me" without him knowing. When they were kneeling before the priest at one point, the shoes popped up and everyone say the message and there was outrageous laughter from everyone in the church. Everyone with the exception of the groom (including the priest) was highly amused.

Return to Top
#762438 - 06/27/07 05:51 PM Re: Weddings anon2006
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
My friend that got married in Spo-compton Washington in May, didnt have any alcohol at the reception. The Groomsmen had an old Astro Van in the parking lot, blaring Polka music and coolers full of drinks. Sorry not a traditional memory, but it was the best thing there.

Return to Top
#762506 - 06/27/07 06:29 PM Re: Weddings Nanwa
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I made the mistake of planning my wedding for the day of the SEC championship. When I finally figured this out, I was devastated because so far that season they were having an awesome year. We always have tickets available to us if our team goes, so I flipped out. If my team had gone that year (they didn't), I told my hubby I was skipping out of the reception early with or without him.

My hubby's best man had a dip in the entire ceremony (luckily it wasn't of tumor size, so no one noticed). My favorite part of the wedding (and pretty much all I can remember) was walking out to "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash.

Return to Top
#762514 - 06/27/07 06:33 PM Re: Weddings Ops
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
My husband and I had a pretty simple wedding 9 years ago, ham sandwiches and salads made by family members. Anyway between the reception and the wedding dance, we went to the go cart place. It had only been open about a week, they weren't quite sure what to do with a bridal party and a bunch of other people! It was a great time. I had to sit in a double car because my dress was too big to fit in the single car. The employees kept cutting the motor on my husband's cart, so I beat him! We did about 5 laps with just my husband and me, and then the rest of the bridal party joined in. It's a great memory!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2