Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#762484 - 06/27/07 06:16 PM social security number - help!
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
A couple of years ago I attended a seminar(BSA/AML) and received a copy of a social security # verification book. The book list the "area number" by issuing state, the "group number" by year issued, etc. Does anyone else use this type of tool for CIP? If so how accurate have you found the information? If- according to the information in the book- the SS cards were issued in the early 90's and the individuals (husband and wife/cards are sequentially numbered)are more than middle age what documentation would you request- other than a copy of the cards? Could this simply indicate that they are not US born citizens?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#762592 - 06/27/07 07:15 PM Re: social security number - help! nemsi
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
BAI used to publish the information, also in book form. Some of it is available on the SSA web site such as this listing of the area numbers and this overall explanation of SSNs.

As for the accuracy of what you received, the only valid test would be to compare it to the information linked above. Negative data bases oftentimes provide the year and area of issuance in connection with a number as a part of their responses to subscribers. It's a good tool, but hardly infallible.

As for your example, a H & W with sequential numbers, the serial numbers are assigned at random so it's theoretically possible if they are naturalized citizens or in a witness protection program. Ask.

Return to Top
#762898 - 06/27/07 09:25 PM Re: social security number - help! Elwood P. Dowd
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
Thanks Ken. We will be having a conversation with the customer. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

Return to Top
#765466 - 06/29/07 08:03 PM Re: social security number - help! nemsi
Click Here Offline
I couldn't help but chime in on this one from my own personal experience. I have lived in the same rual area for most of my life as have many of my friends. One in particular, who has been my friend since 2nd grade, is the same age as me by 2 weeks. It wasn't until recently when we were shopping together that we found out out our DL's number are exactly the same except for the last number, mine ends in 8, hers in 0. As we checked out at the same time, she presented hers and they completed her transaction and then I presented mine. Apparently, the similarity in our DLs caused the retailers system to send up red flags and the cashier was completely flabergasted. I must admit we were somewhat surprised ourself at first, but after thinking about it, it made sense. But then, although they aren't sequential, we found out our SSNs were within 75 digits of each others. After explaining everything to at least two supervisors, I finally walked out with the shoes my son wanted. I completely understood the suspicion, but we really didn't have anyway to prove the reason.

I did tell her that the next time we are shopping together, I'm checking out first!

Return to Top
#765564 - 06/29/07 08:40 PM Re: social security number - help! Click Here
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
Thanks Junior Member. I understand the DL situation- in fact my sister and I have the same number except for the last digit. Also small town. When we obtained our DLs as teenagers we did it at the same time. My DL number ends in 71, hers ends 72. The thing that is so strange about the SS #s is that there's an 11 year age difference. Hopefully we will get some answers. Have a good weekend.

Return to Top
#765826 - 06/29/07 10:19 PM Re: social security number - help! nemsi
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Hmmm. My siblings and I all have consecutive SS#s. They were all applied for at the same time when we were kids (in the 60's).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z