Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#763434 - 06/28/07 03:43 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:
you pick my pocket- I will kick snot out of you

and, if it wasn't necessary to "teach me a lesson" to protect yourself and/or property, i hope you get punished for doing so.
Quote:
you burglarize my home you will meet Mr Beretta and 19 friends or a machete which will cut off your right hand, Which one you want

and i hope that you are punished for doing so if those actions wre unnecessary except to your notions of vigilantiism.
Quote:
The consequences of a thief's actions are what they assume.

that's anarchy, don.
Quote:
A dear friends 75 year old mother was accosted on the street by a purse snatcher who threw her to the ground where she hit her head.

tragic story. i'm not sure how telling a story about the polar opposite proves your point though.

I disagree Ron. It is not vigilante justice. Once someone commits a crime directly against you, you cannot afford to sit there and consider the consequences. What if he had a gun or a knife? You better protect your own life.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#763443 - 06/28/07 03:48 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
If you're in a fight in that situation, you are fighting for keeps.

and that is still proportional.
Quote:
What's "proportionate" is what's necessary to make you feel safe in the situation

is turning somebody's face into pulp the only way to feel safe in a mugging situation?! there is no easy answer. it is very fact dependent.

Return to Top
#763457 - 06/28/07 03:53 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Sound Tactic
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Once someone commits a crime directly against you, you cannot afford to sit there and consider the consequences. What if he had a gun or a knife? You better protect your own life.

i think that ya'll are missing my point. this thread is glorifying a ex-marine who beat the snot out of a criminal. my point is that sometime before he he finished the guy off for good and the store manager or whatever had to stop the kill shot, the threat was neutralized. and after the threat is neutralized and the "defending" continues, the victim has become the criminal himself because vigilantiism is not the law.

Return to Top
#763464 - 06/28/07 03:57 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Quote:
Once someone commits a crime directly against you, you cannot afford to sit there and consider the consequences. What if he had a gun or a knife? You better protect your own life.

i think that ya'll are missing my point. this thread is glorifying a ex-marine who beat the snot out of a criminal. my point is that sometime before he he finished the guy off for good and the store manager or whatever had to stop the kill shot, the threat was neutralized. and after the threat is neutralized and the "defending" continues, the victim has become the criminal himself because vigilantiism is not the law.

Fine, so now the defender becomes the criminal, so he should be afforded all of the bullsh&*t protections now afforded the real criminal. Give that marine his get out of jail free card.

Return to Top
#763470 - 06/28/07 03:59 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket TheManofSteel
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Pickpocket knew he was breaking the law, he should not be afforded any protections under the law. In fact, he should have to wear a sign saying he got the snot beat out of him by a 72 year old man cause he tried to steal from him.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#763478 - 06/28/07 04:03 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Fine, so now the defender becomes the criminal, so he should be afforded all of the bullsh&*t protections now afforded the real criminal. Give that marine his get out of jail free card.

Return to Top
#763484 - 06/28/07 04:06 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket *BUSTER*
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Maximus
Pickpocket knew he was breaking the law, he should not be afforded any protections under the law. In fact, he should have to wear a sign saying he got the snot beat out of him by a 72 year old man cause he tried to steal from him.

I like the sign idea Max.

Interestingly, this issue is somewhat taken up int he article I posted about Casting Terrorists as Defenders of the Constitution. The article goes into the judicial trends that have ensued from mid-century forward, but alas, the BOL attorneys are not up to reading it.

Return to Top
#763489 - 06/28/07 04:06 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket rainman
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Regardess of my getting punished or not you will be missing a right hand.

Think you will be remembering ther rest of your life why that happened?

Return to Top
#763495 - 06/28/07 04:10 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Don_Narup
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Don_Narup
Regardess of my getting punished or not you will be missing a right hand.

Think you will be remembering ther rest of your life why that happened?

yes, vigilante justice served! that darn constitution would never allow such a just punishment. if only we could live by sharia law...

Return to Top
#763515 - 06/28/07 04:18 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Now that I think about this, I guess I do believe in vigilante justice, to an extent. See, I was camping last year and a cooler was stolen from my site while I was boating. The neighbors saw who did it, but there was nothing security could do without hard evidence. So, I know who did it but can do nothing about it. It was three punk teenagers who wanted my beer. Fine, steal my beer. But, the fact that they took the whole cooler, including all of our water for the week and all of our juice for the kids, that's what burned me. It took me the rest of the summer to track down the kids, but now I know. Perhaps by the end of this summer, I will have my revenge. My hope is that they leave a cooler out. I don't care if it's empty or not. I just want to take the cooler and leave them a note that says simply "I know". Time will tell. Maybe I'll leave the note without taking the cooler. I just really want to mess with them, mentally.

Ok, Hijack over.

Return to Top
#763521 - 06/28/07 04:21 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
That darn constitution as you put it, which I have defended, gives me the right to protect my property myself and family. No where in the constitution does it say there are limits of force to be used in specific criminal circumstances.

Those are laws made up by others of a different character than founding fathers.

Return to Top
#763539 - 06/28/07 04:32 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

Well, Huge Ron - sometime one gets pumped up and it's hard to stop - for example, if I started to beat you up, it would be hard to stop.

Return to Top
#763553 - 06/28/07 04:43 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Don_Narup
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Don, I just have to tell you that its good to see you back in the threads! Your no-nonsense posts are very refreshing. I hope all is well with you, and keep up the good fight! (No matter who, or what, it is against )

Return to Top
#763558 - 06/28/07 04:48 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket °X°
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Well thank goodness I live in the great state of Texas where the judicial and legislative branches have recognized that the homeowner is not legally required to quiz the intruder as to their intentions?

"Hello, thank you for illegally entering my home at 2 am. May I inquire as to your purpose here and your current state of mind so that I may choose the appropriate level of countermeasure that I should use against your trespass? Should you be a gentle person, would you mind standing there quietly and make no sudden movements whilst I phone the law enforcement authorities - please make no effort to harm myself, my children or my spouse. Do you understand these requests?" As opposed to the Miranda warning, I call this the Ron warning...

The state has said any force, up to and including deadly, is appropriate to defend your homestead against illegal entry? What pray tell is wrong with that? I would think if a crook knew he could potentially die by breaking in to a house that would be a deterrent, if it's not, doesn't that tell you about the level of desperation the crook may have - at which point, I'd definitely be shooting!

Sorry Ron - I find the lives of my dear family much more precious than the liberal concepts put forth - I don't have time to determine the intent, mind-frame, etc of the bad guy - You, however, are welcome to do so - that's what makes our country great!

And having re-read the article (to make sure I didn't miss your point, Ron), I'm having a hard time seeing where the article glorified the actions of this gentleman. I don't know that the reporting was completely dispassionate - but I don't really see a glorification bias there either?
Last edited by TexTrainer; 06/28/07 04:51 PM.

Return to Top
#763629 - 06/28/07 05:11 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket RBanker
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Amen to living in Texas. If somebody I have not invited into my house shows up at 3 in the morning, the ONLY way he is leaving is in a body bag.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#763641 - 06/28/07 05:19 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket *BUSTER*
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
don't worry max, nobody's after your pie - sheesh!

Return to Top
#763642 - 06/28/07 05:22 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Bailey.
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
All they would have to do is ask sometime during the day...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#763647 - 06/28/07 05:24 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Don_Narup
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Don_Narup
That darn constitution as you put it, which I have defended, gives me the right to protect my property myself and family. No where in the constitution does it say there are limits of force to be used in specific criminal circumstances.

Those are laws made up by others of a different character than founding fathers.

don, with all due respect, i have no idea what you mean. of course you may protect your family and property. but there are limits to what you may do to this end; once the protection is achieved, doing more to the perp is vigilantiism.

as far as the limits of force used in criminal circumstances, there is a constitutional limitation. it is called "cruel and unusual punishment." but that is for government actions. for private actions, people are entitled to use proportionate force (see paragraph above).

Return to Top
#763650 - 06/28/07 05:26 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket °X°
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Well, Huge Ron - sometime one gets pumped up and it's hard to stop - for example, if I started to beat you up, it would be hard to stop.

2 things: 1) like it or not, if you go too far, it is vigilantiism and, as such, is criminal on its own . 2) i don't think that you'd get very far with "the cagemaster".

Return to Top
#763654 - 06/28/07 05:27 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
What he means is in Texas, if there is an intruder in our house, we are well within our right to shoot to kill to protect our family and property.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#763665 - 06/28/07 05:31 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket RBanker
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Well thank goodness I live in the great state of Texas where the judicial and legislative branches have recognized that the homeowner is not legally required to quiz the intruder as to their intentions?

thankfully "shoot first ask questions later" is also not the law.

Quote:
The state has said any force, up to and including deadly, is appropriate to defend your homestead against illegal entry?

can you provide a citation so that i can see exactly what it says?
Quote:
Sorry Ron - I find the lives of my dear family much more precious than the liberal concepts put forth

sorry, tex, but having a society of laws is not some "liberal concept". vigilantiism is certainly not a hallmark of american justice. it is a hallmark of sharia law though.

Quote:
I'm having a hard time seeing where the article glorified the actions of this gentleman.

i haven't read the article either. i am referring to the "atta boy"s in this thread. i purposely didn't read the article because i wanted to approach this issue objectively.

Return to Top
#763682 - 06/28/07 05:36 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

2 things: 1) like it or not, if you go too far, it is vigilantiism and, as such, is criminal on its own . 2) i don't think that you'd get very far with "the cagemaster".

One thing.... I don't think Vigilantism means what you think it means.....

This guy was not, in any way, acting outside the law, or trying to summarily punish the perpetrator for his crimes without recourse to the legal system. What he was doing was protecting himself from a man who was in the act of robbing him. He took the guy down before the much younger man had a chance to pull a weapon or use his more youthful body to fight back.

He was not avenging a crime, he was stopping it from happening to him.

Return to Top
#763696 - 06/28/07 05:41 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket B_F
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Yep, thank you BF.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#763722 - 06/28/07 05:48 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket Hated By Some
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige

i haven't read the article either. i am referring to the "atta boy"s in this thread. i purposely didn't read the article because i wanted to approach this issue objectively.

That makes no sense. (Regardless of the atta boy's). If this thread was based on the idea of a 72 year old ex-marine protecting himself by beating someone up, OK. But it's not. Looking at something objectively means that you are looking at an issue from both sides. Obviously that is not the case if you haven't even taken two minutes to read the article to which this thread is referring.

Perhaps you should have said: i purposely didn't read the article because i wanted to make all of my own points without getting all of the facts because then I feel like I'm always right and then I can like myself more than I already do

Return to Top
#763724 - 06/28/07 05:50 PM Re: Ex-Marine Beats the Daylights Out of Pickpocket B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
This guy was not, in any way, acting outside the law

proportional force is the law everywhere to the best of my knowledge. at least in the states where i am admitted to practice.
Quote:
This guy was not...trying to summarily punish the perpetrator for his crimes without recourse to the legal system

well, if the threat didn't exist after the first couple of punches to render the perp defenseless, i don't know what purpose the additional ones served.
Quote:
What he was doing was protecting himself from a man who was in the act of robbing him.

protecting oneself ended after he was able to stop the threat.
Quote:
He was not avenging a crime, he was stopping it from happening to him.

the argument is not defense. when have i ever said that someone cannot defend themselves or their property? the issue is going past defense and exacting some sort of revenge/punishment on the perp. i really don't care for the semantics of whether it is technically vigilantiism or not. i thing i have pointed out the essence of him going past defense and entering the realm of 'taking justice into one's own hands.'

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4