BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#767081 - 07/03/07 02:54 PM Key to good marriage? Share housework not children
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Key to a good marriage? Share housework. (Not children)

By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
Sun Jul 1, 6:54 AM ET

NEW YORK - The percentage of Americans who consider children "very important" to a successful marriage has dropped sharply since 1990, and more now cite the sharing of household chores as pivotal, according to a sweeping new survey.

The Pew Research Center survey on marriage and parenting found that children had fallen to eighth out of nine on a list of factors that people associate with successful marriages — well behind "sharing household chores," "good housing," "adequate income," a "happy sexual relationship" and "faithfulness."

In a 1990 World Values Survey, children ranked third in importance among the same items, with 65 percent saying children were very important to a good marriage. Just 41 percent said so in the new Pew survey.

Chore-sharing was cited as very important by 62 percent of respondents, up from 47 percent in 1990.

The survey also found that, by a margin of nearly 3-to-1, Americans say the main purpose of marriage is the "mutual happiness and fulfillment" of adults rather than the "bearing and raising of children."

The survey's findings buttress concerns expressed by numerous scholars and family-policy experts, among them Barbara Dafoe Whitehead of Rutgers University's National Marriage Project.

"The popular culture is increasingly oriented to fulfilling the X-rated fantasies and desires of adults," she wrote in a recent report. "Child-rearing values — sacrifice, stability, dependability, maturity — seem stale and musty by comparison."

Snip........ Yahoo AP

Actually, there are Ten words to a successful marriage...

I'm sorry, it's my fault. It will never happen again.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#767094 - 07/03/07 03:03 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children °X°
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
been married a long time?

Return to Top
#767096 - 07/03/07 03:06 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children kms
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Can't you tell?? he has been trained properly...

Return to Top
#767214 - 07/03/07 03:54 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Retired DQ
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
You forgot "Yes Dear"...

Return to Top
#767320 - 07/03/07 04:40 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children TB 12
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I'm not surprised that chore-sharing was at the top of the list. Whether they choose to have kids or not - even regardless of actually being married - a successful relationship for most couples means living together and having to negotiate taking care of space they both share. I know that division of labor around the house was a huge issue between my parents. It was also a huge issue for me, living with my first boyfriend.

Return to Top
#767327 - 07/03/07 04:44 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Becka Marr
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Even harder is getting the kids to share in the housework...

Return to Top
#767333 - 07/03/07 04:48 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children The Incredible ComplyGuy
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Let me know how you get that to happen TICG, I haven't found a solution for that one...

Return to Top
#767339 - 07/03/07 04:50 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children The Incredible ComplyGuy
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I have to say, I am always happier when my husband piches in around the house. We don't have kids, but he works and goes to school full time, so most of the time I have to carry the burden of everything. My favorite time of year is when he doesn't take any summer classes and helps out.

Return to Top
#767372 - 07/03/07 05:04 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children kms
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: kms
Let me know how you get that to happen TICG, I haven't found a solution for that one...

you give them some spending cash- or you ground them until their chores are done- whichever comes first.

Return to Top
#767402 - 07/03/07 05:28 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children kms
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: kms

Don't make them pick up their toys for several weeks, until they are unable to escape from their rooms. Then have a parade, and they will be forced to clean their way out...

Return to Top
#767428 - 07/03/07 05:45 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children pjs
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
tried the cash, they didn't like my terms and conditions. Should have never taught them to read

Return to Top
#767436 - 07/03/07 05:47 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Becka Marr
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
If they only confined the toys to their room, I find light sabers(sp) all over

Return to Top
#767678 - 07/03/07 08:05 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children TB 12
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Also:

1. You look delicious in that!

2. What butt? It's so small I can hardly see it.

3. That glamorous, new hairstyle gives me goose-bumps.

4. Does who look attractive? I didn't notice.

5. Forget it. I would never re-marry. I would pine away for you until I died a miserable, lonely death.

6. I was such a loser before I married you.

7. Boy, I wish my mother was as cool as yours.

8. From a distance, I couldn't tell if it was you or some teenager.

9. You should eat more. You're looking a little thin.

10. Being married to her would be miserable.

Return to Top
#767686 - 07/03/07 08:08 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children °X°
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
The key to marriage is simple... make sure you work opposite shifts so that you only see each other long enough to say I love you a couple times a week.

Return to Top
#767744 - 07/03/07 08:34 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Clown Boy
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Actually, CB, you're not too far from the truth. We did work opposite shifts for 21 years. Good part was we didn't get a chance to fight. Bad part was we didn't get a chance to do anything else. I think it was easier to cope with my divorce since I had already been sleeping alone for so many years since he worked the 11:00 - 7:30 shift and I had the bed to myself.

Of course, it would have helped had he split the household chores but that didn't happen either. As a matter of fact, he wasn't much of a father either. Oh well, never mind... Don't ask me for marriage advice.

Return to Top
#767754 - 07/03/07 08:40 PM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Clown Boy
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Originally Posted By: Clown Boy
The key to marriage is simple... make sure you work opposite shifts so that you only see each other long enough to say I love you a couple times a week.

That is funny that you say that...my husband and I are in this situation. He also goes to school, so we really don't see each other much, but we do make the most of the time we have. I am actually wondering if we will drive each other crazy when the schedules change in a few years. LOL

Return to Top
#767971 - 07/04/07 11:46 AM Re: Key to good marriage? Share housework not children Clown Boy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Clown Boy

LOL, CB. When my husband switched from nights to days, we divorced... oh well.
Last edited by Devil Queen; 07/04/07 11:47 AM.

Return to Top