Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#770273 - 07/07/07 08:14 PM What Iraqis Are Up Against
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Unbelievable. You really ought to read the whole thing.

Quote:
Since my reporting of the massacre at the al Ahamir village, many readers at home have asked how anyone can know that al Qaeda actually performed the massacre...No one can claim with certainty that it was al Qaeda, but the Iraqis here seem convinced of it. At a meeting today in Baqubah one Iraqi official I spoke with framed the al Qaeda infiltration and influence in the province....

His opinion, shared by others present, is that al Qaeda came to Baqubah and united many of the otherwise independent criminal gangs. Speaking through an American interpreter [LT Wallach] who is a native Arabic speaker, the Iraqi official related how al Qaeda united these gangs who then became absorbed into "al Qaeda." They recruited boys born during the years 1991, 92 and 93 who were each given weapons, including pistols, a bicycle and a phone (with phone cards paid) and a salary of $100 per month, all courtesy of al Qaeda. These boys were used for kidnapping, torturing and murdering people.

At first, he said, they would only target Shia, but over time the new al Qaeda directed attacks against Sunni, and then anyone who thought differently. The official reported that on a couple of occasions in Baqubah, al Qaeda invited to lunch families they wanted to convert to their way of thinking. In each instance, the family had a boy, he said, who was about 11 years old. As LT Wallach interpreted the man’s words, I saw Wallach go blank and silent. He stopped interpreting for a moment. I asked Wallach, "What did he say?" Wallach said that at these luncheons, the families were sat down to eat. And then their boy was brought in with his mouth stuffed. The boy had been baked. Al Qaeda served the boy to his family.

...Like many things in Iraq, the question of whether or not the murderers were al Qaeda is flawed from beginning. Al Qaeda is not a union, it doesn’t issue passports. What is al Qaeda but the collection of people who claim to be al Qaeda? Those responsible for murdering and burying those bodies in al Ahamir had the markers of al Qaeda, the same al Qaeda that had boastfully installed itself as the shadow government of Baqubah. The al Qaeda who committed atrocities in Afghanistan, New York... the list is long. As for al Ahamir, the massacre "walks like a duck." It happened in duck headquarters. The people here say the duck did it. The duck laughs.

The story goes on to talk about the positive impact a lingering American force in the province has had, and the fact that many Iraqis are eager to ally themselves with us, so long as they are convinced we aren't going to abandon them. I wonder if our politicians are making it easier or more difficult for Iraqis to ally themselves with our soldiers?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#770283 - 07/08/07 02:23 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Excellent post -J-. A very long read, but definitely worth the read. This shows that conflicts of this nature take a great deal of patience and perserverance, both from our depolyed servicemen/women and from all of us at home giving them moral support.

Let's all continue our prayers and support, as the tide slowly turns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Return to Top
#770321 - 07/09/07 12:40 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against TheManofSteel
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
and Rosie O'Donnell refers to us as the terrorists....

Return to Top
#770322 - 07/09/07 12:40 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
oh and so did John Kerry

Return to Top
#770371 - 07/09/07 02:04 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against Sound Tactic
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
and another weepy senator too, forget his name now

Return to Top
#770392 - 07/09/07 02:44 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Pale, I thiink you are referring to Dick Durbin.

Return to Top
#770536 - 07/09/07 04:47 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against TheManofSteel
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Whew. What can you say after a story like that?

Return to Top
#770580 - 07/09/07 05:19 PM Re: What Iraqis Are Up Against MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I'm not sure. But since the time this was posted Neo has managed to post four dribble articles that he didn't even bother to read, so I would rather read this.

Return to Top