BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#772675 - 07/11/07 07:28 PM Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination
A_G Online
10K Club
Black shoppers sue Toys 'R' Us for discrimination

"Patricia Drayton and Valerie Kirk said in the lawsuit that the store in The Bronx, a borough of New York City, discriminated against them by asking them to show their sales receipts. The suit was filed in Manhattan Federal Court on Tuesday.

Drayton said in the lawsuit that she was stopped by a security guard at the door of the store and asked to show her receipt. After refusing to do so, she was made to wait while the employee checked with a cashier to see if she had purchased the merchandise, the lawsuit said."

Now if I had a guess, I would say that the store policy does not require only African Americans to show their sales receipts at the door.

Last edited by AuditGuy; 07/11/07 07:28 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#772678 - 07/11/07 07:30 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
This whiteboy has always had to show a reciept at the local Sam's Club when I leave.

Return to Top
#772680 - 07/11/07 07:31 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination A_G
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
Black shoppers sue Toys 'R' Us for discrimination

"Patricia Drayton and Valerie Kirk said in the lawsuit that the store in The Bronx, a borough of New York City, discriminated against them by asking them to show their sales receipts. The suit was filed in Manhattan Federal Court on Tuesday.

Drayton said in the lawsuit that she was stopped by a security guard at the door of the store and asked to show her receipt. After refusing to do so, she was made to wait while the employee checked with a cashier to see if she had purchased the merchandise, the lawsuit said."

Now if I had a guess, I would say that the store policy does not require only African Americans to show their sales receipts at the door.

In fact, and I do not know if this is regional, it is a common practice for stores in Westchester to reuire showing their sales receipt when exiting. COSTCO, Sams Club, KMart, Target all do this in Westchester County.

Return to Top
#772684 - 07/11/07 07:33 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
AML: thats cause the Quidos are thieves up there

Return to Top
#772685 - 07/11/07 07:34 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination #Just Jay
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
This whiteboy has always had to show a reciept at the local Sam's Club when I leave.

Hey me too. Let's get a class action suit going.

Return to Top
#772686 - 07/11/07 07:34 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination TheManofSteel
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I know some people who have been asked to show their receipts when leaving Target. The problem is that if it's not asked of everyone, it's profiling IMHO.

Return to Top
#772697 - 07/11/07 07:38 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Comp Guy No More
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
At Best Buy, sometimes I am asked to show a reciept, other times no. As comp guy said, unless it is an across the board policy, there could be trouble.

Return to Top
#772699 - 07/11/07 07:39 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Comp Guy No More
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
I hate businesses that do this. I usually stop going if I get asked to show a receipt.

Return to Top
#772704 - 07/11/07 07:41 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination FBH
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Sam's club is across the board. You show your receipt to leave. I believe Best Buy does this for large electronics that are going out the door.

Return to Top
#772706 - 07/11/07 07:42 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination TB 12
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
wait a minute...I was asked to show a receipt last time I left ToysRUS, and I'm not black...but I will be if it gets me into the lkawsuit. Better yet, I can sue these two clods for slander, by saying that I'm treated differently when I'm actually not. I'm so distraught over this, I'm feeling lack of consortium coming on...

Return to Top
#772707 - 07/11/07 07:42 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Comp Guy No More
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
I know some people who have been asked to show their receipts when leaving Target. The problem is that if it's not asked of everyone, it's profiling IMHO.

I disagree. Maybe it's store policy to check every fifth person's receipt who leaves the store. Sort of an "internal control" procedure. On the other hand, if every fifth person happens to be Afican American, then we might have a different story on our hands.

Return to Top
#772711 - 07/11/07 07:44 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination HappyGilmore
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: happygilmore
wait a minute...I was asked to show a receipt last time I left ToysRUS, and I'm not black...but I will be if it gets me into the lkawsuit. Better yet, I can sue these two clods for slander, by saying that I'm treated differently when I'm actually not. I'm so distraught over this, I'm feeling lack of consortium coming on...

Return to Top
#772714 - 07/11/07 07:44 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination A_G
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East

I disagree. Maybe it's store policy to check every fifth person's receipt who leaves the store. Sort of an "internal control" procedure. On the other hand, if every fifth person happens to be Afican American, then we might have a different story on our hands.

If it is indeed store policy, I agree as long as it is administered consistantly. I find it odd that the number of times I've been in these stores, I've never been asked to show a receipt.

Return to Top
#772715 - 07/11/07 07:45 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination A_G
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
I know I can't go in or out of Wal Mart with something without one of those greeters waiving me down for my reciept... Usually I just keep on walking but I guess now I can use the race card.

Return to Top
#772717 - 07/11/07 07:47 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Simply Sheldon
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
but but but... but but... you're black

Return to Top
#772728 - 07/11/07 07:54 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Comp Guy No More
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

If it is indeed store policy, I agree as long as it is administered consistantly. I find it odd that the number of times I've been in these stores, I've never been asked to show a receipt.

That is because you look so trustworthy!

Return to Top
#772736 - 07/11/07 07:57 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Bailey.
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
If they would have simply questioned why they were being asked and then provided the receipt, we'd never know of these alleged practices. I'm sure the $200 million each they're seeking will change everything.

Return to Top
#772737 - 07/11/07 07:58 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination #Just Jay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what I have found at Wally World is that if everything is in a bag, they don't ask. But if you buy something they don't bag (cokes, charcoal, TV) they ask to check

Return to Top
#772740 - 07/11/07 08:01 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination HappyGilmore
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
So, save your wal-mart bags and shop for free!

Return to Top
#772741 - 07/11/07 08:01 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Hmmm I have never been asked for a receipt at any of those places.. Maybe I am being discriminated against... Why don't they like me enough to ask me?

Return to Top
#772742 - 07/11/07 08:02 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination HappyGilmore
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
It's common practice for stores to ask to see your receipt. And, from what I understand, you have every right to refuse to let them look at the receipt. The store has no legal right to detain you at all if you do refuse, it is considered being held against your will(for lack of not thinking of the proper words). The problem with most retail Loss Prevention people is that they are not informed of this fact and think they are retail cops.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#772743 - 07/11/07 08:03 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination kms
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
i still get carded. i don't question any of it anymore...

Return to Top
#772748 - 07/11/07 08:05 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Bailey.
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I worked for a grocery store in HS. A couple came in and filled a cart and walked out. Once we followed them, they ditched the cart and took off to the Mall accross the street. Another employee and I were asked to follow them so we could point them out to the cops. When the PD arrived, they pretended to be deaf until the cop said something about jail.

Return to Top
#772752 - 07/11/07 08:08 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
Originally Posted By: Maximus
It's common practice for stores to ask to see your receipt. And, from what I understand, you have every right to refuse to let them look at the receipt. The store has no legal right to detain you at all if you do refuse, it is considered being held against your will(for lack of not thinking of the proper words). The problem with most retail Loss Prevention people is that they are not informed of this fact and think they are retail cops.

From now on when I'm done shopping and I'm walking out, when they ask to see my reciept I'm just gonna give them the craziest look and dash for the door!

Return to Top
#772762 - 07/11/07 08:11 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Simply Sheldon
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
You shouldn't run, that would give them all the more reason to chase you and tackle you, I've seen it happen.

Just say you don't have to show it to them and keep walking.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2