Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#772774 - 07/11/07 08:17 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
Well it wouldn't be as funny then..

I can just see the old guy with the oxygen tank at our wal mart trying to chase me down so he can tackle me. LOLoad!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#772784 - 07/11/07 08:23 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Simply Sheldon
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
For real???? You don't have to show if they ask? That's so freeing!!! I wanna go shopping now!

Return to Top
#772797 - 07/11/07 08:28 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination ~Special K~
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Your laws may vary. But yeah, if you don't want to be bothered with the hassel, you can refuse.

If they persist, tell them to call the cops and when they get there you'll have them arrested for unlawful detainment, when they get confused just calmly walk away.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#772812 - 07/11/07 08:33 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Simply Sheldon
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
Originally Posted By: simply sheldon

I can just see the old guy with the oxygen tank at our wal mart trying to chase me down so he can tackle me. LOLoad!

This guy doesn't even say hi to me.... what the he11 kind of greeter is that??????

Return to Top
#772817 - 07/11/07 08:35 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
Originally Posted By: Maximus
Your laws may vary. But yeah, if you don't want to be bothered with the hassel, you can refuse.

If they persist, tell them to call the cops and when they get there you'll have them arrested for unlawful detainment, when they get confused just calmly walk away.

OMG you rock Max....I soooo wanna get on the lawsuit bandwagon!! yippppieee!

Return to Top
#772845 - 07/11/07 08:44 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Sandy Beech
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
Originally Posted By: mag&moo
Originally Posted By: simply sheldon

This guy doesn't even say hi to me.... what the he11 kind of greeter is that??????

The kind that DOESN'T start to get on your nerves after the 3rd or 4th unplanned trip of the day...

Return to Top
#772848 - 07/11/07 08:45 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination ~Special K~
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Oh yeah, I rock hard.

Just some of the copious ammounts of random information in this brain of mine.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#773048 - 07/12/07 12:30 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
Ok, I thought about this all night...lol
What if the little alarm thingy goes off, only then do they have the right to look at your receipt, correct??

Return to Top
#773052 - 07/12/07 12:41 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
It's common practice for stores to ask to see your receipt. And, from what I understand, you have every right to refuse to let them look at the receipt. The store has no legal right to detain you at all if you do refuse, it is considered being held against your will(for lack of not thinking of the proper words). The problem with most retail Loss Prevention people is that they are not informed of this fact and think they are retail cops.

I recommend you be careful with this. While I believe it is correct that if store personnel ask you for a receipt as you are walking in, you can refuse, I don't believe they actually have to let you in. THey can refuse entrance to anyone (just like your bank can). If they refuse and somehow "hold you" and not let you leave and call the police, you may have a claim for some sort of illegal hold, but I think that would be a very rare case, and may still have problems.

In most circumstances, stores do have a lot of leeway in procedures to try to stop fraud and theft. That said, I am not commenting on the ToysRUs lawsuit -- it very well may be valid b/c as others have noted, a problem with a policy is usually from how it is executed.

On a related note, I recently read an article in the most current Reader's Digest that stunned me -- some high school in a small town in south Georgia just had its first integrated prom in almost 30 years! I had no idea that attitudes like that still existed to that degree.

Return to Top
#773271 - 07/12/07 03:27 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination ~Special K~
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: ~Karen~

If you don't have anything to hide, why don't you just show your receipt?
These types of attitudes really [censored] me off, after working years in retail. I saw (and my husband, who still manages a retail store, still sees) so much theft that it's unreal.

If that's a way to combat it, by asking to see receipts...then just show them your receipt and move on with your life.
Last edited by MadisonCali; 07/12/07 03:27 PM.

Return to Top
#773278 - 07/12/07 03:33 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination MadisonCali
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree with MadisonCali-I don't see what the big deal is to show a store employee a reciept....frankly, the times I have had to show it they just quickly glance at it-no harm, no foul.

Return to Top
#773366 - 07/12/07 04:16 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination MadisonCali
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
Originally Posted By: MadisonCali

These types of attitudes really [censored] me off, after working years in retail. I saw (and my husband, who still manages a retail store, still sees) so much theft that it's unreal.

If that's a way to combat it, by asking to see receipts...then just show them your receipt and move on with your life.

**Note the sarcasm in my statement.....

Return to Top
#773367 - 07/12/07 04:16 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination TB 12
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I also agree. How long does it take? Usually not 15 seconds. If it will cut down on theft and hopefully keep prices down, I'm all for it.
Last edited by Bagweaver; 07/12/07 04:16 PM.

Return to Top
#773542 - 07/12/07 06:12 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination ~Special K~
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster

Guess I jumped the gun on that, sorry.
It's a sensitive subject for me because of all of the people that would either threaten me with physical harm (try having a knife pulled on you by a 13 year old wiseass that you busted stealing a bunch of CDs, for one example) or call me racist just because they got caught stealing. And believe me, I busted many people of many different ethnicities (whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics...I've caught them all), and I was ALWAYS a 'racist' for doing it. Even though they were caught redhanded.

Why does anybody think they deserve anything for free while the rest of us are working are asses off for it?

Okay. Rant over.

Return to Top
#773573 - 07/12/07 06:32 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
If they persist, tell them to call the cops and when they get there you'll have them arrested for unlawful detainment

Max, your logic is flawed. First, if you call the cops in this situation, they certainly won't be arresting the store employees. If anyone is arrested, it will be you for wasting their time. Second, shopping anywhere is a privelege, not a right. They have the right, as the store owner, to demand to see your receipt when you're leaving. Failing to show this, as lawfully requested, does allow them to hold you until the police come. This is not unlawful detainment, this is simply stupidity on your part for not showing the receipt and moving on.

Return to Top
#773596 - 07/12/07 06:43 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination TB 12
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Originally Posted By: sox in '04
At Best Buy, sometimes I am asked to show a reciept, other times no. As comp guy said, unless it is an across the board policy, there could be trouble.

I worked at Best Buy for 2 years and they check it randomly, or if something is not in a bag they have too, but at christmas time they check everyone

Return to Top
#774088 - 07/13/07 02:01 AM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination Comp Guy No More
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
I know some people who have been asked to show their receipts when leaving Target. The problem is that if it's not asked of everyone, it's profiling IMHO.

No, only if, say, all black or hispanic customers were asked for their receipts, ..... if every, say, third person is asked, or if the next customer who comes along after the store security officer has checked the previous receipt (which is how it seems to work in my local Walmart on days when they are checking receipts) is asked, then most definitely no, it isn't profiling.
Last edited by WildTurkey; 07/13/07 02:01 AM.

Return to Top
#774119 - 07/13/07 12:51 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination WildTurkey
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I should add that, according to the family this has haapened to, they are asked every time. They are a poorish looking family with minimal hygene skills. They now refuse to go to Target.

Return to Top
#775403 - 07/14/07 02:22 AM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination *BUSTER*
Peepers Offline
10K Club
You shouldn't run, that would give them all the more reason to chase you and tackle you, I've seen it happen.

Just say you don't have to show it to them and keep walking.

I suggest everyone pocket their receipt and give them employee the finger.........but not in New Jersey.

"Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig can"

Return to Top
#775409 - 07/14/07 02:00 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination MadisonCali
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM

Guess I jumped the gun on that, sorry.
It's a sensitive subject for me because of all of the people that would either threaten me with physical harm (try having a knife pulled on you by a 13 year old wiseass that you busted stealing a bunch of CDs, for one example) or call me racist just because they got caught stealing. And believe me, I busted many people of many different ethnicities (whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics...I've caught them all), and I was ALWAYS a 'racist' for doing it. Even though they were caught redhanded.

Why does anybody think they deserve anything for free while the rest of us are working are asses off for it?

Okay. Rant over.

No worries...I understand where you're coming from!

Return to Top
#775422 - 07/14/07 07:16 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination MadisonCali
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I was ALWAYS a 'racist' for doing it. Even though they were caught redhanded.

Aha! So you are racist- only targeting redhanded people.

Return to Top
#775500 - 07/16/07 12:58 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination JacF
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
lol JacFSB

Return to Top
#775556 - 07/16/07 01:45 PM Re: Black shoppers sue Toys R Us for Discrimination JacF
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: JacFSB
I was ALWAYS a 'racist' for doing it. Even though they were caught redhanded.

Aha! So you are racist- only targeting redhanded people.

Busted!
You caught me...

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2