Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#773086 - 07/12/07 01:19 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Now, I don't pretend to know all the details of this case. But I find it hard for a football program to ensure that one hundred plus kids are at work, and recieving a proper pay check. Maybe OU did nothing to mitigate the risks, but if they did to do something then this is bad for NCAA Football. To me this says we can strip you of all of your stats, records, etc. if we want to.

So, OU went 0-12 in 2005 yet they went to a bowl game? Wierd.

Return to Top
#773089 - 07/12/07 01:21 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
This has always been an issue with all college teams... OU is particularly bad though.

Return to Top
#773101 - 07/12/07 01:33 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Simply Sheldon
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
In all seriousness. They lose two scholarships per year, for two years, yet they have to go back and erase all of their wins in 2005? This is a joke. Here, we will slap you on your wrist, but we will show everyone that you guys lost all your games. Come on.

Return to Top
#773102 - 07/12/07 01:36 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
[censored] but I'm not sure it will actually go through.

Return to Top
#773108 - 07/12/07 01:39 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Simply Sheldon
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
So, by doing the right thing, dismissing the players once the scheme was discovered, the university is being penalized? That doesn't make sense to me. If the University uncovered it and took the action that triggered the investigation, isn't that evidence that the university WAS moitoring the student employees, unless the NCAA requires the university to monitor the athletes on a daily basis!

Return to Top
#773122 - 07/12/07 01:48 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Comp Guy No More
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
This is where I don't know much about the case. I am guessing that OU was probably totally lax and they uncovered it by 1) the news story that reported it first or 2) the player came clean.

However, even if they were totally lax about it, put them on suspension, take away scholorhsips, but don't change the past record books.

Return to Top
#773124 - 07/12/07 01:48 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Comp Guy No More
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
the record will be 0-4, the wins are forfeited but do not become losses. The reason why we got off so easy is because the school discovered it and took prompt action. Overall the penalty isn't very stiff. Just scholarships. The main reason why it was this harsh is the recent problems with the men's basketball and gymnastics programs also having problems.

On a side note though, this does not bode well for USC. In the OU case we are talking about $17k, in the Reggie Bush case it's in the hundreds of thousands. Plus since Bush and his family aren't cooperating in the investigation it is likely that the NCAA will be even harsher on the University. This could very well cause USC two national titles and 3 seasons of wins. It is a good thing they didnt break records for most consecutive wins or anything...

Return to Top
#773126 - 07/12/07 01:49 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
I believe they are just making an example for all the other teams... Everyone knows this is how college ball goes.

Return to Top
#773127 - 07/12/07 01:49 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
well my aggies picked up two more wins in "05, not sure that means anything though

Return to Top
#773128 - 07/12/07 01:50 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
what happened Shemp is the place that employed the kids switched ownership and when it did it was discovered by the new owners what was happening. They reported it to the university, which then dismissed the players.

Return to Top
#773144 - 07/12/07 01:57 PM Re: Boomer Sooner X O
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
So, who won the Big XII in 2005? It would be Colorado then right. Even though Texas would have whipped Colorado. That is why I don't like this.

Return to Top
#773146 - 07/12/07 02:00 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
No texas won it. this was the UT national championship year that this affected.

Return to Top
#773148 - 07/12/07 02:03 PM Re: Boomer Sooner X O
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Ooops my bad, you are right and I don't know why I was thinking of 2004. Either way, I still think this is very bad.

Return to Top
#773151 - 07/12/07 02:04 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
BTW $20 bucks says USC gets off scott free.

Return to Top
#773193 - 07/12/07 02:30 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
nittany lion national championship. write it down and/or take a picture.

Return to Top
#773197 - 07/12/07 02:31 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Sound Tactic
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
So why do they have to keep the losses on too???

Plus, why are the two boys allowed to play elsewhere now?? Seems like they are getting off pretty easy here too.

Return to Top
#773209 - 07/12/07 02:36 PM Re: Boomer Sooner #Just Jay
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
i was wondering why the losses weren't wiped also, i guess the concept is they could have lost with or without the players but may not have won without them....

because the NCAA isn't about punishing the perps, so much as the universities. bhomar went to sam houston st, and quinn went to Montana. both had to sit out all of last season.

Return to Top
#777080 - 07/17/07 09:48 PM Re: Boomer Sooner X O
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Being a Sooner fan, I can say that I think making the team show zero wins for the season is a crock. Media didn't break this thing, it was the University that announced it. As said above, the dealership changed hands and the good for nothing guy that used to run the place is gone. When a university gets reports that the students are working what are they supposed to do - have someone follow them to work every day to make sure? You should be able to go on the employment reports. Dismissing two of your starters (one being the starting QB) right before the season starts is big. I have lots of respect for the coach in doing so. The University tells athletes if they break the rules then they will have to pay the price. The only reason they did not play last year is due to the transfer rule saying you have to sit out a year of eligibility. If a Banker screws up bigtime we get these alerts that they are banned from banking. Why not do the same to athletes?

I agree that USC will probably get off without much more than a "tsk, tsk, tsk" and that is bad. NCAA needs to come down hard on them as they did OU or else get their act together. I'm sure there are many colleges around that have violations that are never brought to light. At least OU didn't try to pay off anyone and sweep it under the rug and continue playing these boys. They owned up to it and took action. Something that USC did not.

Return to Top
#777085 - 07/17/07 09:51 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Queen Mum
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
they both dropped to lower division schools didnt they? you dont have to sit out if you go to division 2.

Return to Top
#777086 - 07/17/07 09:51 PM Re: Boomer Sooner X O
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
such as ohio st. and troy smith's free trunk load of merchandise....
Last edited by XO XO Xodus...; 07/17/07 09:51 PM.

Return to Top
#778038 - 07/18/07 08:22 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Queen Mum
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Media didn't break this thing, it was the University that announced it.

First of all, that is completely untrue. This story broke 6 months prior to anyone in the OU adminstration acknowledging the fact. read this They were trying to be "proactive", gimme a break.

[/quote]I agree that USC will probably get off without much more than a "tsk, tsk, tsk" and that is bad. NCAA needs to come down hard on them as they did OU or else get their act together. [/quote] I totally disagree on this one. OU got off very light. They were guilty of the same infraction A&M was in the 90's and received half the penalty.

[/quote]At least OU didn't try to pay off anyone and sweep it under the rug and continue playing these boys. They owned up to it and took action. Something that USC did not.
[/quote] Adrian Peterson driving around a Lexus for 6 months doesn't sound a little fishy to you? Bob Stoops then finds out and tells him to return it to the dealership. You never heard about this throughout the investigation. Stoops sure as [censored] was not going to kick off his heisman trophy candidate.

NCAA needs a serious revamping, this is a joke! The fact of the matter in this case is relatively simple. In 1994 ATM had several players punch in and not work to the tune of $17,900 dollars. As soon as we found out we placed the players on suspension and investigated. OU has the same situation in 2005 to the tune of $17,000 dollars, they find out they suspend the players involved.

Here is the HUGE difference ATM was 3 years removed from the last infractions in any sport, OU is 1 year removed.

Penalties for ATM loss of TV, loss of Bowl game, 5 YEARS of probation.

Penalties for OU 2 schollys, 1 coach can't recruit, 2 years of probation, loss of a season.

The difference in penalties is staggering, it would be like two guys getting in two different bar fights with the same guy, one gets life in prison the other gets 2 months house arrest. To add insult to injury they only have to disassociate from the booster for 5 years! Auburn and ATM had to permanently disassociate.

The solution is simple, set up mandatory ranges for penalties.

Return to Top
#778067 - 07/18/07 08:37 PM Re: Boomer Sooner Texas Boy
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
petersen didn't have the car for 6 months, just one. and that's while financing was being pursued. evidently this is a common practice among car sales.

i agree the penalty isn't the same as when A&M did it. But that's because all across football things are easier on schools than it was in the 80's and 90's no more death penalties. no real probation.

Return to Top
#778078 - 07/18/07 08:42 PM Re: Boomer Sooner X O
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
It was well past midnight in January 2006 when a user named aggiegrant06 dashed off a thread on TexAgs.com that detailed how his girlfriend handed out payroll checks for a car dealer in Norman, Okla. “She didn’t recognize several of the names,” aggiegrant06 wrote. “She thought it was fishy and asked me.”

at this point it becomes clear this is a lie. first. no erstwhile woman in norman will ever be caught with a bf from tx.
second. to say she didn't recognize the name of one of the 3 biggest names in town is ridiculous. This article is trying to say that she knew everybody on the payroll at a dealership that employs hundreds of people most seasonally. give me break.

Return to Top