Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#773160 - 07/12/07 02:08 PM Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/natio...1&cset=true

"Youngsters who report teasing, rejection, bullying and other types of abuse because of their weight are two to three times more likely to report suicidal thoughts as well as to suffer from other health issues such as high blood pressure and eating disorders, researchers said."

"It comes amid a growing worldwide epidemic of child obesity. By 2010, almost 50 percent of children in North America and 38 percent of children in the European Union will be overweight, the researchers said."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#773171 - 07/12/07 02:14 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TheManofSteel
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
It is sad....Certainly there are medical issues that can cause weight problems, but it stuns me to see these types of statistics. It is too bad kids just can't go out and play anymore-I was talking to a coworker the other day about how we would take off in the morning and come home for dinner-rode bikes, played in the woods, whatever....

Return to Top
#773177 - 07/12/07 02:19 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TB 12
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
In so many ways, we have become a lazy society, and the lack of physical fun you refer to may be a symptom of it. Not saying that is a chief cause of obesity, but I think it is a contributing factor. I remeber some studies a few years back stating that there is a fat cell in the brain that is supposed to regulate when you are satiated from eating, and that many overweight children lacked this or had this in such small quantities, that it failed to register the body's satiation feeling. I believe it was called Leptin.

Return to Top
#773186 - 07/12/07 02:28 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TheManofSteel
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Overwieght children.... does that mean the fat kids?

Return to Top
#773202 - 07/12/07 02:34 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma doobydoobydoo
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDooo

Yes it does. I can't get the George Carlin's stand up routine out of my head, its about euphemisms and the way our language has become bloodless and "harmless".

Return to Top
#773205 - 07/12/07 02:35 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma doobydoobydoo
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDooo

No-it means calorically challenged...

Return to Top
#773210 - 07/12/07 02:37 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma doobydoobydoo
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
I hear everyone blaming the schools because of this.. the food they serve, the lack of physical requirements to pass... What about at home?? I really do think this is an issue because good health habits start young... and after you get to be a certain age you can't blame anyone but yourself for not having proper self control. Now, I'm addressing the people who have serious health issues, not vanity weight.

Parents, lose the junk food and make your kids go out and play.

Return to Top
#773219 - 07/12/07 02:44 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I remember one of the 'fat' kids when I was in grade school. He was teased mercilessly and I think back on those times and feel badly, although I honestly don't think I did any of the teasing.

Well, I saw this 'fat' kid at our 25 year high school reunion. Let me tell you he was tall, thin and incredibly handsome. I guess he got his revenge - huh?

Return to Top
#773221 - 07/12/07 02:46 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: simply sheldon

Bingo!

We were at a sandwich shop (Jimmy John's, if you have them) the other day and this mother,father and daughter all came in. All HUGE...the kid had to be 12-13 was a foot shorter than me (I am 5'7") yet had to weight more than me, an I am 175ish. Anyhoo, Dad proceeds to order for lunch three sandwiches, Mom order two sandwiches, with extra mayo, and the child had one, with extra mayo, plus two bags of chips since she could not decide on one, mom told her to get both!!!

Yeah, I have no idea why you were all huffing and puffing after walking into the store from your car and then to your table. Talk about a slow kill.

Return to Top
#773222 - 07/12/07 02:46 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Skittles
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Parents need to shut of the electronic babysitters (TVs, PCs, and video games) and get the kids out in the yard to play more.

That would probably take care of about 75% of the overweight kids in society today. The other salvageable 20% need to be pushed harder, and fed less.
Last edited by MB Guy; 07/12/07 02:47 PM.

Return to Top
#773232 - 07/12/07 02:52 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma #Just Jay
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
Originally Posted By: simply sheldon

Bingo!

We were at a sandwich shop (Jimmy John's, if you have them) the other day and this mother,father and daughter all came in. All HUGE...the kid had to be 12-13 was a foot shorter than me (I am 5'7") yet had to weight more than me, an I am 175ish. Anyhoo, Dad proceeds to order for lunch three sandwiches, Mom order two sandwiches, with extra mayo, and the child had one, with extra mayo, plus two bags of chips since she could not decide on one, mom told her to get both!!!

Yeah, I have no idea why you were all huffing and puffing after walking into the store from your car and then to your table. Talk about a slow kill.

It really makes me sad when I see this... Not only do these people have no regard for their own health, but their children's... come on America!!!

Return to Top
#773235 - 07/12/07 02:54 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Parents need to shut of the electronic babysitters (TVs, PCs, and video games) and get the kids out in the yard to play more.

EXACTLY!

My best friends' daughter is FAT!!! at age 9. She knows she is overweight, and wants to lose weight so the kids will stop teasing her, and I feel sorry for her and blame her mother 100%. Not only does she learn her sedentary lifestyle from her mother, who comes home from work and sits on the couch or lays down to nap, but when her daughter asks her if she can eat some snacky food, she just says yes. When I'm over, or her father is home, she never asks her mother. She asks one of us. Why? Because the child wants us to tell her no! She's looking for guidance and someone to help her do what she knows is the right thing. But, at the same time, she'd really like something sweet!

Return to Top
#773241 - 07/12/07 02:59 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma B_F
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
I used to be "fat". Not morbidly obese, but I was a chunk. I'm not anymore but I was all through school and it bugged me. You know what did it for me, self realization. Self control was tough at first but if you make it a habit, it sticks.

Return to Top
#773259 - 07/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am convinced that 99.9% of obese, overweight or fat people are so only because of themselves. If you want to look good, and stop being a fat body: work out and change your eating habbits. I have met too many fat people who say there is nothing they can do about it. But they don't do "real excercise" and they surely dont miss a meal.

Return to Top
#773262 - 07/12/07 03:15 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
My biggest pet peeve is when someone who is heavy tries dressing like they are skinny. I don't mean with clothes that don't fit, I mean with clothes that reveal too much. It is as if they are saying, I think I am pretty and I am not going to change my fat [censored] in order to look good. God forbid someone would put a little effort into themselves.

Return to Top
#773263 - 07/12/07 03:18 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Sound Tactic
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Sam Tajikistan
I have met too many fat people who say there is nothing they can do about it.
/

As with most of reality, it is all in one's head. Remember my former tagline, "As A Man Thinketh in His Heart, So Shall He Be."
If an obese person thinks there is nothing he/she can do about it, then that is their reality, and no outside influence will change it, unless he/she changes their thinking.

Return to Top
#773270 - 07/12/07 03:26 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TheManofSteel
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
As a formerly obese person, what really gets me is people who assume that it was easy for me to lose the weight and that if they did the same things I have done (completely change the way that I eat and exercise religiously) that it would not work for them. They refuse to put forth the effort that it takes to safely and permanently lose and maintain the weight loss. Everyone wants to take a pill, lay on the couch with a bag of chips and lose weight - it just doesn't work that way.

Return to Top
#773272 - 07/12/07 03:27 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
Ravenskye Offline
100 Club
Ravenskye
the Otherworld
My kiddos are not fat, they are healthy, energetic children who play. Heck they have so much energy to burn, i need to throw them outside.
I do remember when i was in school, that at lunch we had a chance to go outside after we ate and play until the bell rang, I really don't remember how long lunch actually was, but i remember eating a little bit, or as fast as i could so i could go play. Now, at least at my kids' school, they have 30 minutes must try to eat everything on their plate, cannot talk to each other, and do not go outside to play. If they are done before 30 minutes, they must sit there quietly. The teachers usually go to the class room to eat, and just drop of/pick up the kids.

They also do not have recess, only once a week do they do P.E. It is part of a specials rotation. No wonder kids can't sit still in class, imo. They have no outlet to release that youthful energy.

I am not against video games. My kiddos both play. They both have a DS, and a PS2 in their room and play WoW with me. The PS3 is in the living room. I just regulate what and when they play, and usually its a family thing. Video games did help my son to read faster then other kids in his class. He's going to be in the second grade, reading 3rd/4th grade levels. When they come home from school, its homework time first, then play outside until the sun is going down.

I do think parents need to encourage activities, play an active role in their children's life, and TALK to them. I do not permit making fun of people that are different. Heck, i got teased all the time in school because i was so different, i just let it help forge me into who i am today though.

Return to Top
#773276 - 07/12/07 03:32 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Ravenskye
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Whereya been Raven? I was worried about you.

Good input here. I am giving my pal's son my old supernintendo, but I had reservations about hsi activity. He said not to worry, it is rare you can keep the kid from bustling outdoors.

Return to Top
#773283 - 07/12/07 03:37 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TheManofSteel
Simply Sheldon Offline
Diamond Poster
Simply Sheldon
S.E. TX
Speaking of video games, don't you think the wii is awesome as far as actually getting some physical activity out of it as well. I mean, it's better then just laying/sitting there.

Return to Top
#773284 - 07/12/07 03:37 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma TheManofSteel
Ravenskye Offline
100 Club
Ravenskye
the Otherworld
Hehe, I've been working, but not in banking, hehe, and I don't miss it either!

I actually work at a video game store part time heh, while i finish up with my degree.

Its a fun job, it's one of my hobbies

Return to Top
#773316 - 07/12/07 03:52 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Then there are those in denial. "Sure my BMI says I'm overweight but that does not take into account a lot of things." Some people use every excuse to deny that they are heavy. For men, the BMI is pretty inaccurate especially if you have a lot of muscele, for women, you should be in the BMI range.

Return to Top
#773321 - 07/12/07 03:55 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Simply Sheldon
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
simply, from what i have heard it makes a LOT of sense. anyone remember the nintendo game that had the pad and you gould do the track and field game. i remember sweating my buns off playing that!

now i do WoWcrack by the kilo.

Return to Top
#773322 - 07/12/07 03:56 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Sound Tactic
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Sam Tajikistan
For men, the BMI is pretty inaccurate especially if you have a lot of muscele, for women, you should be in the BMI range.

I could not agree more. I am 5 10 and on the 'heavy end' of normal at 165! If gain 10 pounds I'm in the overwight category. Tell me how 5 10, 175 is overweight?!?!

Return to Top
#773324 - 07/12/07 03:57 PM Re: Overweight Children Face Enormous Stigma Hated By Some
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
simply, from what i have heard it makes a LOT of sense. anyone remember the nintendo game that had the pad and you gould do the track and field game. i remember sweating my buns off playing that!

I loved that track meet game. I remember we would cheat in the long jump by jumping off the pad and back on so the jump would go further...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3