Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#773078 - 07/12/07 01:12 PM Hyrid cars
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Does anyone have a hybrid car? If so, what can do you have and what do/don't you like about it? Can they endure extreme cold? Heat?
Gas prices are forcing me to rethink my daily transportation choices.
Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#773104 - 07/12/07 01:36 PM Re: Hyrid cars blue
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I don't have one, but I know that given the price differential, they're only cost-effective if you drive a lot of miles. Another alternative is to look at some of the sub-compacts -- you can get upper twenties to mid-thirties, and the cars are pretty cheap (no frills though).

Return to Top
#773107 - 07/12/07 01:39 PM Re: Hyrid cars blue
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
blue,

From all the research I've done, you are better off at this point buying a standard car that gets good gas mileage over a hybrid. At this point, hybrids are not a green solution, since the production effects for the battery are terrible for the environment. Hybrids are not the best solution for saving money based on gas consumption, because in order to make up for the additional cost, it would take you over 10 years of keeping the car, and in that time, you are likely to need to replace the battery, which will end up costing you more in the long run than just getting a car with good gas mileage.

I've been looking at vehicles recently, and it looks like a standard economy car, be it a Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or even some of the larger cars are the best long term value.

Here's a helpful site for you.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Return to Top
#773110 - 07/12/07 01:42 PM Re: Hyrid cars The Incredible ComplyGuy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy
I don't have one, but I know that given the price differential, they're only cost-effective if you drive a lot of miles. Another alternative is to look at some of the sub-compacts -- you can get upper twenties to mid-thirties, and the cars are pretty cheap (no frills though).

The Nissan Versa has all the frills of a mid sized car with great gas mileage. The only thing in question is the fact that 2007 was the first year it has been on the market, so you have to ask if all the bugs are worked out. (Yes, I avoid buying 1st generation anything)

Return to Top
#773114 - 07/12/07 01:43 PM Re: Hyrid cars B_F
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
If you're looking at the econo cars, also consider the Hyundai Accent. I just bought a GLS model for my daughter (loaded -- at least as loaded as you can get that kind of car) for under $15k total out-the-door.

Return to Top
#773117 - 07/12/07 01:45 PM Re: Hyrid cars The Incredible ComplyGuy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Hybrid cars are awesome for those who don't enjoy driving, or having fun, or nice cars.

Return to Top
#773167 - 07/12/07 02:11 PM Re: Hyrid cars Sound Tactic
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I just gave up my old Geo Prism for a Ford Focus - both get at least mid-30s to the gallon and the Focus has all the safety features as well. When I researched, basic economy cars seemed every bit as economical, or more than, the hybrids when you look at the total package (esp. purchase price!)

Return to Top
#773169 - 07/12/07 02:13 PM Re: Hyrid cars Sound Tactic
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Some of the crossovers are quite good too. We just got a new 2007 Jeep Compass about 9 months ago. Very nicely equipped (leather, 6 disc, bum warmers and the like) for the low 20's, and I get an average 24-27 mpg between city and highway.

Looking to add a Smart car to the fleet next year too...they are to get 35-40 mpg. Drove one in Canada a couple of times now and quite happy with it.

Return to Top
#773192 - 07/12/07 02:30 PM Re: Hyrid cars #Just Jay
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for all the input and the web link. BTW, bbsgrant, what is a Smart car?
The one I looked at was a Toyota Prius and they grant an 8 year, 100,000 warranty on the battery. I also looked at a Toyota Matrix. Probably at $2-3,000 price difference when equipped the same.

Return to Top
#773196 - 07/12/07 02:31 PM Re: Hyrid cars #Just Jay
A_G Offline
10K Club
Another thing to consider is the tax credit you get from a hybrid. Since the credits are dollar for dollar money back in your pocket, it's almost like money off the sticker price (you just need to wait until tax time). However, the credits are phasing out fast.

Return to Top
#773214 - 07/12/07 02:39 PM Re: Hyrid cars A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

Return to Top
#775404 - 07/14/07 02:29 AM Re: Hyrid cars #Just Jay
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
[quote=bbsgrant].... a Smart car .... they are to get 35-40 mpg. .....[quote]
If that is all you get from a Smart car I certainly wouldn't want to drive one as I already get 32-33mpg from my 2003 4-cyl, stick-shift Accord, a "proper car", that already has 114,000 miles on it, but still drives like new. I sincerely doubt these recently trendy sub compacts would hold as well with that sort of usage.

Return to Top
#775405 - 07/14/07 02:32 AM Re: Hyrid cars blue
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Originally Posted By: blue
...... BTW, bbsgrant, what is a Smart car? .....

I was driving my Alfa Romeo 164 (high-end Sedan, like a BMW 5 Series) on the autobahn in Germany back in February 2000. I was doing about 90mph as I approached Stuttgart, ..... when a Smart car passed me!

Return to Top
#775535 - 07/16/07 01:23 PM Re: Hyrid cars WildTurkey
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: WildTurkey
Originally Posted By: blue
...... BTW, bbsgrant, what is a Smart car? .....

I was driving my Alfa Romeo 164 (high-end Sedan, like a BMW 5 Series) on the autobahn in Germany back in February 2000. I was doing about 90mph as I approached Stuttgart, ..... when a Smart car passed me!

lol bet you felt pretty impotent at that moment!

Return to Top
#775539 - 07/16/07 01:31 PM Re: Hyrid cars B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Jetta TDI - 51 MPG on last tank.

Rented a hydrid SUV a couple of weeks back when traveling for work. Had only 4,000 miles on it, and when doing 75 on the interstate, the electrical system shorted out, causing all power to the car to go out (steering, brakes, lights, etc). It also fried the cell phone that was plugged in and charging. The rental agency said "yeah, that seems to happen to a good number of these hybrids, which is why we won't buy any more."

Wow, 4,000 miles and already having problems (it was foreign, not US made). Not something I want to get involved with.

Return to Top
#775599 - 07/16/07 02:12 PM Re: Hyrid cars HappyGilmore
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
(it was foreign, not US made)

are you sure that it wasn't "us made"?

Return to Top
#775703 - 07/16/07 03:44 PM Re: Hyrid cars Hated By Some
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
are you sure you want to try and debate another topic you know nothing about? better yet, maybe you can do another disseratation on the Al Gore theory that the sky is falling and it is directly correlated to the use on non-greenhouse gases caused by using my cell phoe to call AAA to come tow this piece of junk foriegn made car that died...

Return to Top
#775714 - 07/16/07 03:51 PM Re: Hyrid cars HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Happy, are you aware that more "American" cars like Ford, GM, etc. are made with foreign parts and outside the US than Toyotas?

In an interesting switch over time, the "american" autos are being made in Mexico, while "foreign" cars are being built in the US.

Return to Top
#775718 - 07/16/07 03:54 PM Re: Hyrid cars B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Yes I am, do you have a point here?

Return to Top
#775735 - 07/16/07 04:02 PM Re: Hyrid cars HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: happygilmore
Yes I am, do you have a point here?

Ok

Seems my point is that you do know that the car wasn't a foreign car made in America!

Return to Top
#775754 - 07/16/07 04:19 PM Re: Hyrid cars B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
yes, I do know that...point of entry stamp and plate showing location of manufacture...

Return to Top