Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#781017 - 07/23/07 08:04 PM Payroll Check Cashing Agreement
texasbanker Offline
100 Club
Does anyone have one they would be willing to share. Thanks a bunch.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#781221 - 07/24/07 02:27 AM Re: Payroll Check Cashing Agreement texasbanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What type of agreement? Who would the agreement be with?

Return to Top
#781359 - 07/24/07 02:05 PM Re: Payroll Check Cashing Agreement rlcarey
texasbanker Offline
100 Club
An agreement to cash our business cliets payroll checks drawn on another bank. An agreement to cash their employees payroll cehcks.

Return to Top
#781398 - 07/24/07 02:35 PM Re: Payroll Check Cashing Agreement texasbanker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
If they want you to make an exception like that, then they should be eager and happy to move their payroll accounts to your bank I would imagine.

But to answer your question, no, I do not have any such agreements. The check casher must either be our customer, or the employer must have those accounts with us.

Return to Top
#781484 - 07/24/07 03:35 PM Re: Payroll Check Cashing Agreement #Just Jay
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
A few things to consider:

1.) When the signer that authorizes the check cashing agreement is no longer employed by the corporation, does the agreement end? One signer leaving might impact your entire teller staff who knows a check cashing agreement is "out there." Do you want the responisibilty of policing the signers and communicating that to all tellers?

2.) bbsgrant has the right idea...why would they use a different bank for payroll services but want you to cash their checks? They should move their payroll to you and then there is no problem. You shouldn't have to absorb the cost of tellers to cash non-customer checks without having the payroll account balance at your institution (albeit a payroll account balance is typically low).

3.) You have no way to identify counterfeits as you have no access to signatures, check stock, sequence, etc. Even though the agreement would have some sort of hold-harmless, do you think once a large dolalr item goes through counterfeit that you customer will not put up a fight...to which you'll inccur legal fees?

Not worth it, in my humble opinion.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett