BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#78540 - 05/07/03 12:06 AM Depositor Notice
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Hello:
I sure could use some help on this as my research skills have drawn a blank. How soon must the bank send notice to a depositor in the following circumstances: NSF presentation against their account? ACH return? Return of item deposited to their account?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#78541 - 05/07/03 12:17 AM Re: Depositor Notice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't know about the ACH, but I don't believe that there are requirements for the NSF or returned item at all. They are certainly positive for customer service, but are not Federal requirements that I know of. We searched on NSFs in the past and saw that it may reduce your liability (due to delayed Reg. E claims) but is not a required notice.

Not required = no time frame.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#78542 - 05/07/03 12:25 AM Re: Depositor Notice
Suzie Offline
Platinum Poster
Suzie
Far North
Thanks Andy! So that is why I could not find anything! Under 205.9 statements are covered but that was all I could come up with.

Return to Top
#78543 - 05/07/03 01:40 AM Re: Depositor Notice
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Regarding notice of a returned item deposited to their account, you do have a responsibility and possible liability under Reg CC 229.33(d):

(d) Notification to customer. If the depositary bank receives a returned check or notice of nonpayment, it shall send notice to its customer of the facts by midnight of the banking day following the banking day on which it received the returned check or notice, or within a longer reasonable time.

Basically, if they suffer a loss due to untimely notice, they could try to hold the bank responsible. This is why if you automatically represent returned items a second or third time for a customer you are wise to have a hold harmless agreement in place for delayed notification.

Return to Top