Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#7855 - 12/13/01 08:11 PM record retention schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for a record retention schedule, or any resource or link to where I could find one. I would appreciate any advice or direction anyone could give me. Thanks

Return to Top
General Discussion
#7856 - 12/13/01 08:19 PM Re: record retention schedule
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I have an old (1990) Retention of Bank Records manual from ABA. It has all the states requirements in it. Since I am in Wisconsin, I have the updates for my state from my state's Division of Bank Supervision. But you might want to try aba.com and see if they have a current version of their manual.

Return to Top
#7857 - 12/13/01 08:25 PM Re: record retention schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

consultantguy:The best resource Ive come across is the American Bankers Association Records Retention for Financial Institutions Manual issued in 1995.

It compiles almost all of the federal and state laws applicable to a bank's operations across the country. The only thing it lacks is a discussion of retention requirements imposed by the bank regulators and required by consumer banking regulations (the "alphabet" regs).

I did some research on this topic earlier this year and couldnt locate a free resource on the internet (or elsewhere) that comprehensively addressed the topic. The ABA Manual, however, was a very helpful starting point; unfortunately it isnt free and would have to be ordered from the ABA.

I AM NOT ENGAGED IN PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE AND THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE NOT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER

Return to Top
#7858 - 12/13/01 08:38 PM Re: record retention schedule
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Good luck! I just went through this search after being given the task of cleaning out our archives (hadn't been done since the Cashier was a rookie, and his motto is "when in doubt, throw it out!"). The most recent schedule we had was the 1990 one from ABA. I go back a ways, and even I couldn't figure out what they meant by the titles of some of the documents. Our state banking assn. referred us to a for-fee vendor. I called our local OCC office to see if they used a particular schedule, and they said no. The for-fee vendor's product isn't terribly expensive, but in my no-budget environment, there was no way I was going to get approval for a product to tell us what we could throw out (which also cost $$$ for secure disposal).

------------------

Return to Top
#7859 - 12/13/01 09:22 PM Re: record retention schedule
trainer53 Offline
trainer53
The Kirchman Corporation Compliance Manual is a must!

This compliance manual addresses record retention in all areas and also includes a wonderful record retention table.

[This message has been edited by pmbush (edited 12-13-2001).]

Return to Top
#7860 - 12/17/01 02:54 PM Re: record retention schedule
prosperity Offline
prosperity
Houston, TX
You might also try the Texas Bankers Association Records Retention Manual - reasonably priced and is not limited to state law.

Return to Top
#7861 - 12/17/01 03:23 PM Re: record retention schedule
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for your help. With your help I found one online in the BOB(big orange book)through Kirchman. Thankyou

Return to Top
#7862 - 12/17/01 03:36 PM Re: record retention schedule
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Don't forget to look to your State for additional retentions!

Return to Top