Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#788113 - 08/02/07 06:02 PM Audit of Credit Reports Pulled
In Need of Help 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Would anyone be willing to share what methods you are using for auditing consumer credit reports which are pulled by various bank employees? Or, is it considered such a small risk factor that it does not merit auditing?

Recently we had an issue where a CSR pulled multiple reports without a legitimate purpose. It happened that the person who pays the bills noticed that the CSR had pulled a report on himself as well as other family members.

Any suggestions?

Return to Top
Audit
#788124 - 08/02/07 06:12 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled In Need of Help 101
Passing storm Offline
100 Club
Here and Now
Is there a control in place to reconcile the billing of credit report fees to loans or applications. It seems if someone was pulling credit reports that they shouldn't it would show up on the billing.

Return to Top
#788128 - 08/02/07 06:17 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Passing storm
Platinum Poster
Nope...not at our bank.

Return to Top
#788152 - 08/02/07 06:26 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled In Need of Help 101
Passing storm Offline
100 Club
Here and Now
Well it looks like you have a good reason to recommend such a thing. Perhaps your audit step could be to compare the credit report bill to real applications.

It seems that there is a risk of privacy violations if CSR can pull credit reports on who ever they want.

Return to Top
#788175 - 08/02/07 06:40 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Passing storm
vilo Offline
New Poster
vilo
We have a person who is responsible to match the credit bureau bill against loans made or denied. He is supposed to be looking for exactly that situation. His results are reported to compliance..and no, he does not pull credit reports. We have only 3 people company-wide with that authority(centralized)

Return to Top
#788251 - 08/02/07 07:11 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled vilo
Platinum Poster
Is the entire bill reconciled, or a sampling?

Return to Top
#788280 - 08/02/07 07:28 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled In Need of Help 101
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
We reconcile the entire bill but we aren't a large bank. It would seem with the issues you are having you might want to reconcile the entire bill for a few months anyway.

Return to Top
#788373 - 08/02/07 08:14 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled RR Sarah
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
When we did a similar audit, we pulled a sample.

Return to Top
#788564 - 08/02/07 11:21 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Passing storm
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Passing storm
Well it looks like you have a good reason to recommend such a thing. Perhaps your audit step could be to compare the credit report bill to real applications.

It seems that there is a risk of privacy violations if CSR can pull credit reports on who ever they want.

Privacy is the least of concerns - see the FCRA:

§ 619. Obtaining information under false pretenses [15 U.S.C. § 1681q] Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

Return to Top
#788627 - 08/03/07 12:37 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled rlcarey
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I agree with Randy. When we performed our audit, we tested to make sure that there was a valid reason for pulling credit reports. We also looked at what departments other than lending were pulling credit reports.

Return to Top
#788691 - 08/03/07 01:34 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Dazed Auditor
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We have faced the same situation of trying to reconcile the bill to actual reports pulled. This can be labor intensive as we order hundreds and hundreds of reports each month. We do Indirect Loans so reports could be with new loans or denied loans. We now do sampling audits and we also created a form that must be signed by each employee authorized to order reports, that details "permissable purposes", responsibilities, penalties for misuse, and has a FAQ section.

I think its a good form, created by our Compliance Officer, and the signed form is placed in the employee's H/R file. I'd be glad to share, if anyone thinks they'd like to see it.

Return to Top
#788782 - 08/03/07 02:41 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled HRH Okie Banker
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
If you e-mail the form to one of the moderators, they can put it in the forms toolbox.

Al

Return to Top
#789040 - 08/03/07 04:46 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Al Miller
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'll be glad to share. How do I get the email address of a moderator?

Return to Top
#789086 - 08/03/07 05:08 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled HRH Okie Banker
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA

Return to Top
#789236 - 08/03/07 06:14 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled Al Miller
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks Al. I just sent it to Andy. Just PM me if anyone would like a copy now.

Return to Top
#789643 - 08/04/07 01:39 PM Re: Audit of Credit Reports Pulled HRH Okie Banker
KLouise Offline
100 Club
Missouri
We are a small bank...it is my responsibility to look over every bill and determine that credit bureaus are pulled for a specific purpose. I would recommend that, even in a small bank (we are under $100 million), that the number of people able to pull reports is limited AND that each user have a specific login id. You can then tell who is requesting credit reports on whom.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z