Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#79031 - 05/09/03 09:29 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

If the government wants to take an official stance, they can be sure to tick a whole lot of people off either way.

They already did take an official stance on this. Read the White House link I provided.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#79032 - 05/09/03 10:20 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Quote:

Don, how will a lender know what is the "first code" entered by an applicant? The applicant might mark 2 or more race categories by marking boxes. Which is first, second, etc.?

The first race code is what ever is entered in the first field of HMDA data collection software.

IMO its will be this way as there are over 64 combinations of Race codes and ethnicity codes that could be used for analysis purposes, and thats way out of line. So I believe you will see the "White Alone", "Black Alone" etc and then a "Two or More Races" category

I think we will wind up with 7 or 8 race related categories for analysis purposes.

Return to Top
#79033 - 05/09/03 10:45 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Wonderland Offline
New Poster
Wonderland
California
First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my posting. It's a thorny issue. Our bank had a big HMDA 2004 Task Force meeting today, in which we discussed the issue in some depth. I believe that my bank will do very well from a compliance standpoint, in adhering to all the new requirements, but that we all face an equally important HUMAN challenge with the new race/ethnicity issue. There is a rapidly-growing Hispanic home-owner population in our lending area, and we are very sensitive to the need to treat everyone with the dignity and respect they deserve. We're considering engaging a consultant to assist us with devising the training, role-playing, scripting, etc. to get us where we want to be.

Return to Top
#79034 - 05/10/03 08:41 AM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I, for one, am wondering why there are only two ethnicities in the world. Either your Hispanic/Latino or you're not. I simply find that amazing.

As for the questions of race, quite frankly our own government has been one of the biggest offenders in deciding who is "white" and who is not.

I watched an interesting program on PBS on this very topic. Interesting to find out that at one point, Italians and Poles were not considered "white." Unfortunately, our own government was pretty heavy handed in many discriminatory policies. That's what makes this heavy handed attempt at non-discrimination all the more frustrating.

PBS: Race - the Power of Illusion

Return to Top
#79035 - 05/10/03 08:55 AM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Consider the next time my husband and I apply for a loan, what would we mark for ethnicity? My husband's family is a particular Middle Eastern people that originally came from Spain over 500 years ago. Hispanic or not?

What really drives me crazy on this is I do not see HOW this data will provide any useful information on racial discrimination. There are simply two many variant data categories to provide any meaningful analysis.

Quite frankly, a more useful test (for me at least) would be the question:

- Is this person someone my grandfather would have objected to?

He's long gone, but his attitude of racial bigotry still leaves a bad memory for me.

Return to Top
#79036 - 05/11/03 06:08 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Let me throw in a couple more items to think about. If you have a population of hispanic origin, or polish, or german, or irish, or any other NATIONALITY, addressing the credit needs is not a racial issue, its a marketing issue. Marketing to a NATIONALITY sucessfully means being sensitive to the language and culture of that NATIONALITY. Its is easy to mix up race, ethnicity and nationality issues. As long as you accept a population of Hispanic or Latino origin as a racial issue you are off the mark.

As far as what do I mark as a race. You can call yourself anything you want. This is not a test for accuracy and does not call for an audit procedure. If a person of color marks themselves as white accept it. As bankers we are prone to generate absolutes, however this is a process of generalities which requires looking at a very big picture instead of an application on the desk. It will all seem pointless unless an understanding of the politics and goals now in play are understood.

Quote:

I, for one, am wondering why there are only two ethnicities in the world. Either your Hispanic/Latino or you're not.

Just my speculation but the Hispanic population is a large part of many communities. There is a tendency for this population to cluster in a barrio. The income levels of the population is low which usually makes the census tract income classification of the barrio Low. Same applies to the black population, but they are a Race and are analized as a Race. The Hispanic population has many of the same minority characteristics as the black community, but are not segmented as a Race, the Hispanic or Latino creates a minority category which does allow for their inclusion in Fair Lending analysis.

Return to Top
#79037 - 05/11/03 06:35 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Nothing to do with HMDA itself, but if you read about genetics and DNA, there really are no races. Races are divisions created by people. We are really divided by cultures, which are really reflect by ethnicity. Many of the groups now included in white (that were not originally viewed as white, which was actually just WASP) have lost much of their ethnicity because they had to suppress much of their culture to assimilate so they could get jobs.

However, because people treat people in certain ways due to opinions, beliefs, etc., this kind of tracking is something we must do to attempt to detect patterns etc.

People can check off whatever they want that reflects how they view themselves, as best they can reflect it with the choices presented. And we will track it; that is all I can do. It may be that this gets changed again if it creates a public outcry. So make your systems flexible. Maybe table driven so changes can be made easily!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#79038 - 05/12/03 02:29 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Unfortunately, our own government was pretty heavy handed in many discriminatory policies. That's what makes this heavy handed attempt at non-discrimination all the more frustrating.

Ditto. I watched a program regarding housing, the availability of it, appraisals of it, etc. After WWII when home ownership became an easier reality for all Americans, property value was determined based on whether or not the neighborhood was a "white" neighborhood. The whiter the neighborhood, the higher the property value. Yes, this was written in federal law!! If even one or two black families moved into the neighborhood, the property value declined! This was called "blockbusting". And the predominently black neighborhoods were designated on city maps with red (redlining??). So white peoples' houses accrued in value and black (and other races/ethnicties) peoples' houses declined in value. This is why it was easier for white people to take out a second mortgage to send kids to college, etc. President Johnson signed the bill that "wrote the language out" of the law. But the impacts were and are far reaching. So basically, the government is cleaning up it's own mess with HMDA, ECOA, FHA, etc, to make sure we (BANKS) don't descriminate......

Whatever......

Return to Top
#79039 - 05/12/03 03:33 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Quote:

Don, how will a lender know what is the "first code" entered by an applicant? The applicant might mark 2 or more race categories by marking boxes. Which is first, second, etc.?

The first race code is what ever is entered in the first field of HMDA data collection software.

Let me try again: How will a banker know which if the first race code? If the applicant is 75% asian and 25% black and they mark these two race boxes, how will the HMDA Software input person know to put asian before black. What if the black is entered as race #1 and asian is entered as race #2?

Return to Top
#79040 - 05/12/03 03:45 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Those were my thoughts as well, David. And if Don's prediction of the analysis processes is correct, wouldn't the banking community be likely to respond by listing the more 'minority' one first? That will definitely make for some interesting statistics!

Return to Top
#79041 - 05/12/03 04:05 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
It doesn't matter what percentage of a race a person is. There is no measurement of the percentage.

The data entry person will just enter the codes as marked on the LAR Form. If a person marks Black in Box 1 and Asian in box 2 then that is how the data will be entered.

My speculation on the analysis is that with 7 race codes for borrower and 7 for the co-borrower plus 4 ethnicity codes for each. There will be to many combibations of race and ethnicity codes to make any sense out of that many analysis reports.

I see it as analysis by "Race alone" and "Race of more than one race".

I.E. Black Alone (no other race indicated) Black, More that one Race ( Black checked in Box 1 and other race codes entered.

Return to Top
#79042 - 05/12/03 04:49 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
Among those "in the know", caucasian is a language, not a race.

Much of the misuse traces to Hitler's twisted agenda.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

Return to Top
#79043 - 05/12/03 04:58 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

The data entry person will just enter the codes as marked on the LAR Form. If a person marks Black in Box 1 and Asian in box 2 then that is how the data will be entered.

But I don't see a Box 1 and a Box 2 on the GMI collection form. There are just race boxes, in no order. I agree with Lestie G. Banks will start listing first those minorities to which they don't have many loans.

I understand what you are saying about the analysis, but I think this is a confusing area.

Return to Top
#79044 - 05/12/03 05:28 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
By asking a mortgage applicant about his/her race and ethnicity, we are effectively asking, "If someone were to hate you for some portion of your ancestry, which is the portion that is most likely"?

Someone like Will Rogers would have to decide, should he "pass for white" - hoping to obtain a favorable mortgage - or defiantly proclaim his indigenous heritage.

Return to Top
#79045 - 05/12/03 05:29 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
David,
I am looking at a proposed HMDA LAR form, and yes it will be confusing, and yes it does apperar to be open to some manipulation. One thing to keep in mind is that a very small percentage of the population indicated more than one race in the census data, so it may not be as big a problem as we think.

Return to Top
#79046 - 05/12/03 05:57 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

This is more information than was asked for but, in the 2000 census the count was 75,830,000 Hispanics or Latino's of any race. This is 1.7% of the total US population.

This drives me nuts. What is the reflection on data collection if we choose to acknowledge either "Hispanic or Latino" (1.7% of the population) or not Hispanic or Latino?

While the theory that this group clusters and is underserved sounds reasonable, this is 1.7% of the population in the US. There are other groups who cluster and are underserved in that 98.3% remaining balance who probably should be accounted for as well.

Want to start or increase bias in our country? Ask if you're "Hispanic or Latino or Not Hispanic or Latino" the balance of the US isn't important....

All populations are important to serve, and yes, the Hispanic and Latino populations are among those, but is it more important to monitor one group than another group with equal disadvantage?

I'm not saying, "Count the Irish" but sheesh, lets be a little more broad?

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#79047 - 05/12/03 06:22 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

By asking a mortgage applicant about his/her race and ethnicity, we are effectively asking, "If someone were to hate you for some portion of your ancestry, which is the portion that is most likely"?

Someone like Will Rogers would have to decide, should he "pass for white" in hopes that he would help obtain a favorable mortgage, or defiantly proclaim his indigenous heritage.

I don't agree with you Carl. I also think that this string has gotten off the path. I'm not saying that the new GMI logic is perfect, but we've taken a turn on this string. Now we seem to be fighting the government for it's attempts to stop discrimination.

Return to Top
#79048 - 05/12/03 06:25 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think I tried to correct that. Don meant that to be 17% and it is growing rapidly. I sure will be glad when no matter what color or race or ethnic background we are, we will all be minorities - just a giant mixing pot. That way maybe we can all just get along. Until then, I think the latest moves on the government data catagories will pretty much make analysis for fair lending means meaningless.

Return to Top
#79049 - 05/12/03 06:31 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I missed that but still 83% are not of value to the government monitoring?

You're right David, we're off line But if this is where the conversations goes among the bankers, we're going to have a heck of a time getting this across to consumers. I'm about at a point of shrugging my shoulders and suggesting folks pick a box...any box....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#79050 - 05/12/03 07:09 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
I agree about the off-path remark David. Again, this comes back to...how will we train our front-line staff on explaining these categories when applicants ask, "Well, what I should I mark here?" Will it be best to just say, "Well, I cannot answer that for you. You will need to go to the government to answer that. In the meantime, just mark whatever you want" ????? That is the frustrating part. Just makes the information and analysis more unreliable, but we don't have a choice. At least before, they had an "other" box to choose from that generally seemed to appease the applicants who did not feel they fell into one of the categories.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#79051 - 05/12/03 07:26 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Yes "Other" has ben deleted as a Race selection. The Race codes in 2004 will be.
1=American Indian or Alaska Native
2=Asian
3=Black or African American
4=Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
5=White
6=Information Not Provided by Applicant in Mail,Internet or telephone Application
7=Not Applicable

The following is from the HMDA 2004 file specification instructions

At least one code selection must be made in the applicant and co-applicant race categories. However, since an applicant and a co-applicant may select more than one race designation on an application and the institution is to report all the codes corresponding to the applicant and co-applicant’s selections, an application or loan could contain codes 1 through 5 for each individual.

Return to Top
#79052 - 05/14/03 02:19 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Frivolity, I was reviewing loan files for HMDA accuracy, and one applicant checked
off "other" and wrote in "Italian". ???? Huh?

Return to Top
#79053 - 05/14/03 02:23 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I will be very happy when "other" is no longer a choice. We've had customers write in "Human" and "American", as well as their country of origin (Italian, German, Greek, etc).

Return to Top
#79054 - 05/14/03 02:38 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Quote:

Frivolity, I was reviewing loan files for HMDA accuracy, and one applicant checked
off "other" and wrote in "Italian". ???? Huh?

I reviewed a file where an applicant checked other and wrote in caucasian. I guess "white" confused him.

Return to Top
#79055 - 05/14/03 03:44 PM Re: HMDA : Race vs. ethnicity
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I reviewed a file where an applicant checked other and wrote in caucasian. I guess "white" confused him.

It may be a matter of preference or origin. Many people will quickly tell you that if you need to classify them, they are "black" not "African American".

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z