Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#790870 - 08/07/07 08:57 PM HELOC closure fee??
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I have a new director that wants us to impose a early closure fee on our HELOC loans. He knows he can't charge them for pre payment on the loan, but if they close it he wants to charge them $200. I don't think it's allowed...can anyone help me? I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide!!(This would be on new ones only, and I am in WI if that makes a difference)

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#790874 - 08/07/07 09:01 PM Re: HELOC closure fee?? Beagles22
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
That still would be a pre-payment penalty regardless what he calls it. State law will govern pre-payment penalties. You also cannot charge it to the existing accounts because it has not been contracted for.

Return to Top
#790893 - 08/07/07 09:26 PM Re: HELOC closure fee?? Dan Persfull
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
There is a technicality here.

It is clearly a pre-payment fee if the bank charges a fee when the HELOC is paid to $0.00. However, is it still a pre-payment fee if the bank does not charge a fee for paying the balance off, but only upon closure of the line within a set time period?

Example: Balance goes to $0 at month two and line is closed - fee charged; However, balance goes to $0 at month two, line closed 3 years later - no fee charged.

Return to Top
#790930 - 08/07/07 10:15 PM Re: HELOC closure fee?? SavannahOne
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
That is still going to be a state law issue. In IN you could not contract for such a fee. It is not an allowable charge under the IC. You could contract for a pre-payment fee, but using your technicality, you could not contract for a "closure" fee.

Return to Top
#790951 - 08/08/07 01:02 AM Re: HELOC closure fee?? Dan Persfull
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'm not a WI expert by any means, but the statutes do not specifically define "prepayment penalty" and just use the term "penalty" very liberally. I would be looking for a legal opinion prior to engaging in this type of practice.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z