Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#796268 - 08/16/07 04:04 PM Credit card - can you charge fee for new card?
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
Can the bank charge a fee to customers who want to close their credit card and have a new one reissued?
Support services states that they have had a few clients who have given out their numbers to companies on a trial basis, declined the service but the company charged their card anyway. Now they want to close their card. Support services does not feel that the card needs to be cancelledand wants to start charging a fee for this, any opinions?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#796795 - 08/16/07 08:42 PM Re: Credit card - can you charge fee for new card? Baker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can charge any fees you want, unless prohibited by State law, as long as it is disclosed and contracted for properly.

Return to Top
#797133 - 08/17/07 01:49 PM Re: Credit card - can you charge fee for new card? Baker
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
But if you charge them for a new card, don't they have the option of going to a different bank where they could get the card free?

Return to Top
#797161 - 08/17/07 02:12 PM Re: Credit card - can you charge fee for new card? LoisLane
A_G Offline
10K Club
I agree Lois, but it also teaches the customer some responsibility. In the past we never charged for replacement cards. But it seems the same people lose them over and over and over and over...now that we started to charge those same people don't seem to lose them as much!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z