Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#80114 - 05/14/03 12:53 PM HMDA
bean Offline
100 Club
Good morning:

I know it's early to be asking this question, but here goes.
I thought that if you have a multi-family 1-4 units that would be HMDA reportable.
Would then anything above 1-4 not be HMDA reportable?

Thanks

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#80115 - 05/14/03 01:02 PM Re: HMDA
complylady Offline
Platinum Poster
complylady
Michigan
multifamily units are reportable as HMDA, multifamily is defined as 5 or more family. Also 3 duplexes (6 units) is not multifamily as the units are 1-4 family. A mobile home park with 10 mobile homes is also not multifamily. An apartment complex with 5 units would be multifamily and reportable as such. See HMDA Getting it Right for guidance.

Return to Top
#80116 - 05/14/03 01:36 PM Re: HMDA
bean Offline
100 Club
Thanks for responding...

Now I am confused, because I printed up some of the getting it right pages and they discuss loans on condos & cooperatives as 1-4 family dwellings.
So basically you need to really know the # of families living in the building and if there are 5 or more families
then it is HMDA reportable?

That sounds contradicting???

Lisa

Return to Top
#80117 - 05/14/03 02:13 PM Re: HMDA
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Quote:

Thanks for responding...

Now I am confused, because I printed up some of the getting it right pages and they discuss loans on condos & cooperatives as 1-4 family dwellings.
So basically you need to really know the # of families living in the building and if there are 5 or more families
then it is HMDA reportable?

That sounds contradicting???

Lisa

Bean, I believe Getting It Right is referring to individual condos. If I purchase one condo in a building that has 5 or more units, I have purchased a 1-4 family unit. If I buy the whole complex with 5 or more units, it is coded multi-family.

Return to Top
#80118 - 05/14/03 02:16 PM Re: HMDA
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
Condos and coops are considered 1-4 family because each unit is looked at as a separate dwelling. The coding for multifamily properties is different than for 1-4 family dwellings, but they all need to be reported on the HMDA-LAR.

Return to Top
#80119 - 05/14/03 02:21 PM Re: HMDA
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Bean,

A 1-4 family dwelling is any residential dwelling with less than 5 units. 5 or more units make a multi-family unit. The units do not have to be owner occupied. And if you have 5 families living in a 10 bedroom house, it is not a multi-family unit, it is a 1-4 family unit. 1-4 and multi refers to the design of the unit. Was it designed for 1 family to live in or was it designed for multiple families to live in?

Condos and cooperatives are individual 1-4 family units under one roof, each unit has its own deed and individual owners. When you make a loan to someone for a condo you do not have a lien on the whole condo complex, just the individual unit that the person is buying or refinancing.

Take a 50 apartment complex. If the owner of the complex “rents” each apartment then it is a multi-family unit. If the owner decides to make the “apartment” complex a “condo” complex and starts “selling” and deeding the individual “apartments”, they now become 1-4 family units.

I hope this helps, I know what I’m trying to tell you, but I’m not sure if I did a very good job of it in writing.

Return to Top
#80120 - 05/14/03 02:41 PM Re: HMDA
bean Offline
100 Club
I just looked at my 2002 Mastering HMDA book and realized while we are on this multi-family subject, I see that code #4 of multi-family will no longer be an option in 2004.

What does that mean for 5 or more family properties???

HELP

Thanks

Return to Top
#80121 - 05/14/03 02:52 PM Re: HMDA
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Quote:

I just looked at my 2002 Mastering HMDA book and realized while we are on this multi-family subject, I see that code #4 of multi-family will no longer be an option in 2004.

What does that mean for 5 or more family properties???

HELP

Thanks

They are adding Property Type to the LAR, and it will be code 3. (I may not have the latest update, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Return to Top
#80122 - 05/14/03 02:58 PM Re: HMDA
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
In 2004 you'll report:

Purpose:
1. Home Purchase
2. Home improvement
3. Refinancing

Property Type:
1. 1-4 Family (other than manufactured housing)
2. Manufactured housing
3. Muti-family

Return to Top
#80123 - 05/14/03 04:37 PM Re: HMDA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

then it is HMDA reportable ?

You are needing to how to report it.....not whether or not "it is HMDA reportable."

A loan is reportable under HMDA if the loan is:
  • to purchase a dwelling and is secured by a dwelling (doesn't have to be the same dwelling)
  • to improve a dwelling provided that the loan is classified as a home improvement loan at the bank (this changes next year!!)
  • to refinance a dwelling

According to the definition of a dwelling under HMDA, a dwelling:
  • Does not have to be the borrower's principal
  • Does not have to be attached to real property (manufactured housing is considered a dwelling)
  • Is not restricted as to size (apartment complexes, duplexes, quads, condos are all considered dwellings)

Return to Top
#80124 - 05/14/03 05:54 PM Re: HMDA
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Let me just add here that it is a VERY common misperception that Apartment buildings are not HMDA reportable.

Some of the biggest challenges are with the Commercial Real Estate departments that may provide financing to purchase or refi an apartment. Most of the lenders generally deal with commercial property, and they think of apartment as "Investment" property.

The fact that it is RESIDENTIAL investment property seems to escape them.

It's also a good idea to check how these properties are getting reported on your Call Report. Multi-family dwellings should NOT be reported on line RC-C 1e. They belong on RC-C 1d.

Return to Top
#80125 - 05/14/03 05:59 PM Re: HMDA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Yes. I find quite frequently that our lenders assign the collateral code pertaining to "commercial real estate"......even though we have a separate code for "multi-family dwellings."

duh

Return to Top
#80126 - 05/30/03 08:41 PM Re: HMDA
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about a loan to refinance the purchase of an assisted living facility. Would it be HMDA reportable, and if so if it has ten beds would it be a multi-family or a 1-4 family?

Return to Top
#80127 - 05/30/03 08:50 PM Re: HMDA
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
I would report the loan. If the facility has 10 separate apartments, I would report as multi-family. If it is more of a group home type arrangement, say with 5 bedrooms sleeping 2 each, and common living areas, I would report as 1-4 family.

Return to Top
#80128 - 05/31/03 12:49 AM Re: HMDA
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Actually I think the last scenario would be more complicated. An "assisted living facility" is basically a service enterprise. (See CRA Data Collection Guide) Loans to include as small business include: "service enterprises such as hotels, motels, laundries, automotive service stations and nursing homes and hospitals operated for profit"

The idea being that the clients are paying for the assistance as part of their room and board verses a typical "rental" housing scenario. If it were 10 rooms rented to individuals with no services, I'd lean on HMDA but if it is assisted living, with services being provided to allow for the ability to live independently or in a nursing home, I'd call it a type 1 small business loan (with 10 rooms). If it were a home used for assisted living (the smaller scenario presented) I'd call it a type 3 (other business loans which are not reported for CRA purposes)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z